General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore right calf or left ankle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-23 5:58 AM

Subject: Sore right calf or left ankle
I completed my first sprint tri earlier this year. I'm staying conditioned so I can do others in the future. I typically run 2 to 4 miles 5-6 times a week depending on how my legs feel and mix in some weight training in there also. My left ankle or my right calf seem to constantly bother me. Will the elliptical give me as good of a cardio workout? Should I be running less per week? When I began training for a sprint I was 225lbs and I'm now 208lbs. I want to keep seeing forward progress but don't want to blow my joints out while doing so. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2013-07-23 6:27 AM
in reply to: Henry28

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Sore right calf or left ankle
You may have injured your left ankle, so you probably should relax on the running until that pain subsides.
If it persists, I would suggest having someone look at it... could be due to a bit too much too soon type of thing.

You are running a lot, 6 days a week is too much IMO. Some people can handle 6 days/week running but since you are having issues, I'd cut it down to more like 3 or 4 days max, and add in more cycling & swimming.

Running takes a serious toll on your system, and you have to build it up gradually...I'm not saying you over did it, but maybe at some point you did and it's damaged. You could have alignment problems, such as weak arches..depending on what shoes / inserts, your feet can be aggravated by this every time you run. Also how your foot is striking can be an issue too.

2013-07-24 5:25 AM
in reply to: metafizx

Subject: RE: Sore right calf or left ankle
I'm thinking a new pair of running shoes may help also. Come to think of it, the actual shoe feels comfortable and I don't notice any lack of arch support in them. But the soles are worn pretty well so I'm guessing there may be lack of support I just don't notice.

Are there any specific strength training exercises anyone would recommend?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore right calf or left ankle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore ankles when running

Started by Findlay
Views: 4674 Posts: 8

2012-04-04 7:14 AM JohnP_NY

Right calf is tight and sore

Started by trishie
Views: 4487 Posts: 13

2012-02-16 6:46 PM bencoy

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

sore calves after 2 week layoff from running

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1448 Posts: 4

2009-04-13 8:03 PM jcdenton2000

Poor pedaling = sore calves?

Started by tri_bob
Views: 1357 Posts: 6

2008-05-27 1:38 PM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : June 28, 2011
After two stress fractures, does new pain mean bad news?
date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.

date : September 25, 2009
I have been having problems with sore ankles and feet after doing my swim workouts and this has carried over to my run as well. What can I do besides using ice on my ankles?
date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.