General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-06-19 1:38 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

For the past several years I've done a bike course tour for out of town folks, usually on Friday afternoon.  I'd enjoy doing it again this year if there's any interest.  It usually takes around 1 1/2 hours.  I can fit 4 passengers in my truck and if there's more than that, others are welcome to follow along in another vehicle.  So, for now, we can plan on meeting at City Park at 2:00 on Friday afternoon and we'll go from there.  I can give you a little bit of inside scoop on the bike (and run) course during the drive and since you won't be driving yourselves, you can enjoy the scenery and check out the course a little more closely.  If anyone is interested, PM me and we'll get plans finalized.  Hope the taper is going great for everyone.

2014-06-20 9:04 AM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Can't believe it is less than a week until I get to CdA. Actually, I think I can believe it. Seems like a long time I've been training, and I'm looking forward to the test. So very excited to feel the energy of Ironman week and race day.
2014-06-20 2:33 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Originally posted by kmac1346

Can't believe it is less than a week until I get to CdA. Actually, I think I can believe it. Seems like a long time I've been training, and I'm looking forward to the test. So very excited to feel the energy of Ironman week and race day.

Good to see folks checking in. My nerves are jangling -- not so much from the anticipation of the event, but the change in training habits has been pretty jarring.

Trying to concentrate on my job. It's not working. :-)
2014-06-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: rbhancock1

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am surprised that there has not been more freaking out here. Usually the tapering craziness kicks in about 4 days ago. We head up on Wed. get there Thursday. Bike chain is clean, race tires on, almost time to pack. Ya taper is a bit different, usual aches and pains, occasional nightmare about forgetting something small for T1... like your bike. Everyone is set for the race, pace appropriately, hang in there and you will get to the finish line. I am hoping for calm water for the swim, anything else will be gravy.
2014-06-20 7:40 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Regular
I"ll be flying from FL to Seattle on Tuesday w my boys. Figured, while we're out on the opposite end of the country might as well check out Seattle and what it has to offer. Plus, I get a direct flight, which is big. Renting a car and coming to CDA on Wed. Can't wait. Bike is on the way via Tri Bike Transport.

I hope everyone has a great race. We've put alot of training into this for sure.

Tom
2014-06-20 9:54 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Baton Rouge
Tribike Transport picked my bike up yesterday. I leave Baton Rouge for Billings Montana on Tuesday. My buddy who did LP last year with me lives there, we will drive to CdA and check in Thursday. It will be good to get out of the 90+ temps and humidity. I am starting to get very antsy and cant stop moving. Although the good thing is that I can actually feel myself recovering.

2014-06-21 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by Flyboy

For the past several years I've done a bike course tour for out of town folks, usually on Friday afternoon.  I'd enjoy doing it again this year if there's any interest.  It usually takes around 1 1/2 hours.  I can fit 4 passengers in my truck and if there's more than that, others are welcome to follow along in another vehicle.  So, for now, we can plan on meeting at City Park at 2:00 on Friday afternoon and we'll go from there.  I can give you a little bit of inside scoop on the bike (and run) course during the drive and since you won't be driving yourselves, you can enjoy the scenery and check out the course a little more closely.  If anyone is interested, PM me and we'll get plans finalized.  Hope the taper is going great for everyone.

Still have room for a couple more if anyone would like to go along.  Safe travels to everyone.

2014-06-21 5:43 PM

I can tell you my emotions are up and down. Times I feel like I'm going to finish and other times where I need to do just one more mile/workout/swim/etc....

Rookie question about massages. Any one suggest or have timeline on when you recommend the last possible day before race day to do one? It has been many months since I had one and should have been doing them more frequently. I was thinking this coming Monday (6 days) before the race to allow for all the soreness to dissipate. Thoughts?

Sam
2014-06-21 9:38 PM
in reply to: Champ88

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Champ88

I can tell you my emotions are up and down. Times I feel like I'm going to finish and other times where I need to do just one more mile/workout/swim/etc....

Rookie question about massages. Any one suggest or have timeline on when you recommend the last possible day before race day to do one? It has been many months since I had one and should have been doing them more frequently. I was thinking this coming Monday (6 days) before the race to allow for all the soreness to dissipate. Thoughts?

Sam

Not a real big fan of massages to close to race day. For sure not any deep tissue, perhaps the slightess of a "flush" early in week. But heck, just foam roll and self massage. I'm not an expert by any means, so take it for what's it worth.

