General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping the weight on... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-05 6:23 PM

User image

Subject: Keeping the weight on...
Do you guys ever reach a point where it feels like you just can't keep the weight from coming off, even if you don't want it to? Last year I was at about 175 and my goal was to get over 180 with strength training. Well this week I weighted myself and with shorts and shoes on at the gym, I'm now at 158. About 20 pounds lost in just over a year. It's not like I was out of shape then and it's not like I'm out of shape now but my family commented on how veiny I look, and I've noticed the same thing. Arms, legs, and even my mid torso now show a lot of veins. I eat all the time though and I'm looking forward for peak week to be over so I can hopefully stop eating so much. I almost feel sick at work since I eat from 9am to 3pm (toast, lunch, weight gainer + any other snack like a banana or granola). I guess it's good for "race weight" but I'm thinking of trying to put on a few more pounds before my race. I can tell that I've burned some muscles, even though I try to race home and make some protein drink and eat an hour afterwards. What do you guys think? Maintain current weight or try to put on like 2-4 pounds over the next 3 weeks for the race? I'm hoping to go to the gym 2x a week after this week and do some strength training, which I sort of neglected this month.

2013-07-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Subject: RE: Keeping the weight on...
158lbs, all depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'11" and I usually stay between 160-165lbs. I'm down to 159 with my peak training and I have hit as low as 157lbs. Personally, I like being lighter because I feel faster but when I hit 157lbs I don't feel as strong and maybe slightly dizzy. I also don't lift to increase muscle mass. I like that my veins show, especially the large one that runs down the back of my leg.
2013-07-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Akron
I wish I had ur problem! Maybe you should eater sooner after your work outs and add more carbs, just not protein. 3:1 or 4:1 carbs to protein, My veins show though. I think that just shows strength! Woof!

Edited by SEADOCHA 2013-07-05 7:48 PM
2013-07-05 8:56 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

I like the vein look too. I think it shows how lean and dedicated I am I'm a healthier eater than I was but I still eat a lot of junk. I try to eat as soon as I can stomach it but it varies on how long my workout is and how far away from home I am. On my long bike days, I stop and get a chocolate shake on the way home to help hold me over.

I am a little concerned about trying to get some strength back in my legs, that's one of the questions I had here. I know strength and endurance don't mix well but I plateaued on my bike and really need to mash it to get to my target HR now but doing that really causes muscle burn. I can keep it up but seems like a lot of work just to remain in Z2. I thought some extra strength may help but don't know if it's worth it at this point.
2013-07-06 3:33 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by Blastman Do you guys ever reach a point where it feels like you just can't keep the weight from coming off, even if you don't want it to? Last year I was at about 175 and my goal was to get over 180 with strength training. Well this week I weighted myself and with shorts and shoes on at the gym, I'm now at 158. About 20 pounds lost in just over a year. It's not like I was out of shape then and it's not like I'm out of shape now but my family commented on how veiny I look, and I've noticed the same thing. Arms, legs, and even my mid torso now show a lot of veins. I eat all the time though and I'm looking forward for peak week to be over so I can hopefully stop eating so much. I almost feel sick at work since I eat from 9am to 3pm (toast, lunch, weight gainer + any other snack like a banana or granola). I guess it's good for "race weight" but I'm thinking of trying to put on a few more pounds before my race. I can tell that I've burned some muscles, even though I try to race home and make some protein drink and eat an hour afterwards. What do you guys think? Maintain current weight or try to put on like 2-4 pounds over the next 3 weeks for the race? I'm hoping to go to the gym 2x a week after this week and do some strength training, which I sort of neglected this month.

Nope.  I wish I had that problem.

2013-07-06 7:24 AM

User image

I have this problem. I'm a girl so I've learned not to talk about it much because most girls I know are trying to lose weight so they tend to joke when I mention it like I wish I had that problem. But at high training volume I have to watch that I don't lose too much weight. I'm not a supermodel or anything so this is not a backdoor brag but if I'm not careful I cross the line from looking strong, thin and healthy to looking very tired and very skinny.

What helps me maintain is two things first, eating something (a protein bar for example) immediately before I go to bed (I've known others who put a bar next to the bed and eat it in the middle of the night but I tend to sleep through the night), and adding calories to my drinks so I'll drink some juice where I might normally drink water (I make my own juices). So that adds probably 400 extra calories in a day say and that helps. I do work with my coach and my doctor to make sure I'm eating the right things because if you're losing a lot of weight quickly it can be a sign that your thyroid is all revved up. I'm not sure if that happens to guys though it might just be a girl thing :-)

2013-07-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Spokane
I know what you mean... day after Ironman i weighed 136.. talk about some lightweight issues. I am trying to get up to a solid 150 racing weight for next year, but who knows. If i were you i would just maintain weight and then when taper week comes you will probably gain a pound from not being as active.
2013-07-07 7:59 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Whoa that's a really low body weight!  I thought I was getting bad.  I'm 5'10 and 158ish is still a normal weight but I tried so hard to keep it on but when weekend workouts alone take off over 8,000 calories total, there's not too much I can do to try to recoup that.  

Amy, the weight loss for me was not instant but more gradual thing.  My eating habits stayed the same from week 18 up to 27.  I know I have a smaller stomach than other people, so I eat lots of mini meals but I only have so much time to eat.  I remember one day I ate an entire medium pizza for lunch at work and people at work looked at me like I was some sort of glutton.  An hour later, I had my 700 calorie weight gainer and they just shook their heads, lol.  Saturdays are the worst since bike workouts + run always messes up a meal and I try to have a meal when I get home and then also at 10-11ish before going to bed.

2013-07-07 8:07 PM

User image

Spokane
Yeah I am only 1 inch shorter then you and was 20 lbs less. I am up to 144 now, because my diet has gone to hell since ironman
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping the weight on... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Normal weight vs Race weight

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 2385 Posts: 11

2011-11-09 7:52 PM wild_taz666

Keeping warm in cold IM swim

Started by c_cic
Views: 1307 Posts: 11

2009-05-29 7:58 AM titurtle

Can't Keep Up with the Training

Started by nhangen
Views: 2076 Posts: 17

2008-10-08 12:37 PM KSH

Something to keep your mind off of IMWI for a few minutes

Started by atc1135
Views: 722 Posts: 2

2007-08-27 11:24 PM jcjsc00

Keeping track of run laps during IM

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1482 Posts: 17

2007-04-03 12:52 PM johnmck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?