General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Back During Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-14 7:59 PM

Subject: Sore Back During Bike
Hi Folks,

I just recently switched from Sprints to Olys. I've noticed that after 20 minutes or so on the bike, my lower back starts to get really sore. I get some relief when I get up out of the saddle to climb and it goes away entirely as soon as I start running. I don't recall ever having this issue while running Sprints and I never have this issue during my training rides though admittedly I've never done a swim/bike brick.

I was thinking that it was some fatigue held over from the swim. Any thoughts?

thanks!

jason

2013-07-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: jasonstroup

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Sore Back During Bike

Have you been fitted for your bike?  I'm not sure of your experience level on the bike but getting sore after 20 minutes if pretty quick. 

I used to get some soreness in my lower back during my training rides, got a new bike (with a actual real fit) and it went away for the most part.  Still get some soreness on 60+ mile rides, but nothing to gripe about.

2013-07-15 9:27 PM

User image

Pro
You are likely too stretched out on your bike.  Both of my kids had very sore backs, when I initially had them on bikes that were basically too big for them, back when we were trying to see if they even liked riding/triahlons.  Once I bought them bikes that were fit for them all back issues disappeared immediately.
2013-07-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

I was fitted for the bike when I bought it a couple of years ago, but it may be time for an adjustment. I'm sure I've tweaked the position of the aero bars once or twice since then. It's worth a shot anyways. thanks for the advice!
2013-07-23 12:01 PM

User image

New user
I actually make a point of standing up a few times throughout the ride, and include some minor stretches. I mentioned this to the massage therapist after my last race, and he said that it was important to do this. The fact is you are putting a lot of pressure on your lower back when you ride (at least this has been my experience).
2013-07-28 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Yep, time to go in for another fit! 2 years is a lot of time, I usually suggest one every 6 months. Just because you didn't tweek anything on the bike in 2 years, doesn't mean you physically didn't change over the last 2 years.

Also, with the longer riding, make sure you spend extra time stretching your hip flexors. They shorten when your on the bike, and if your like most people you spend tons of time sitting - at work, at home, in the car, etc... so all that leads to tight hip flexors which can cause back pain.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Back During Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races)

Started by Kdea
Views: 1608 Posts: 4

2011-07-14 4:51 PM Kdea

Sore back/neck...should I not run?

Started by miami9296
Views: 1718 Posts: 2

2008-11-06 5:35 PM nickster

back is sore

Started by browner6
Views: 880 Posts: 8

2006-07-31 8:09 AM rice

Lower back soreness during bike

Started by nel34
Views: 1379 Posts: 8

2005-07-18 1:48 PM David14

Sore Back

Started by hikergerb
Views: 853 Posts: 3

2005-07-09 9:42 PM BellinghamSpence
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?