Tom
2014-06-22 1:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Sam

If you haven't done one in many months, I would recommend against getting one at this point. At most, maybe have a light flush, but as Tom said, a roller and self massage might be better at this point. If you do get one, be very sure whoever gives it to you knows you have a big race and you don't want anything more than a flush. If you do deep tissue at this point - or anything hard enough that makes you sore - you are hurting your performance in the race.
2014-06-22 2:39 PM
in reply to: #5009375

Thanks guys! This is why I enjoy visiting the site. I'm not going to schedule one and just do some light foam rolling. My IT bands seem to be flaring up again and have had throbbing on my right shin/ankle for a few weeks now. Not too bad just enough to notice on the days I've pushed a little. T

2014-06-22 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Trip from Memphis to Pennsylvania was easy. Family reunion is winding down. Starting our long trek to CdA tonight. Train safe everyone and stay healthy.
2014-06-23 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Race week! Hope they don't expect too much productivity at work this week! Dropped bike off for Tribike Transport. Had brief worry that I messed up the date when I got to the shop. Didn't see any obvious signs of where to go. But, got it figured out and dropped off. Now, just three more days of work, then heading to CdA on Thursday. Bummer that U.S. v Germany will be right when I'm on my flight. So very excited for this whole week. This is what all those hours were all about. Let's all bring it this Sunday!
2014-06-23 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Heading for CDA tomorrow morning, can't hardly wait. Only a 7 hour drive for me, gonna put the top down and enjoy a nice drive.

The wife surprised me with some Zipp 404's for my bday last week, had a few rides on them now, can't wait to race on them.

Got the bike all prepped and checked out the new bike rack, everything should be good to go!

2014-06-23 2:27 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Heading for CDA tomorrow morning, can't hardly wait. Only a 7 hour drive for me, gonna put the top down and enjoy a nice drive.

The wife surprised me with some Zipp 404's for my bday last week, had a few rides on them now, can't wait to race on them.

Got the bike all prepped and checked out the new bike rack, everything should be good to go!

Sweet! Enjoy the drive.

2014-06-23 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Safe travels to everyone hitting the roads or the sky to get to the race!

2014-06-23 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Your wife rules.
2014-06-23 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Very nice.

We left the family reunion in Pennsylvania last night, wife and I are tag teaming the drive, in Minnesota now. My 4 kids are kicking this drive's butt
2014-06-25 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
What is that little feeling in my stomach? Oh yes, that would be the butterflies!
2014-06-25 1:11 PM

User image

Looks like we're getting a very good day. Cooler, with a bit of wind.

I'm heading to CDA tomorrow. Safe travels to all.
2014-06-25 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Best of luck to all of you this coming Sunday. Hope the weather is as good as it was last year and that the water isn't too harsh on everyone.

2014-06-25 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by rbhancock1

Looks like we're getting a very good day. Cooler, with a bit of wind.

I'm heading to CDA tomorrow. Safe travels to all.

Swam in the lake today, it was cold but not too bad and I have never gone swimming in anything near this cold. CdA is beautiful.
2014-06-26 2:34 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by ultramike You can officially count me out for Coeur d'Alene. It has been 3 weeks since my injury (tibialis anterior tendonitis). It is getting better though. I ran for 15 minutes yesterday without any pain. And it doesn't hurt to walk anymore. I'm turning my focus toward Ironman Canada in Whistler on July 27th. My bike and swim fitness is stronger than ever, and between short runs and water running I feel like I can do this. Good luck to everyone. I'll be following you guys online on June 29th.

I won't be able to follow you guys online on June 29th after all.  I'll be too busy racing!  I had a foot injury set me back as I was trying to build up my running mileage, so I decided to just take the fitness I have left and just do Coeur d'Alene.  I'll deal with the consequences and take the time to heal and rest once the race is over.   

I'm leaving for CDA early tomorrow morning.  Hopefully my run split isn't longer than my bike split.  

2014-06-27 12:50 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by ultramike You can officially count me out for Coeur d'Alene. It has been 3 weeks since my injury (tibialis anterior tendonitis). It is getting better though. I ran for 15 minutes yesterday without any pain. And it doesn't hurt to walk anymore. I'm turning my focus toward Ironman Canada in Whistler on July 27th. My bike and swim fitness is stronger than ever, and between short runs and water running I feel like I can do this. Good luck to everyone. I'll be following you guys online on June 29th.

I won't be able to follow you guys online on June 29th after all.  I'll be too busy racing!  I had a foot injury set me back as I was trying to build up my running mileage, so I decided to just take the fitness I have left and just do Coeur d'Alene.  I'll deal with the consequences and take the time to heal and rest once the race is over.   

I'm leaving for CDA early tomorrow morning.  Hopefully my run split isn't longer than my bike split.  

Yes!
2014-06-28 2:58 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas

Thanks guys! This is why I enjoy visiting the site. I'm not going to schedule one and just do some light foam rolling. My IT bands seem to be flaring up again and have had throbbing on my right shin/ankle for a few weeks now. Not too bad just enough to notice on the days I've pushed a little. T

Hey Sam! I looked into the glove/ sock question. This is from the athlete's guide:

No fins, gloves, paddles, or flotation devices (including pull buoys) of any kind are allowed. • No Aqua socks (neoprene booties) unless the water temperature is 65.0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.

We should be around 61-63 degrees... so I picked up some booties
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138437 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382387 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134335 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3632 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61104 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.