Piranha Sports
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 44s
Overall Rank = 99/148
Age Group = 50--54
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

They started closing up transition earlier than scheduled for the kid's tri, so I barely had time to get organized, actually had to run back in a couple of times to get my gels, drop off my shoes, etc. Had over an hour to wait during the kid's tri, so I was able to go to the bathroom, which I was not able to do before we left St. Michaels. First #2 porta-potty experience before a race, and one I'd prefer never to experience again! But my Pom Peach Banana smoothie just didn't do its job today.
Event warmup:

No warm-up beyond swimming around a little near the start line.
Swim
  • 16m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decided I wanted to try going out harder than I normally do, since I've been swimming 200m in the pool fairly quickly. Knew it would be as fast as the pool because I needed to come up every so often in order to see where I was and stay on track. But I was surrounded by orange caps the whole way out to the turn buoy, which is interesting for me. Got my foot kind of tangled in the buoy rope. Made it across to the next turn buoy easily enough, but from there it went awry. No idea how I got off track - I was still in close proximity to other swimmers - but the buoys were WAAAYYYY the heck over there!! So I'm guessing I turned a 400m swim into at least a 500m swim and maybe longer. Heard later that the current in the river was pushing a lot of us off course, even though I never noticed a current. Disappointing, because I felt like it was a good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job keeping track of the buoys. I normally do this pretty well even though it slows me up, but today it was a problem. Would've considered this an above average swim for me but for the off course issue.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

67 out of 145, so pretty evident lots of beginners here. I just kept it smooth and unhurried. Put on and strapped up the shoes even though running in them was slower.

Nothing. OK with T1
Bike
  • 40m
  • 12 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike ride overall, although the Joule indicated a longer ride and so did the Garmin, but not by much. Kept the effort level very consistent, with average wattage at 151 and NP at 154, so very pleased with that and knew I'd have the ability to run decently. Fortunately, I didn't feel the hamstring/IB issue during the ride.

Maybe push it a little harder, closer to 160, 165, and see what happens on the run. But pleased overall with effort and results.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

102 out of 145 here, so slower than most, although not particularly sure why. Need to improve T2 overall as I tend to lag the field here substantially even though I don't think I'm goofing off. I don't think the issue has anything to do with getting off the bike since I've already got my shoes off. And I jog well enough into transition. So it's got to be someting after that. Is kind of tough to get the shoes on, so maybe need to explore that.

Need to practice some here as I should be able to cut this time down furhter.
Run
  • 22m 26s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Would absolutely love to admit to this time but I don't think it's realistic because the run, according to the Garmin, was only 2.25, not 2.5, resulting in a pace of 9:53 for the run. And I know it felt more like 9:53 than sub-nine minutes. The hamstring/IB issue returned durinig the run and, although it loosened up a lot, it was problematic. Need to get that some rest and do some stretching...or something. There was only one somewhat meager hill on the course and that's where I felt the issue the most, enough that it forced me to walk for a bit once I got to the top. Lack of run training over the last two weeks didn't help either.

Not much, given my condition overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got some liquids. Pretty well spent at the end so I don't think I left much out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Navigation issues on the swim and some hamstring/IB issues on the run forcing me into a slower than preferred pace.

Event comments:

Piranha is an organizational machine, with everything going off without a hitch, as is typical for them. Much better t-shirts this year than in the past, at least based on this one. Decent post-race food too: scrambled eggs and sausage on a tortilla, and Ritz Nutter Butter snacks.

Last updated: 2013-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:02 | 440 yards | 03m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 135/148
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy full
Course: Set up in the Chester River from teh Washington College boatyard. Out 175y, about 100 across, and 175y back with a stair climb out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:00 | 12 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Overall: 68/148
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back lollipop course from Chestertown. Nice course, excellent road quality except for the loop part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:26 | 02.5 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 109/148
Performance: Below average
Course: Run primarily on a walking path in Chestertown into and around an office park and back around the transition area to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-09 10:40 PM

Subject: Dragonfly Heart Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dragonfly Heart Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dragonfly Heart Triathlon

Started by bswilliams1
Views: 907 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 7:28 AM bswilliams1

Dragonfly Heart Triathlon

Started by btlovin
Views: 856 Posts: 1

2012-07-21 10:17 AM btlovin

Dragonfly Triathlon

Started by aplohris
Views: 1735 Posts: 2

2008-06-15 11:46 AM jford2309

Dragonfly Triathlon

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 850 Posts: 2

2007-06-17 5:08 PM Lucy

Dragonfly Triathlon

Started by crusty
Views: 1027 Posts: 1

2006-06-17 10:26 PM crusty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.
date : July 2, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.

date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.