General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation vs. being gentle with yourself Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-21 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Motivation vs. being gentle with yourself
I use to blindly follow my training. I had never skipped a training session. It did not matter if I did not sleep much, if I had cold etc.;only injuries would stop me from training.
I loved all mantras based and being or becoming tough. I always proud myself on being very disciplined and persistent, no matter what.

However they are times when one needs to be more gentle with him/herself. Unfortunately, I do have belief that if you I'm gentle with myself I cannot be motivated enough or not all I can be?

At the moment when I cannot really to my potential, so I do not know to motivate myself.

How do you motivate yourself at time when you cannot train/do things the way you would like them to do. How do you stay satisfied /happy with yourself?

2013-07-21 9:44 AM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Motivation vs. being gentle with yourself
It's tough to give yourself a break sometimes. Today was my first DNS due to vomiting all night after eating some week old salmon that didn't smell THAT bad. Sometimes the motivator voice can't tell the difference from the whiney/lazy voice and the reasonable/safety voice.

Yes, I've several voices in my head
2013-07-21 10:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-21 10:48 AM

Just be objective. Sit back, take the emotions out of it, and make a dead-honest assessment of what you can realistically accomplish in the next season given your life constraints. Shoot high, but be realistic.

Happened to me when we had a new baby, who pretty much barely slept for 7 months. I consider myself extremely motivated for training (4AM workouts are routine for me if that's the only available time) but with pretty much zero nights of more than 3 hours of contiguous sleep for months, I quickly realized that I'd have to readjust my expectations, and I switched my "A" race from a half-ironman to a measly local 5k.

I still trained as hard as I could, but it was pretty limited during that time. And yes, it's a bit disappointing when you can't PR the first time, but it gets exciting again the next time around when you can try and beat that time on your next one.
2013-07-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Expert

Training goals help with that.. and a training plan.. which should include through out the year times that are high volume.. and lower volume. I try to stick with the plan. That way I don't have to think about anything.

My biggest challenge is the voice in my head.. the less I have to talk to it.. the better. 

2013-07-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation vs. being gentle with yourself Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim vid... be gentle Pages: 1 2

Started by jeetkevdo
Views: 1978 Posts: 28

2013-02-02 8:46 PM jeetkevdo

Swim workout critique, pacing (beginner, be gentle!)

Started by bigmike3541
Views: 1735 Posts: 15

2013-02-01 3:54 PM AdventureBear

n00b questions, please be gentle Pages: 1 2

Started by pir8matt
Views: 2484 Posts: 39

2010-10-23 3:58 PM Socks

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1836 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin

Need motivation for early am workouts

Started by nell1217
Views: 1366 Posts: 14

2005-06-28 5:12 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.