United States
Vineman, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 53s
Overall Rank = 750/2564
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 95/208
Pre-race routine:

I had been sick with a chest cold the entire week leading up to the race. I was taking a decent amount of dayquil/nyquil/mucinex to try and clear it up. Unfortunately I didn't end up sleeping that well the night before. I decided not to take anything the morning before because I didn't know what the sudafed would do to my performance. I ate two pieces of peanut butter toast and drank about 20 oz of fluids.
Event warmup:

Warmup consisted of riding my bike ~2 miles to T1 to get all set up. After I got T1 all set up I did some dynamic stretching as well as some light moving around just to try and keep warm. It was probably in the high 50s to low 60s in the morning, so I was kind of cold before putting my wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 37m 13s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was an out and back in the Russian river. Started out going upstream, but the current was almost non-existent so I didn't notice it one way or the other. Swim felt pretty good. There was a fair bit of contact in the first couple hundred meters but after that I found pretty clean water to swim in. Once we started coming up on other groups I started slowing down since I had to navigate around people who were swimming slow or walking. There were a fair number of people walking so I would come up on them pretty quick and sometimes have to slow way down.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I would have done differently.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

At the end of the swim I went to stand up and both hamstrings and both calves completely cramped up. It took me a little bit to get them to the point where I could stand on them. I think it is mostly due to the fact that I hardly do any kicking with the wetsuit on. I should probably change that. Getting the wetsuit off also led to a bit of cramping in my calves so that took a bit of time to work out as well.

Not really sure what I was doing for the whole time, aside from the wetsuit getting stuck for a few seconds everything else went pretty quickly. The run from the water was probably around 300-400m and my legs were cramping, so I may have been running slower than I thought.
Bike
  • 2h 41m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was primarily rolling hills with a couple of decent climbs. Overall I felt ok, but I may have pushed the bike a little too much. Obviously, being in Houston, precludes my from hill work without driving half a day to find hills. I noticed that I had decent power spikes when going uphills. My tempo rides had been around 230W. It is easier in Houston to maintain a pretty stable 230W, so when I got to the hills I found it harder to hold myself back. Even though my average power through the ride was only 205W, I feel that my peaks may have put me over the top in terms of fatigue. On the one big hill (Chalk Hill) of the course I did a good job of keeping my effort in check and my HR only climbed to about 145, where it is usually around 130-135 for a tempo pace. My average HR for the course was 148, which I don't know if that was due to pushing too hard on the course overall or if it had something to do with my cold.

There were a massive amount of people that should have been getting position/blocking calls. I came up on people multiple times that took well over a minute to make a pass. Eventually I ended up just passing people who were passing other people as long as I didn't have to cross the center line while doing it. There were multiple times that I had to yell "on your left" 3-4 times just to get someone to move off the center or left side of the lane (some even while they weren't passing). It made it a little bit annoying to be in the second to last wave while still being a pretty strong rider. Although, it is nice to go through a leg and be passing people constantly.

I need to work on holding back on hills and just be ok with the fact that I am going to slow down. A lot of the rollers on this course I would just increase the power to maintain close to the same speed, this probably hurt me later on.
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

There was a huge backup of people coming into T2 and the chute was pretty narrow so I wasn't able to do my normal dismount. Plus, the day before, we walked the transition and the pavement was pretty hot so I was kind of hesitant to dismount and run barefoot across it after reading reports from IMTX. That said, I probably would have done it if there was nobody in my way and suffered/dealt with the consequences after the fact.

After dismounting there was a lot of congestion coming into the transition area and no real way to get around them. People were trying "on your left" to the people walking, but nobody would really move. I have a feeling it was a reasonably slow transition for everyone except for the front waves.

Nothing, it was a long day so I had no intention of getting all worked up about people walking slowly through transition.
Run
  • 2h 13m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know where things went wrong, but they definitely went wrong. The first 6.5 miles were at my normal pace (8:20-8:30). I brought one gu with me to take midway on the run, the problem was that once I hit the midway point (about halfway through La Crema) I started having some serious GI issues. I had only walked the two big hills at this point. Then I had to start walking more. If I would walk more than 0.5-0.75mi I felt like I was going to shit myself. I stopped in the port-a-potty outside of the winery and got rid of some of it, but it never really got that much better. So my last 6.6mi was at a 12:00/mi pace which was kind of disappointing. I tried to run as much as possible through that last half of the run, but it wasn't too easy.

