General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-25 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete

"The mayor does enjoy some advantages over most triathletes. Instead of having to stand around barefoot in Speedos until the assigned start for his age group, Emanuel last year was allowed to launch with the very first wave, a concession that race organizers granted because he is mayor. Emanuel also has the means to afford a super-fast road bike."

The paragraph above from article makes it sound like the reporter is jealous of the mayor.

Whatever. At 53 he looks pretty good!!!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-07-25 3:18 PM

2013-07-25 3:27 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Justin86
Originally posted by Left Brain

Looks like I should just quit triathlons!  I took 5/15 and 38/206 in my last sprint.  I guess I'm to slow and it's not worth it.

I guess there should only be 3 people in each AG that race.

If it's worth it to you then that's all that matters.  

In the overal triathlon picture, you are not fast.  I'm in the same glass house so don't think I'm throwing bricks. We're not fast....it is what it is. I enjoy triathlon.  Go watch fast people.....you'll get an entirely diffferent perspective.

I was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure you got that but just wanted to make sure.

I enjoy the triathlon and I don't care if I'm fast or not (which I'm not).  All that matters to me is that I finished and gave it 100% of my effort.  Doing that I (and all of us) are light years ahead of probably most people. 

I think we should be congratulating this mayor, it's shocking to see an article about a politician doing something productive and healthy.  I don't know much about his politics, but its refreshing to see this.

Yes, I got it......but as I read this thread, and you mention it as well, I am always struck by the "we are light years ahead of most people" attitude that alot of people who do triathlon have.  No we're not.  In fact, most people don't want anything to do with triathlon or training for one.  I'm training for an IM......that actually puts me light years BEHIND the guy who spends his free time volunteering at the soup kitchen....or the guy who doesn't have any free time because he's on the verge of finding a cure for some type of cancer.  I do what I do for myself, and to a smaller degree for my kids so they learn good exercise habits.......it's actually pretty selfish when you strip it all away.

I don't find it shocking to see an article about a mayor or anyone else doing something for their health......plenty of people do....most of them don't do triathlon.  He's not a fast triathlete......in fact, the author can say that about almost all of us. 

2013-07-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Chillin

If you can complete a triathlon at Any pace then you are faster than most people in the world. Nobody should be tearing down any finisher for not being fast enough.

Haters gonna hate.

Came here to say this.

Very bad form from the WSJ.
2013-07-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Shorter yes. Less competitive?!? Not even close....

I think the longer the events are, the more people are in it to survive and finish. The shorter the event the higher the likelihood of more people going full bore, redlining every moment. Thereby making sprints quite possibly much MORE competitive...

2013-07-25 6:33 PM
in reply to: faded_memories

User image

Pro

Originally posted by faded_memories Shorter yes. Less competitive?!? Not even close.... I think the longer the events are, the more people are in it to survive and finish. The shorter the event the higher the likelihood of more people going full bore, redlining every moment. Thereby making sprints quite possibly much MORE competitive...

They can be.....but some sprints that are held in conjunction with Oly races are actually relatively slow (less competitive).  The Chicago race that was linked here is a good example......1:06 winning a sprint race is fairly slow relative to what most sprint races are won.  I'd bet quite a bit of money that more than a few people in the Oly race could beat that time. Granted, the bike is about a mile long, but 1:06 is still a relatively slow winning time for that distance  A true sprint of 750M/20K/5K is won at 54-59 minutes depending on the course.  7-10 minutes back of that is not really in the race at sprint distance. 40 minutes back is in a different race altogether.

Again, it really doesn't matter unless we are talking about what "fast" is like the point the article is making.  Sorry, 1:36:00 for a sprint is not close to fast. Still, like I have said....great work by the Mayor, it doesn't appear he cares.

2013-07-25 8:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

• ..I am always struck by the "we are light years ahead of most people" attitude that alot of people who do triathlon have.  No we're not.  In fact, most people don't want anything to do with triathlon or training for one.  I'm training for an IM......that actually puts me light years BEHIND the guy who spends his free time volunteering at the soup kitchen....or the guy who doesn't have any free time because he's on the verge of finding a cure for some type of cancer.  I do what I do for myself, and to a smaller degree for my kids so they learn good exercise habits.......it's actually pretty selfish when you strip it all away.

