General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-04 7:31 PM

Subject: Open Water Swimming
Hey guys,
I'm new to triathlon I have my first sprint distance in 2 weeks, I am also registered for an Olympic distance in a month. I am a strong runner and I've become quite comfortable on the bike (avg 28-30 km/hr). I am also a good swimmer in the pool but I had my first open water swim a few days ago, a 500m, and it went horrible. Just couldn't get in the swing of it and found the wetsuit every hard to adjust too. Is this normal for the first time?

2013-07-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: wsd314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Open Water Swimming
Yes. You are normal. Pool swims are easy. OWS swimming is somewhat difficult because there is no wall, no lane and no line.
The wetsuit thing is something you will have to get used to or get a better fitting one. For sprints, don't use one. Unless its cold.
Find a group OWS near you and get used to it.
2013-07-04 8:54 PM
in reply to: louamerica

I joined a group and the water is cold where I'm too. The wetsuit is needed. Thanks.
2013-07-05 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Yes Very Very Common, get in the water early when you go to your group swim if you can, float around in the wetsuit for awhile to get used to it, warm up a bit close to shore while waiting for the group swim to start, its amazing 15 to 20 minutes in the water before the swim starts will relax you a lot. also the more OWS swims you do the easier it will become it took me about 4 OWS to get really comfortable in the water, even the first swim this year after more then 20 OWS's last year was a disaster for me with a couple of panic attacks where I just had to roll over on My back and float for a bit to gather it back up but the next week after that it was like back to being old Hat again with no problems what so ever.
2013-07-05 8:44 AM

User image

What's going on with the wetsuit? Restrictive , mobility , balance everything ?
2013-07-05 3:13 PM

User image

One awesome trick that I always do during OWS, especially long-distance ones (5 miles+) is to seriously just wait on the shore for people to go...about 30 seconds or so, and then I go. That way, if I don't catch up to the pack, I have my own space and own room, and if I do catch up to the pack, everyone is spread out enough where I can safely pass them without having to be in the middle of the Cuisinart start.

OWS is all about staying calm and getting into your own pace, while blocking out everyone else. I find this easiest if I just let everyone go and I do my thing.

2013-07-06 4:07 AM
in reply to: KatieSwim12

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
yes its normal from my experience. I'm in Ireland so all my OWS's are with a wetsuit.

While the wetsuit is great for giving you added buoyancy this throws your stroke out to begin with making your timing feel way off. If your confident in the pool then I'm confident you will be fine in the open too with a little practice. Just relax, slow your stroke down, concentrate on your breathing and take i t easy to begin with. If possible at your location swim shorter distaces parallel to the shore to begin with just to get your confidence up.

I love OWS's now - much rather them to the pool and try to get them in as often as possible. Have fun!
2013-07-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

Thanks everyone. After practicing with the wetsuit a few times I'm very relaxed in open water now!
2013-07-20 10:45 PM
in reply to: KatieSwim12

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Originally posted by KatieSwim12 One awesome trick that I always do during OWS, especially long-distance ones (5 miles+) is to seriously just wait on the shore for people to go...about 30 seconds or so, and then I go. That way, if I don't catch up to the pack, I have my own space and own room, and if I do catch up to the pack, everyone is spread out enough where I can safely pass them without having to be in the middle of the Cuisinart start. OWS is all about staying calm and getting into your own pace, while blocking out everyone else. I find this easiest if I just let everyone go and I do my thing.

Great advice

2013-07-21 8:24 AM

User image

I find that just getting in the water and floating around and getting in a relaxed state of mind helps. You are lucky in that you are a good swimmer, you will adjust quickly!

Patti
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1283 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2313 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.