General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hamstring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-03 11:45 AM

Subject: Sore Hamstring
My hamstring is quite tender - quick question - would a deep tissue massage help or hinder. Thanks

2013-07-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Sore Hamstring

It can help IF, and only IF you have a really good therapist who knows the body and understands how to handle injuries.  My masseuse has a ton of experience with endurance athletes and injuries.  Every time I have a sore spot, she can feel the connective tissue and determine whether or not there's an adhesion (injury) at the site or not.  Often it's just swelling and massaging the area does help.

Conversely, I've had therapists in the past who seem to not know what they're doing.  I imagine something like that could potentially make an injury worse.

Make an appointment only after asking the masseuse very specifically whether or not he/she has experience treating injured athletes.  Even if there is an adhesion there, massaging the surrounding areas will help promote healing and decrease swelling.

2013-07-03 12:08 PM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Sore Hamstring

Agree with what noelle said -- if you know the massage therapist is very good and understands how to handle hamstring injuries, it could be helpful.

On the other hand, if you know of someone around (possibly a chiropractor or physical therapist) who does ART, I'd highly suggest looking into that.  ART has helped a lot with muscular / tendon type injuries for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hamstring Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running: How sore is TOO sore?

Started by mcstrangelove
Views: 2433 Posts: 21

2010-10-09 6:43 AM newbz

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

How sore it too sore?

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1517 Posts: 20

2006-02-10 6:54 PM element

Sore Hamstrings

Started by rock8888
Views: 3033 Posts: 9

2005-07-06 3:55 PM madeye

hamstring woes

Started by CindyK
Views: 706 Posts: 7

2004-11-07 12:08 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I have been having a right hamstring issue over the last four weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I just pulled it pretty good but would like some advice. How long does it take for it to completely heal?
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : April 11, 2007
comments : 1
This is a “hip-butt” injury, which describes the location of the insertion of the hamstring tendon at the base of the pelvis on the ischial tuberosity very well. They are difficult to treat.
date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?

date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?