I don't find it shocking to see an article about a mayor or anyone else doing something for their health......plenty of people do....most of them don't do triathlon.  He's not a fast triathlete......in fact, the author can say that about almost all of us. 

• I don't think anyone here thinks "we are light years ahead of most people", not at all. Faster at triathlons than most people, not better people, just faster. The issue is simply about putting someone down for what they do for Recreation.

It is 100% ok to talk about professional athletes, how they are fast or slow, skilled or not, whatever. But when you talk about what people do for their own recreation and their own health then it just comes off as rude. If a different politicians health and recreation sport of choice is tennis do you think they would, or should, write an article about how they are poor at it?

2013-07-25 8:53 PM

User image

Pro
    Originally posted by Left Brain ...I am always struck by the "we are light years ahead of most people" attitude that alot of people who do triathlon have.  No we're not.  In fact, most people don't want anything to do with triathlon or training for one.  I'm training for an IM......that actually puts me light years BEHIND the guy who spends his free time volunteering at the soup kitchen....or the guy who doesn't have any free time because he's on the verge of finding a cure for some type of cancer.  I do what I do for myself, and to a smaller degree for my kids so they learn good exercise habits.......it's actually pretty selfish when you strip it all away.

I don't think anyone here thinks "we are light years ahead of most people", not at all. Faster at triathlons than most people, not better people, just faster. The issue is simply about putting someone down for what they do for Recreation. It is 100% ok to talk about professional athletes, how they are fast or slow, skilled or not, whatever. But when you talk about what people do for their own recreation and their own health then it just comes off as rude. If a different politicians health and recreation sport of choice is tennis do you think they would, or should, write an article about how they are poor at it?

The author didn't say he was "poor at it"....he said that the Mayor wasn't fast....and he's not.  He's like almost all of us.  Like I said, it's a good thing to be fit enough to finish a triathlon....but it's another thing to be fast.  The tone of the article was that the Mayor is held up as a fast triathlete but he isn't.  I'll say it again, I don't really see the need to bash the guy about it, but the article is factually correct.

2013-07-25 9:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain ...I am always struck by the "we are light years ahead of most people" attitude that alot of people who do triathlon have.  No we're not.  In fact, most people don't want anything to do with triathlon or training for one.  I'm training for an IM......that actually puts me light years BEHIND the guy who spends his free time volunteering at the soup kitchen....or the guy who doesn't have any free time because he's on the verge of finding a cure for some type of cancer.  I do what I do for myself, and to a smaller degree for my kids so they learn good exercise habits.......it's actually pretty selfish when you strip it all away.

I don't think anyone here thinks "we are light years ahead of most people", not at all. Faster at triathlons than most people, not better people, just faster. The issue is simply about putting someone down for what they do for Recreation. It is 100% ok to talk about professional athletes, how they are fast or slow, skilled or not, whatever. But when you talk about what people do for their own recreation and their own health then it just comes off as rude. If a different politicians health and recreation sport of choice is tennis do you think they would, or should, write an article about how they are poor at it?

The author didn't say he was "poor at it"....he said that the Mayor wasn't fast....and he's not.  He's like almost all of us.  Like I said, it's a good thing to be fit enough to finish a triathlon....but it's another thing to be fast.  The tone of the article was that the Mayor is held up as a fast triathlete but he isn't.  I'll say it again, I don't really see the need to bash the guy about it, but the article is factually correct.

Poor and not fast are the same thing in the context of your ability in those 2 sports.

Also not fast as compared to who? As compared to the average American? As compared to other Chicagoites? As compared to other 50+ males? As compared to other people competing in the same tri's as him in his age group?

Based on all of those he IS fast.

Compared to elite athletes or professional athletes he is not. But he does not fit in either one of those categories.

So he Is fast in the categories he fits in and is not fast in the categories he does Not fit in.

The way it is worded may be "factually correct" but that doesn't make it right.
    2013-07-25 9:22 PM

User image

Pro

Poor and not fast are the same thing in the context of your ability in those 2 sports. Also not fast as compared to who? As compared to the average American? As compared to other Chicagoites? As compared to other 50+ males? As compared to other people competing in the same tri's as him in his age group? Based on all of those he IS fast. Compared to elite athletes or professional athletes he is not. But he does not fit in either one of those categories. So he Is fast in the categories he fits in and is not fast in the categories he does Not fit in. The way it is worded may be "factually correct" but that doesn't make it right.

