Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Pain and gain

Originally posted by rjrankin83
Originally posted by ironbaby So essentially, are you guys saying that pain should never be there? Every long run during training should be effortless even when if it's a distance PR?? If so, I have been doing it all wrong. Higdon's definition of novice might be different than my novice. One of my co-workers did the Charlotte marathon following HH's novice plan but he did track in college (now this guy was in 40s) but even from day 1 he was keeping a pace of under 10min/mile. Not having any athletic background is probably being the issue for me here.
There's a difference in pain and discomfort. You're not getting any kind of gain running through pain. On longer slow runs I can honestly say I'm neither in pain or uncomfortable, but it took 3 years, 2 marathons, a few HM, a HIM, and training for an IM to get to feeling comfortable running distances. On tempo/interval runs I get a little uncomfortable, but that's the point of the run, but never in pain.

^^^.  When I trained for my marathon, there were many many a time/run/day that I was uncomfortable.  I was pushing my body beyond what it had ever done before.  Pain--I would stop.  Now, it took some time for me to be honest with myself about the difference between pain and discomfort.

I will put another shout out for the Barry P. plan though.  Previously, I ran 3-4 times a week and something was always sore/aching/niggling.  Since running 6x/week, mostly slow, sometimes hard, I don't have those bothersome little pains.  Go figure.

2013-07-10 12:23 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
Thanks guys. This kindda helps. I suppose focussing on pain/discomfort threshold is probably not the best idea in long term view.

I just feel like a wuss when I see other people do well with their training using canned novice plans whereas I get my kicked.
2013-07-10 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Keep going. Stay within yourself and things will get better. For running in particular, it's really something how often you *don't* push yourself. The pain tolerance can be helpful on race day for getting the most out of what you have at that time, but so much of training is well off that. I don't think the article really made that distinction, the scope of it seemed more limited. Keep working on figuring how to get in a bunch of miles without having to beat yourself up and you'll get better.

Edited by brigby1 2013-07-10 7:31 AM
2013-07-10 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by ironbaby

So essentially, are you guys saying that pain should never be there? Every long run during training should be effortless even when if it's a distance PR?? If so, I have been doing it all wrong. Higdon's definition of novice might be different than my novice.

One of my co-workers did the Charlotte marathon following HH's novice plan but he did track in college (now this guy was in 40s) but even from day 1 he was keeping a pace of under 10min/mile. Not having any athletic background is probably being the issue for me here.

No, you're not quite correct.

If you feel fresh and energetic on all your workouts, you're not training enough if you really want to improve.

Training with pain due to an injury is a whole different matter. You need to learn to distinguish pain from an injury (like a tendon strain) from typical muscle soreness and fatigue from a hard workout.

When I am racing at my personal-best levels, I'm pretty much running and cycling continuously on tired legs that feel like mud more often than not. Even after lighter rest days, I hammer it back to a semibeatdown state. I only feel 'fresh / effortless' on taper week. Despite that 'feels like mud' fatigue though, my workout times get faster and faster thru the season, so I konw I'm not overtraining.

HTFU and build slow. It's SUPPOSED to be hard.

Also, don't compare to others right away, at least. Plenty of folks out there who have never run a step, actually have great potential, and get ridiculously fast really quickly. Most like me though, require gobs of work to get decent.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-07-10 7:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain and gain Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Butt pain coincide with knee pain?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 1545 Posts: 6

2012-12-18 1:58 AM smiletodayok

Pain in my side, pain in my shins....

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 1341 Posts: 11

2012-01-08 10:08 PM bigpaps

No pain, no gain?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1368 Posts: 18

2009-10-28 6:58 PM tasr

Muscle gain vs. Weight Loss

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1032 Posts: 6

2005-01-07 2:20 PM sty

weight gain

Started by G40
Views: 785 Posts: 4

2004-08-30 5:56 AM G40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Although you cannot change your genetics and your tendency to fidget, you can boost your calorie intake. Here are five tips to help you bulk-up healthfully.

date : December 22, 2011
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : June 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.

date : May 3, 2005
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?