United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49F
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had some oatmeal. Got my stuff together for the warm-up ride to the race. Donned my black and purple socks, jersey, gloves and helmet. (need to find purple shades)
Event warmup:

Rode the 11.3 miles to the race location. Once at the site I got registered, pinned my number on my back and headed to the line.
Bike
  • 34m 47s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This is much more low key than the GJWHF race in the same location but still well organized. I lined up about 6 people back from the start so I could get going before I lost the benefit of my warm up. When it was my turn I got the 30 second mark. At the 15 second mark I got clipped in and queued up and ready to go. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and I was off. This time I got out of the saddle to get up to speed and was off. I felt good getting going and pushed from the start. I was passed by a few men before the top of the first hill. They were all decked out with aero helmets and disk wheels so I rather enjoyed watching them pass.

Still I kept pushing. By the turnaround I'd been passed by several guys (most all with disk wheels and aero helmets) and one girl in a ASU team kit (cool). Toward the turnaround I found my carrot. A woman going the other way from the turnaround. I was determined to catch her by the top of the big hill.

Still I kept pushing. And I slowly reeled her in and I passed her about 50 meters before the top. As I crested the big hill I continued to push. I love the feeling of me against the clock.

Down the hill and across the line I continued to push. This finish line was better marked than the last time, or maybe I was just ready for it. And as quick as that it was done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Continue to work on my bike fitness. I could not have averaged over 18 mph on this course a year ago, shoot I couldn't have averaged 15 a year ago!
Post race
Warm down:

Rode over to where I'd left my bag. Talked TdF for a bit then went to check my time. A man told me that regardless of my result I "looked fast". Ha!

When I'd puttered enough I mounted my bike and rode to Sbux for a post race beverage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness, keep working on it.

Event comments:

This race is good for what it is, a low key TT race. No fanfare, no party, and that's ok. It's just you and the clock. The did have the course well marked and lots of water and port-a-johns.

Last updated: 2013-07-19 12:00 AM
Biking
00:34:47 | 10.6 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on the frontage road, over one big hill and a couple small ones
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Algodones Time Trial Series #1

2013-07-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4810622

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Algodones Time Trial Series #1
Sounds like a lot of fun, TJ!!  Love the comment about looking fast regardless of the time.   What a nice feeling to see your own progression, no?  And yes, Fi wants you to have purple sunglasses to better match her.
2013-07-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ha. Once I find some purple shades I get a pic with me n Fi in all our purple glory.

At what point in my life did looking fast become a compliment Surprised

2013-07-23 11:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Great job. I love that you are doing this TTs. And you rode to the event. Even better. I love purple.
2013-07-24 6:22 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Very cool! So when is the next on one? Do you live close enough that you can train in the tt course? You are getting me interested in trying one of these, and I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for that;)
2013-07-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by switch Very cool! So when is the next on one? Do you live close enough that you can train in the tt course? You are getting me interested in trying one of these, and I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for that

The turnaround spot on the course is probably 6 miles from my front door. When I ride to the start it is an 11 mile ride. Def do-able for training. I did the course once before the first TT and I've done two TT on basically the same course. the next one is August 11 so I probably won't run it again before then and the third is August 24, the same weekend as the Pro Challenge in Denver and my sprint tri Yell

I think you would enjoy a TT if you have one that is convenient to where you are.

2013-07-24 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by switch Very cool! So when is the next on one? Do you live close enough that you can train in the tt course? You are getting me interested in trying one of these, and I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for that;)

The turnaround spot on the course is probably 6 miles from my front door. When I ride to the start it is an 11 mile ride. Def do-able for training. I did the course once before the first TT and I've done two TT on basically the same course. the next one is August 11 so I probably won't run it again before then and the third is August 24, the same weekend as the Pro Challenge in Denver and my sprint tri Yell

I think you would enjoy a TT if you have one that is convenient to where you are.

HAHA--and I really, really want you to go to the Pro Challenge;)

They actually have two separate TT series that run all summer in my area, but I've been a little intimidated.  We have some freaky strong female cyclists in my area, and I just didn't want to go out and embarrass myself, but I'm starting to feel more confident on the bike now.   OK, I'm in.  I'm gonna look it up and do the next one.  Thanks :)

2013-07-24 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I love your race reports for these! 

There is no sound like that of a disc wheel going past (I know this from LOTS of experience) and every time it makes me smile - I don't know why as it means I'm getting passed, but I still love the noise. 

Great job out there, and what a fabulous way to be able to SEE all of your improvement.  Congrats! 

2013-07-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by switch Very cool! So when is the next on one? Do you live close enough that you can train in the tt course? You are getting me interested in trying one of these, and I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for that

HAHA--and I really, really want you to go to the Pro Challenge

They actually have two separate TT series that run all summer in my area, but I've been a little intimidated.  We have some freaky strong female cyclists in my area, and I just didn't want to go out and embarrass myself, but I'm starting to feel more confident on the bike now.   OK, I'm in.  I'm gonna look it up and do the next one.  Thanks

Yay! I love sharing my addictions!

DH and I were discussing last night whether to do Denver or stay. I think we'll decide when we know who's there. I told him I would love to see those guys climb Big Thompson Canyon!

2013-07-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I love your race reports for these! 

There is no sound like that of a disc wheel going past (I know this from LOTS of experience) and every time it makes me smile - I don't know why as it means I'm getting passed, but I still love the noise. 

Great job out there, and what a fabulous way to be able to SEE all of your improvement.  Congrats! 

I mentioned this to DS2 when he was here. He looked at me puzzled because he will never enjoy being passed for any reason. Ha!

2013-07-25 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TJ, awesome improvement from a year ago! Keep pushing and you won't hear the wooosh as you are getting passed. Soon it will be you doing the wooosh passing.

2013-07-29 12:55 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job!  I love low-key races like this.  Great job on finding motivation - both in catching up to the woman and in the men passing you. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Algodones Time Trial Series #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #5

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1031 Posts: 6

2005-05-13 11:19 PM scuba-punk

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #4

Started by luv2ride
Views: 999 Posts: 6

2005-05-05 6:46 PM Alpine87

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #3

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1056 Posts: 4

2005-05-02 2:54 PM scuba-punk

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #2

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1429 Posts: 8

2005-04-23 12:55 PM nikki

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1409 Posts: 8

2005-04-15 7:28 AM gunit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.