General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Quality Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-16 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor Quality
I have paid little attention to HR training, but I wish to. (Thus thead is not meant to discuss that in itself.)

I have used two different straps, each that came with a Garmin, ne from 305 one from 310xt. I think I may still be too fat to get a decent reading. When I am pedaling uphill and the HR reads 60, I know it is off. Honestly, I think my garmin could be off somehow too, as my cadence/speed sensor was damaged, so I out n a new ne, and it is definitely not accurate.

But in the case that there is a solid HRM out there that will get accurate readings through a large wall of man, any suggestions for me? Is the Usual incuded-with-garmin always a cheap junky one? Would any stand-alone unit automatically be better?

2013-07-16 4:57 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor Quality

I've always used pretty basic Timex HRM's.

Just some suggestions from another thick-chested guy:

• Make sure the strap is tight.
  • Use some HRM gel on the sensor (as opposed to water or spit).
  • Try moving the sensor a little off center rather than directly over your sternum.

Mark

2013-07-16 5:42 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I'm a waif of a dude, so I can't comment on your specific need. But I've had the same experience that apparently many others have had with the Garmin HRM. My 910xt came with their schmancy 'soft strap' HRM. It worked ok for a while, but then started getting wonky on me, giving crazy high readings when I was just walking around, etc. I followed advice to get the older/cheaper 'hard strap' HRM from Garmin, and it has worked out just great since then. And I don't find it uncomfortable at all.
2013-07-16 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
OK as it turns out, I just confirmed that my watch is indeed, not receiving ANT+ data properly. I turned off my GPS and took a 13 mile ride. Just using my cadence sensor, a brand new one, my distance was less than 5 miles. Something is not right. I think I need to deal with this issue first. Then, I will probably et a new HRM that is both bluetooth enabled and ANT+ for another application.
2013-07-16 7:01 PM

User image

I've liked both the Garmin heart rate monitors I've used. They sometimes give wonky or spikey data at the beginning of a run, or too low if the strap slips. But if it is in place properly and sufficiently moistened and making good contact, the readings are very consistent. I use to have Polar HRMs and found them not as good.

2013-07-17 6:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

OK as it turns out, I just confirmed that my watch is indeed, not receiving ANT+ data properly. I turned off my GPS and took a 13 mile ride. Just using my cadence sensor, a brand new one, my distance was less than 5 miles. Something is not right. I think I need to deal with this issue first. Then, I will probably et a new HRM that is both bluetooth enabled and ANT+ for another application.

Try to contact Garmin, their customer service is excellent. Im sure they will be able to help you with this.

Edited by davidfedez 2013-07-17 6:49 AM

2013-07-17 8:37 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
My Timex HRM works well and I have had no issues with it. I bought the watch and HRM used from a friend and its about a year or two old and still working. I would also suggest moving it around and making sure the strap is tight. Like others have said, check the watch and make sure you synced the HRM to the watch and if that doesnt work, contact Garming and see what they say.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Quality Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Badwater

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 490 Posts: 1

2013-07-16 4:26 PM TheClaaaw

Polar bike monitor and heart rate monitor

Started by turtleturtle
Views: 1160 Posts: 2

2008-05-22 6:18 AM gleser

heart rate monitor problems

Started by trilori
Views: 990 Posts: 6

2004-03-02 10:08 AM montyb

Heart Rate Monitors

Started by Rio
Views: 1650 Posts: 19

2003-11-26 7:49 AM cameronw

Heart rate monitor

Started by hytenms
Views: 1361 Posts: 5

2003-08-26 3:29 AM hytenms
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2011
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
This panel discussion will cover many questions on heart rate monitors, powermeters and testing.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
I started the process with clippers on my chest. Halfway through the process I realized that this shaving plan was probably not the brightest idea I have ever had in my life.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.