General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-21 3:48 PM

Subject: Knee pain
Training for Louisville in August. During the heaviest part of the training I develop some brutal knee pain. Dr. Says its tendinitis and bursitis and I need to rest it. Race is in like six weeks, I've taken off one solid week of everything and another week with just the swimming. Knee still hurts like heck. Feeling very concerned about the race. I've invested so much time, energy, and money to do this. Has anyone had something similar and finished the race?

2013-07-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: Rfrailey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Knee pain
I feel your pain. Literally. I had similar knee issues before my first half iron (and my A race) last year. I raced, and my knee gave out on mile 7 of the run, so I had to walk the final 5.5 miles. It was depressing, but I finished. I would suggest (1) ice the knee; (2) use the elliptical for training; (3) go to physical therapy asap and do the strength exercises; (4) consider doing a very conservative run/walk for your IM. I eventually got to where I could run the entire run of an HIM this summer - and honestly it wasn't that much faster than the HIM where my knee gave out. But the key is to be able to manage the pain as best you can, and a run/walk strategy may help you do that.
2013-07-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: dossheepos

User image

I tend to develop knee pains after a while and icing mine seems to do the trick. Ice them for 5-10 minutes for each knee after you're done working out. To the point to where they are numb. Don't shower for 10-15 minutes or so afterwards until it's warmed back up. Ice them, even if they don't hurt, after a work out. I get a towel, put a lot of ice in it, and then get the towel wet. This will help transfer the cold to your knee instead of just applying a dry towel with ice in it.

Also, don't sleep with your knees bent and don't cross your legs while sitting (putting leg on top of a knee). I noticed that these things put pressure on my knees. Not painful if I do but I can tell it doesn't feel 100% if I do either of these.
2013-07-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: Rfrailey

User image

Originally posted by Rfrailey

Training for Louisville in August. During the heaviest part of the training I develop some brutal knee pain. Dr. Says its tendinitis and bursitis and I need to rest it. Race is in like six weeks, I've taken off one solid week of everything and another week with just the swimming. Knee still hurts like heck. Feeling very concerned about the race. I've invested so much time, energy, and money to do this. Has anyone had something similar and finished the race?

have you tried massage therapy, and/or chiropractic? I have a funky knee and my chiropractor has done a world a good, compared to the docs that just said rest/gave me NASID's...might be something to look into
2013-07-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

If you have not, go see a sports trained orthopedist.  Most primary care docs don't have a good handle on sports injuries and the knee jerk answer is rest.  You could benefit from some PT and meds and maybe a brace.  Also embrace aquajogging I know its boring but its running

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Left Knee pain

Started by swofford11
Views: 3058 Posts: 5

2011-04-19 6:21 PM swofford11

Sharp Burning Knee Pain Cycling

Started by csharp1171
Views: 2356 Posts: 3

2010-10-27 10:56 AM csharp1171

Knee pains only on long runs - advice?

Started by TXNick
Views: 1509 Posts: 5

2010-09-27 11:11 AM TXNick

knee pain

Started by ryceelliott
Views: 1099 Posts: 4

2010-07-27 8:56 AM DanielG

Knee Pain Help

Started by Jeter2
Views: 579 Posts: 2

2009-06-29 8:50 AM LaurenSU02
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have several years of pain behind both kneecaps that I had diagnosed as chondromalacia, or patella femoral syndrome. Rest has helped, but I'm wondering if surgery offers a more full recovery.

date : July 28, 2011
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.

date : May 1, 2006
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.