General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Side of Training and Racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-23 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Mental Side of Training and Racing
Did a sprint tri this past weekend in the heat and humidity and was completely spent over the last mile of the run. We've all been there whether training or racing. What does everyone use to get them through when their mind is telling them enough is enough? I have to admit, my mind won the battle last weekend and it was disappointing.

2013-07-23 9:29 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Subject: RE: Mental Side of Training and Racing
I've had it happen a couple times this year and yes, it makes you question your toughness. This heat and humidity can suck the joy out of racing and makes me just despise the run. In my first international distance race two weeks ago (and my last race before AG Nationals) I resorted to walking during the run and felt like an utter failure. When other runners and spectators tried to buoy me up with kind words it actually made me angrier because I knew that I didn't deserve them nor should I be in the position I was. I finished the race shaking my head and swearing off the distance.

By day 2 afterward I was happy I did it for the experience and will probably try the distance next year with proper training. As for the heat I have ramped up my training (pushing speedwork to simulate the feeling) and proving to myself that I can do it.

I find that out of every race there is a positive and at least something new to work on for the next one. That said, this summer the weather SUCKS in New Jersey (and the east coast for that matter).

Jump back in the game!

Patti in NJ
2013-07-23 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by hessma

Did a sprint tri this past weekend in the heat and humidity and was completely spent over the last mile of the run. We've all been there whether training or racing. What does everyone use to get them through when their mind is telling them enough is enough? I have to admit, my mind won the battle last weekend and it was disappointing.
At Ironman 70.3 Raleigh, I had a fun (but super slow) swim, I had a better than expected bike, and then I fell apart on the run, wilting in the heat. Once I finally made the turn back towards home (about mile 9), all I could think about was a post-race beer. That brought me to the finish. When my body's saying stop, and my mind joins the chorus, I focus on getting it done so I can either see my family if they're at the finish, or see a cold one if the family's not there.
2013-07-23 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by hessma Did a sprint tri this past weekend in the heat and humidity and was completely spent over the last mile of the run. We've all been there whether training or racing. What does everyone use to get them through when their mind is telling them enough is enough? I have to admit, my mind won the battle last weekend and it was disappointing.

I look at it from a different perspective: it's my body that's telling me to stop and it's my mind that has to overcome that urge and keep me pushing to the finish.  It's easier said than done and is something that you need to work on in your training.  It's getting used to being uncomfortable physcially and learning how to deal with it psychologically.

Mark     

2013-07-23 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by hessma

Having done sprints, Oly's, HIM's and IM's.... when I do a sprint I just focus on how short the distances are and tell myself to SUCK IT UP. On sprint distances, my goal on the bike is to be breathing hard and my quads should be burning... with the run I should barely be breathing. If I'm breathing heavy and hard, then I'm doing it right. I better be hurting too. If I'm not hurting, then I'm slacking off. I focus on making it hurt.

I just saying to myself, "It is ONLY 3.1 miles... suck it up!"

2013-07-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Burbs
I know this may sound weird, but I tell myself "IT'S OKAY TO HURT RIGHT NOW."

2013-07-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I try to break it down into more manageable segments--all the way down to one stroke, crank, step at a time if needed.  What I have learned is that rarely is the mental part permanent, if you can focus on something else, it often passes. 

Take time to assess your form, your HR, and do a body scan from head to toe focusing on each part.  Take away tension/stress/energy from the things that don't need it, and try to give that energy to the things that do. 

Try tightening your core just a bit, and see if it improves things--it almost always does for me.

I have done quite a bit of hypnosis work--some for sport, and some for childbirth.  I have found it to be a very helpful, powerful tool.

2013-07-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Having done sprints, Oly's, HIM's and IM's.... when I do a sprint I just focus on how short the distances are and tell myself to SUCK IT UP. On sprint distances, my goal on the bike is to be breathing hard and my quads should be burning... with the run I should barely be breathing. If I'm breathing heavy and hard, then I'm doing it right. I better be hurting too. If I'm not hurting, then I'm slacking off. I focus on making it hurt.