Ultimately I was hoping for 8:30/mi pace for the whole run, which from my training should have been doable. If I had been able to pull that off I would have been below the 5:30h mark that was my stretch goal.

Ultimately, it is what it is and I can't really do anything about it and am ok with how everything turned out.

I would not feel like hell during the last half of the run. The nutrition I took during the race was the exact same as I have done in all of the bricks I did in training, so I am not sure what caused the GI issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down at the end for 10 minutes or so being diappointed and not talking to anyone. After I ran through it in my head I started to realize that there was no way I could have foreseen what happened, and I managed it as best I could. Then I did some light stretching and got something small to eat (chicken breast, canteloupe, strawberries, diet soda).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Almost shitting myself.

Event comments:

The volunteers at the run aid stations were amazing. I carried one of my bike bottles with me because I am terrible at drinking out of cups. Every time it needed to be refilled I would have the lid off on the way up to aid station and the volunteers would start pouring multiple cups of water into it before I even had to ask.

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:13 | 1900 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 93/208
Overall: 833/2564
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full Sleeve
Course: River
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:41:56 | 56 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/208
Overall: 419/2564
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills w/ a couple big ones.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:42 | 13.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 95/208
Overall: 750/2564
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-17 11:35 AM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Vineman

2013-07-17 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4806808

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Vineman

Too bad that GI issue came up, looked like you were right on track for your plan until then.  I'm sure the cold you had been dealing with didn't help at all and may have contributed to the issue. 

2013-07-17 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
I have had a similar outcome at Big Kahuna. First half of the run went relatively fine, the 2nd half felt like my stomach was in a nightmare. I'm not quite sure what caused it either. I didn't know if it was lack of training in the heat (doesn't seem to be your problem), lack of nutrition, or overall training.

Some things I did differently for Vineman this past week was ate and drank ALOT more on the bike than I did for Big Kahuna. And I had more longer runs in training than I did for the Big Kahuna.

My time was slower than yours, I'm not that fast on the bike But the run felt much much better than previously and I kept a pleasant demeanor throughout the whole thing.

I was also in the 2nd to last wave and agree about your swim experience. I also found that I got a lot of dirt in my mouth during the turnaround from the dirt being kicked up from the walkers and people scraping their hands along the bottom (how could you not scrap your hands though?)

Good race report and remember there is always next time to kill the 2nd half of the run
2013-07-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: jaegee

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
great rr - and I totally agree with more position/blocking calls on the bike!
2013-07-17 3:52 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Terrific RR and great attitude through the event.  You're spot on that you had issues and dealt with them - not everyone can say that last bit!

As for the blocking and such, being in the later waves can be a pain in the butt if you're even MOP (cuz you WILL come up on the backs of several waves - if you're old enough).  It's great to have all those folks to pass (both psychologically and from a legal sling-shot standpoint on the bike), but I'm sure my VI goes way up on the bike getting around folks.  I'm no speed demon, but it can get dicey with some folks passing any way they can (saw people passing on the right side the last two races I was in - ugh). 

That said, everyone has the right to race - I just wish everyone would race to the right... Tongue out

Congrats!

Matt

2013-07-17 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So what's your redemption race going to be?

I was hoping your cold was going to be a taper-week-fake-out-cold, but no such luck.  Will be curious to see what you can do when you get to the start line healthy.  Regardless, I think you did great, but I might be a tiny bit biased

2013-07-18 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Bummer on the GI issues during the run, but still a very solid time and a nice looking race.  Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Vineman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Vineman

Started by ehayashi
Views: 1248 Posts: 2

2013-07-22 12:01 PM EV3110

Ironman 70.3 Vineman

Started by velcromom
Views: 1748 Posts: 6

2013-07-16 11:12 AM SSMinnow

Ironman 70.3 Vineman

Started by TTom
Views: 1775 Posts: 5

2013-07-17 12:36 PM ligersandtions

Ironman 70.3 Vineman

Started by sminshew
Views: 2058 Posts: 4

2013-07-16 4:53 PM clydecat

Vineman Ironman 70.3

Started by Skytigger
Views: 1949 Posts: 1

2006-08-01 2:07 PM Skytigger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.