If I remember correctly you haven't ran a triathlon yet.......he's not fast, sorry.  Like I said, it doesn't matter...for most of us that's not why we do it....but he's not fast....he's firmly MOP compared to everyone, not just elite athletes.  Oh yeah, I'm his age and have been at this awhile....he's not fast in his age group either.  You can't compare him to people who don't do triathlon....apples and oranges.  Is he fit for his age?  Absolutely!  Is he a fast triathlete? No.

2013-07-25 9:35 PM

User image

Poor and not fast are the same thing in the context of your ability in those 2 sports. Also not fast as compared to who? As compared to the average American? As compared to other Chicagoites? As compared to other 50+ males? As compared to other people competing in the same tri's as him in his age group? Based on all of those he IS fast. Compared to elite athletes or professional athletes he is not. But he does not fit in either one of those categories. So he Is fast in the categories he fits in and is not fast in the categories he does Not fit in. The way it is worded may be "factually correct" but that doesn't make it right.

If I remember correctly you haven't ran a triathlon yet.......he's not fast, sorry.  Like I said, it doesn't matter...for most of us that's not why we do it....but he's not fast....he's firmly MOP compared to everyone, not just elite athletes.  Oh yeah, I'm his age and have been at this awhile....he's not fast in his age group either.  You can't compare him to people who don't do triathlon....apples and oranges.  Is he fit for his age?  Absolutely!  Is he a fast triathlete? No.

9th out of 80 is not fast?
    27th out of 130 is not fast?

When do you consider a (recreational) athlete to be fast? Only when they podium?

Of course you can compare recreational athletes to everyone else. You can't compare elite athletes or professional athletes to everyone else, but people that do it just for recreation? Of course you can.

What does my personal tri record have to do with this?
    2013-07-25 9:44 PM

User image

Pro

Look, if you consider a 1:36 sprint to be fast then rock on.  Where you place is not a good metric.  I know of races that I can win my age group.  I'm not fast.  I'm a bit faster than the mayor....usually about a 1:20 sprint.  I'm not fast.  In a competitive race I finish in the top 30% - 40% of my age group. 

What does your lack of experience have to do with it?  You don't have any idea what fast is in triathlon.  The mayor is not fast....not even for his age.

Look, I'm done.  I'm glad you're here and it's cool that you are getting ready to do your first tri.  Have a ball!

2013-07-25 9:52 PM

User image

Look, if you consider a 1:36 sprint to be fast then rock on.  Where you place is not a good metric.  I know of races that I can win my age group.  I'm not fast.  I'm a bit faster than the mayor....usually about a 1:20 sprint.  I'm not fast.  In a competitive race I finish in the top 30% - 40% of my age group. 

What does your lack of experience have to do with it?  You don't have any idea what fast is in triathlon.  The mayor is not fast....not even for his age.

Look, I'm done.  I'm glad you're here and it's cool that you are getting ready to do your first tri.  Have a ball!

So top 30% is not fast?

Winning your age group is not fast?

Define what fast is then. You seem to have a strange idea of what fast is.

Like I said for his age group in the races he enters he is fast. You seem to think that winning a race is irrelevant if in a different race somewhere people do better. I disagree.

My personal experience defines for you my ability to know if other people in other age groups in other races are or are not fast? So you can't talk about Ironman Tri results if you've never done one? Or any other sport that you don't do? (BTW I Have done a tri)
    2013-07-25 9:56 PM

User image

Pro

Dude....if you'll go back and read, I already said what fast is.

No, you can't compare one race to another, whether IM or sprint...except at the pointy end, where fast is.....you'll learn and hopefully it will be fun for you.

You're killin' me. LMAO  Laughing

2013-07-25 10:03 PM

User image

No, you can't compare one race to another, whether IM or sprint...except at the pointy end, where fast is.....you'll learn and hopefully it will be fun for you.

Dude, no actually you didn't. Not in the context of what I asked you, only in the context of being compared to those who are really fast.