I just saying to myself, "It is ONLY 3.1 miles... suck it up!"

Wow. I am not pushing myself hard enough at the sprint distance if you can do this and pull off the sprint. By "barely be breathing," I assume you mean you are breathing hard but feel you feel like you aren't getting enough oxygen in. Correct? I have a race this weekend and wonder if I shouldn't try to push myself as hard as you do. I certainly don't ever hurt when doing a race, just sucking wind.

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-07-23 10:50 AM
2013-07-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jdl2012 2013-07-23 10:58 AM
2013-07-23 11:05 AM

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

This happened to me on Sunday.  I had had a strong performance in a tri on Saturday and my plan called for a 90 minute easy run the day after.  I chose to do this run at about 4:00 PM (in Iowa that's like saying when the oven temperature was turned all the way up).  About 40 minutes into it, I was not happy, and I was a long ways from home.  I just turned around and focused on keeping my pace under control and telling myself, "get to the next tree, corner, car, stop sign, etc".  If I felt good when I got to that point then I focused on the next point.

It was a suck fest that took 40 minutes out and 70 minutes back.  Oh, and I ran out of water on my fuel belt.  Stubborness kept me from calling the wife and I ended up taking yesterday off. 

Not a good physical training day but I maybe I learned somethings about my mental strength. 

We all can learn from days like this.

2013-07-23 11:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
There's a NON mental component to it as well, which is to make sure you're acclimated to running in heat and humidity. I find it takes about 5 or 6 days of consecutive running outside, starting with about 2 miles and getting up to about 8, for the body to adjust to the heat. Once I get to that point, it just becomes about replacing fluids and managing what to do with all the sweat.

Mentally, I have to get into that blinder focus state, where the world kind of shuts off and it's nothing but breathing, the road directly in front of me, and holding cadence. I'll only really look up to judge terrain and lengthen or shorten my stride accordingly. If I get into that state, I can run for a long time.

2013-07-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: KSH

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by hessma Did a sprint tri this past weekend in the heat and humidity and was completely spent over the last mile of the run. We've all been there whether training or racing. What does everyone use to get them through when their mind is telling them enough is enough? I have to admit, my mind won the battle last weekend and it was disappointing.
Having done sprints, Oly's, HIM's and IM's.... when I do a sprint I just focus on how short the distances are and tell myself to SUCK IT UP. On sprint distances, my goal on the bike is to be breathing hard and my quads should be burning... with the run I should barely be breathing. If I'm breathing heavy and hard, then I'm doing it right. I better be hurting too. If I'm not hurting, then I'm slacking off. I focus on making it hurt. I just saying to myself, "It is ONLY 3.1 miles... suck it up!"

I like this! I'm going to use it for my sprint next weekend. My last two races were a HIM and an Oly so I was kinda concerned about how to "treat" this one. Now I have guidance! Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Side of Training and Racing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bilaterial Breathing for Training - One side for racing

Started by KeithH
Views: 2175 Posts: 21

2012-08-27 3:05 PM kathy caribe

The mental training rollercoaster

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 503 Posts: 4

2006-09-13 5:22 PM Clare44

How much mental training do you do?

Started by meredith
Views: 810 Posts: 23

2006-05-31 10:07 PM jmwebs

The mental side of training and racing

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 1124 Posts: 7

2004-12-15 12:35 PM GatorGirl22

Mental Training

Started by lilbear7
Views: 560 Posts: 2

2004-06-02 10:27 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : January 16, 2008
author : hillarybiscay
Our members chat with Hillary Biscay on Ironman racing and training, fluid and nutrition setup, Ironman post race rest, massages, mental training, becoming faster on the bike and swimming.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
comments : 1
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!

date : August 31, 2004
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.