General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Invermere, British Columbia
Canada
Heart of the Rockies Triathlon
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 52s
Overall Rank = 33/77
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Had a wreck with my bike Tuesday and was debating all week as to whether I was going to race or not as I had a bad case of road rash that I was still nursing! Took some ibuprofen and sucked it up and went! Set up transition area and went to get my timing braclet. Used the washroom and changed into my tri suit and proceeded to put on my wet suit. Headed to the water and took a quick splash to get used to the temperature.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 18m 40s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was quite calm, fairly clear and surprisingly warm. Some competitors swam without wet suits. Compared to my first open water swim last year this years was 100% better allthough I was still a little anxious. Sighted fairly well and stroke was good. Got boxed in after the first turn and took a bit of doing to get out of the trap. Was a little dissapointed with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Based on my conditioning I could have gone a little harder for sure but comparing this with my first OWS this was a marked improvement!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Forgot to turn my GPS watch on prior to the race and wanted it on for pacing so I lost a litlle time messing with it which in turn threw me off my game plan. All in all only lost a few seconds but you can never gain those seconds back either! Other than that it went fairly smooth. Transitions were not kept as a separate time but included in race time.

Need to remember to set up GPS watch ahead of the race.
Bike
  • 49m 20s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.09 km/hr
Comments:

Had some troubles shifting and remembering which gear I was actually in. I was trying out a new saddle and it moved tilting upwards. I stopped at the turn around and had to adjust it by forcing it back which took a fair bit of effort. Was a little surprised at how sluggish I felt but when I see how I faired in the overall scheme of things maybe it wasn't to bad! Did good on the down hills and definitely made up some time on my competitors. Transitions were not kept as a separate time but included in race time.

Try and pay more attention to which gear I am running in
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't have the proper shoes to slip in and out of and I am not fancy jumping off the bike. Transitions were not kept as a separate time but included in race time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km
Comments:

Run wasn't to bad but the steep hills sucked the life out of me as it was very tough going. Brutal on the legs as the up portion was hard on the quads and the down tough on the calves. Transitions were not kept as a separate time but included in race time.

If I am to do more of these mountianous races I will need to do more hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked and stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike crash the Tuesday prior to the race!

Event comments:

The mass start of both the Olympic and Sprint distances in my opinion is very unnecessary as the swim wasfar to crowded and it caused to much interference. The road condition on the bike portion was really poor. For me the race course was simply to hilly. Hilly is okay but these hills were very steep and portions of the hills were very long and stretched out to far. You were either going up or down and very little of the course was flat like less than 1km was flat!

Last updated: 2013-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:40 | 750 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 40/77
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back on a slight triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:49:20 | 20 kms | 24.09 km/hr
Overall: 24/77
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly course! An out and back course weaving through town so lots of turns. The road on the latter part of the course was very rough with two texas gates!!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:53 | 05 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Overall: 42/77
Course: Run through town. Again VERY hilly!! At one point you had to run a steep down hill on this very narrow sandy "goat trail"! It wasn't that long but was fairly dangerous.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2013-07-17 10:50 AM

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-07-19 4:19 AM
in reply to: #4806752

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course
Originally posted by hwkirby

excellent work Howard. The ride sounded challenging, with all the hills. Would kill for your run leg though, you smashed it, hills and all.
Great effort, particularly after your crash.
cheers
Felicity
2013-07-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4806752

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course

Great RR and terrific race!  Excellent job coming back from a crash, too - can't imagine how that must get in your head so close to a race...

Sounds like you had a great day - congrats!

Matt 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Rockies Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by thor67
Views: 1153 Posts: 1

2012-07-17 8:26 AM thor67

Started by bilkovet
Views: 987 Posts: 1

2011-07-19 9:27 AM bilkovet

Started by thor67
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2011-07-18 7:22 AM thor67

Started by TrevorC
Views: 2347 Posts: 10

2010-01-11 1:25 PM trionabudget

Heart Center of the Rockies

Started by aedickerson
Views: 604 Posts: 1

2007-03-21 3:17 AM aedickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.