Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-24 6:10 AM

User image

Subject: Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike

2013-07-24 6:32 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike
Looks like a just and fair ruling. He was negligent and responsible. The plea bargain seems fair as it would be for other circumstances such as a car inflicting the same.
2013-07-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike

Was surprised at first that he didn't get any jail time based on the level of negligence. But further reading says the family didn't want him to get jail time so I suppose that had a decent amount to do with it. 

Can't imagine any excuse for doing 30mph in town and blowing thru red lights. 

2013-07-24 11:35 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Was surprised at first that he didn't get any jail time based on the level of negligence. But further reading says the family didn't want him to get jail time so I suppose that had a decent amount to do with it. 

Can't imagine any excuse for doing 30mph in town and blowing thru red lights. 

it's san francisco.  i don't know that i'd be able to stop at the red lights!  (not excusable and i agree with the sentencing, but i can't even imagine biking those hills....)

2013-07-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Chicago
I saw a cyclist blow through a red light last night on my way home, nearly getting hit by a car on the cross street and nearly taking out a woman with a stroller crossing in the crosswalk. I yelled at him and he flipped me off. Like I was the one who just did something wrong. It really isn't hard to understand why most of the population hates cyclists.
2013-07-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mr2tony I saw a cyclist blow through a red light last night on my way home, nearly getting hit by a car on the cross street and nearly taking out a woman with a stroller crossing in the crosswalk. I yelled at him and he flipped me off. Like I was the one who just did something wrong. It really isn't hard to understand why most of the population hates cyclists.

x2 I saw one this morning on my way to work. Just blows through a red light (with no helmet on), after passing a line of stopped cars on their right. Genius. 

2013-07-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mr2tony I saw a cyclist blow through a red light last night on my way home, nearly getting hit by a car on the cross street and nearly taking out a woman with a stroller crossing in the crosswalk. I yelled at him and he flipped me off. Like I was the one who just did something wrong. It really isn't hard to understand why most of the population hates cyclists.

x2 I saw one this morning on my way to work. Just blows through a red light (with no helmet on), after passing a line of stopped cars on their right. Genius. 

Last night riding home from work, there's a guy ahead of me in the bike lane. He's swerving all over the place, reaching down for his bottle swerves 10 feet into the traffic lane, swerves back. I waited for an opening then passed him in the traffic lane. After a short bit I get to a stop light and am waiting, light turns green and he blows by me on the right. I just wanted to slap him, he's probably off cars that are then trying to take aim at me.
2013-07-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by JoshR

Originally posted by lisac957

Last night riding home from work, there's a guy ahead of me in the bike lane. He's swerving all over the place, reaching down for his bottle swerves 10 feet into the traffic lane, swerves back. I waited for an opening then passed him in the traffic lane. After a short bit I get to a stop light and am waiting, light turns green and he blows by me on the right. I just wanted to slap him, he's probably off cars that are then trying to take aim at me.

Yeah that's what I worry about -- the drivers are now angry and hating on cyclists, so I just hope I dont encounter them next time I'm on the road!
2013-07-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
I'm like most people here.....I've never done anything wrong on a bike.  That's my story.
2013-07-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm like most people here.....I've never done anything wrong on a bike.  That's my story.

I've blown lights that I wouldn't have even considered doing were I in a car, slow and go at stop signs when there's no traffic, and similar, but I don't believe I've ever killed anyone whilst on my bike.

(edit) Oh, are you going for the Heidi look in your avatar? You're a bit off, if you are.

Edited by DanielG 2013-07-24 5:02 PM
2013-07-24 10:26 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by Left Brain I'm like most people here.....I've never done anything wrong on a bike.  That's my story.
I've blown lights that I wouldn't have even considered doing were I in a car, slow and go at stop signs when there's no traffic, and similar, but I don't believe I've ever killed anyone whilst on my bike. (edit) Oh, are you going for the Heidi look in your avatar? You're a bit off, if you are.

The damn chlorine has destroyed my hair.

2013-07-25 11:38 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Left Brain I'm like most people here.....I've never done anything wrong on a bike.  That's my story.
I've blown lights that I wouldn't have even considered doing were I in a car, slow and go at stop signs when there's no traffic, and similar, but I don't believe I've ever killed anyone whilst on my bike. (edit) Oh, are you going for the Heidi look in your avatar? You're a bit off, if you are.

I just think it's cool buckwheat posts on tri boards..

2013-07-25 11:42 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Originally posted by TriMike

I just think it's cool buckwheat posts on tri boards..

I thought it was a male version of the bus driver from the movie Enchanted

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Have a great Memorial Day weekend (for us U.S. citizens) -

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 491 Posts: 1

2009-05-22 3:31 PM 1stTimeTri

U.S. Busines leaving the U.S.

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1400 Posts: 23

2009-03-13 9:27 PM klowman

Vick Pleads Guilty

Started by nighthawk
Views: 754 Posts: 12

2007-08-20 9:29 PM bigscarymonster

did pelosi commit a felony?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 432 Posts: 2

2007-04-21 2:26 AM madkat

Why isn't this news? Libby GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

Started by Renee
Views: 1322 Posts: 25

2007-03-09 6:26 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
If stay in the aero position for an extended period of time, I experience discomfort in my right hip and the lateral aspect of my left knee since putting on aerobars.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).