General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Holland 100 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-06 6:09 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: Holland 100
Hey Michiganders!

There is a 100 mile bike ride in Holland, MI the 20th and I was considering doing it. Has anyone here done it before and can give a little more info than the site has? Is it a race? Is food/water handed out on the ride? Can I use my Tri-bike?

I know it isn't really a triathlon, but I've heard a good amount of triathletes use it for a Louisville or MiTi training ride.

Thanks for the info!
-Erik

ps. here is the event organizer's site http://macatawa.cc/holland-hundred/

2013-07-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: iLOVEwaffles

Regular
Subject: RE: Holland 100
I did it 2 years ago. Great ride. It is flat and fast. Good training for the distance/time but don't except any hill training for IMKY.

It is more of a bike tour than a race. There is no "official" start or finish. Just show up, check-in, and ride. I think you have to start by 8AM if you do the full 100 though.

I did it on my tri-bike and rode solo the entire way. You just have to make sure you pop up on your horns if run into a pack or something if you ride your tri bike. I had one of my biggest confidence boosts during this ride when a group of roadies caught up to me and sort of enveloped me in their group. They were riding dangerously (IMO) and I wanted to drop them. So, I pulled out to the side and just hammered it for the next 5 miles leaving them in my dust.

As for food/water, there are multiple rest stops - probably every 20-30 miles or so. I believe one of them even has a big pancake breakfast. I was using it for a training ride though so I just breezed through to refill my bottles and grab a piece of fruit or something at each.

It is a pretty course and the final miles have you right along the lakeshore. I remember it getting pretty cool at this point - probably 10* cooler than the rest of the ride with the breeze off the water and shade from the trees.

Good luck! I'd be there but it is the same day as Tri del Sol and I am already registered for that.
2013-07-08 6:20 AM
in reply to: kevinneumann

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Awesome! I'm not too worried about hill training, just getting through it haha. I'm just doing the MiTi half and haven't really gone more than 75 miles for training this year, but I like cycling and I love pancakes(not as much as waffles though) so I thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks for the info! And good luck at Tri del Sol!

2013-07-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: iLOVEwaffles

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by iLOVEwaffles Awesome! I'm not too worried about hill training, just getting through it haha. I'm just doing the MiTi half and haven't really gone more than 75 miles for training this year, but I like cycling and I love pancakes(not as much as waffles though) so I thought I'd give it a go. Thanks for the info! And good luck at Tri del Sol!

I'm doing this race too and rode the bike course recently....I'll say this, if you don't do much hill training expect some pain on race day... I don't do enough hill training but I do some and I was cooked after riding the course...

2013-07-16 9:09 PM
in reply to: TriMike

Champion
No excuses!
Holland Hundred is an awesome event. You can make it what you want. Lots of people use it as a training ride and many just a nice long ride to socialize with friends but there are always those there that are hammering. The breakfast at the church in Zeeland is awesome and the perfect fill up to get you through the ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Holland 100 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

holland's tulip time race 5/5/2012

Started by GR_10k_runner
Views: 1100 Posts: 7

2012-05-05 12:32 PM GR_10k_runner

Holland Hundred

Started by kdogtoo
Views: 745 Posts: 3

2008-07-20 5:07 PM kdogtoo

Any word on Trixie's 100 miler