General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hamilton Township, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 24s
Overall Rank = 17/18
Age Group = Female Aquabike
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:30, packed last minute stuff and headed to the park by 5. As typical not able to eat anything but drank water before start
Event warmup:

Got into the water for an easy swim which always seems to settle the butterflies for the most part
Swim
  • 40m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before start was floating on my back rather than tread water. Worked great started toward the front just behind the fast swimmers off to the right. Great swim for me -freestyle the entire way - drafted a bit and but maintained my own pace for the race. Did get passed by faster swimmers from the waves starting behind me but when felt someone come up on me I did kick my feet to keep them from swimming over me. Tried to keep towards the middle rather than hugging the buoys - gave me open water
What would you do differently?:

not much
Transition 1
  • 05m 45s
Comments:

Sucked down a gel while putting on shoes. Had to really go to the bathroom - wonder if it is was from nerves but held it. Decided to leave sunglasses in transition because it was overcast. Long run to bike mount across grass, over berm, took my time to keep from cramping legs.
What would you do differently?:

Roll socks better so that they were easier to get on, practice flying mount and getting feet into shoes on the bike, maybe try to bike without socks???
Bike
  • 1h 32m 7s
  • 22.75 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Best time ever for the course and personal fastest. Road in drops a good part of the time - was passed by LOTS of people but did not let that bother me. Lots of bike traffic on the first loop, not quite as bad on the second.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to Ryan's Quest tent , did a little stretching, got some food and water, cheered on the rest of the team as they finished their run portion.

Event comments:

So happy with my performance on my first olympic distance race - swim was great. Yes, the water was warm but not as horrible as some thought it was. Was not really much hotter than swimming in a pool. Guess if you are used to swimming in the ocean then it would be hot at 90 degrees. Amazed I did so well on the bike. I wanted to finish the race under 3 hours and definitely accomplished that - now only room to get faster and better!

Last updated: 2012-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 15/18
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: lake swim with well marked buoys on left with exception of last one which was right turn
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:32:07 | 22.75 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 17/18
Wind: Little
Course: New course through Robbinsville - 2 loops which we had practiced several times
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-24 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by gadzooks
Views: 1653 Posts: 7

2013-07-23 3:22 PM Jason N

Started by runnerg1rl7
Views: 1333 Posts: 4

2013-07-23 10:16 AM ChiLakeShore

Started by cruzanvi
Views: 1315 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 9:28 AM cruzanvi

Started by mnbrickx
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 7:59 AM mnbrickx

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 1:57 PM stevepiv
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.