I'll learn? Learn what? You transparent attempts to ridicule me don't help make your point and they don't help you refute my point either.
    2013-07-25 10:04 PM

User image

Pro

Dude, no actually you didn't. Not in the context of what I asked you, only in the context of being compared to those who are really fast. I'll learn? Learn what? You transparent attempts to ridicule me don't help make your point and they don't help you refute my point either.

OK....he's fast. A 1:36 sprint is fast!!

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-25 10:06 PM
    2013-07-25 10:14 PM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Dude, no actually you didn't. Not in the context of what I asked you, only in the context of being compared to those who are really fast. I'll learn? Learn what? You transparent attempts to ridicule me don't help make your point and they don't help you refute my point either.

Woah nelly.

Chillin, let's chill for a second.

LB knows his chit.  Seriously.  You can learn a lot from him.  Many of us can.  His kid is on track to go pro, and I have seen these kids race; that, my friend, is what truly fast is.  We (almost everyone on this board) did not pick our parents well enough to even be in the same universe as pros or elites.  So, as you have suggested, let's leave them out of this.

"Fast" can absolutely not be compared across races.  It really can't, unless, as LB said, you are at the very, very pointy end.  I can win an AG and can even win or podium overall at many (most) of my local races.  In a big race, I'm somewhere in the FOP, but not really "fast". 

Really, there is a big difference.

No one would consider 1:36 for a sprint fast, regardless of AG.

2013-07-25 10:43 PM

User image

Expert

Looks like I should just quit triathlons!  I took 5/15 and 38/206 in my last sprint.  I guess I'm to slow and it's not worth it.

In the overal triathlon picture, you are not fast.  I'm in the same glass house so don't think I'm throwing bricks. We're not fast....it is what it is. I enjoy triathlon.  Go watch fast people.....you'll get an entirely diffferent perspective.

Justin was faster than 168 other people in his race. That's fantastic!!! (yes of course not compared to lot's of other people.. yada yada yada..................)

The article about the mayor was dumb. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-25 10:47 PM
    2013-07-25 10:48 PM
    in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
    Of course it's fantastic....it all is.  But it's not fast. That's a different animal.
    2013-07-25 11:03 PM
    in reply to: switch

Originally posted by switch

Woah nelly.

LB knows his chit.  Seriously.  You can learn a lot from him.  Many of us can.  His kid is on track to go pro, and I have seen these kids race; that, my friend, is what truly fast is.  We (almost everyone on this board) did not pick our parents well enough to even be in the same universe as pros or elites.  So, as you have suggested, let's leave them out of this.

"Fast" can absolutely not be compared across races.  It really can't, unless, as LB said, you are at the very, very pointy end.  I can win an AG and can even win or podium overall at many (most) of my local races.  In a big race, I'm somewhere in the FOP, but not really "fast". 

This whole discussion kind of misses what's wrong with the article.
    Rahm is not a fast triathlete. He's swimming well over 2:00 per hundred in a lake, biking under 20 mph in a flat city (I lived there), and running 9:00+ miles in the same flat city. A typical 50-54 age group winner would - conservatively - swim under 1:30 per hundred, bike over 20 mph and run seven minute miles. If someone disagrees, please link to some races where Rahm's times would have gotten him to the podium.
    But . . .
    The author is arguing with a straw man. Rahm has never bragged his times, as the author acknowledges. If asked, it sure sounds like RAHM WOULD AGREE WITH THE AUTHOR.
    Given that, it's not clear why the author bothered to track down Rahm's times - 11 months after he had raced - and rip them. I don't know anyone involved here, but from far away, it looks like a petty vendetta.
    2013-07-25 11:07 PM
    in reply to: RZ0

User image

Pro
    Originally posted by RZ0

Woah nelly.

This whole discussion kind of misses what's wrong with the article. Rahm is not a fast triathlete. He's swimming well over 2:00 per hundred in a lake, biking under 20 mph in a flat city (I lived there), and running 9:00+ miles in the same flat city. A typical 50-54 age group winner would - conservatively - swim under 1:30 per hundred, bike over 20 mph and run seven minute miles. If someone disagrees, please link to some races where Rahm's times would have gotten him to the podium. But . . . The author is arguing with a straw man. Rahm has never bragged his times, as the author acknowledges. If asked, it sure sounds like RAHM WOULD AGREE WITH THE AUTHOR. Given that, it's not clear why the author bothered to track down Rahm's times - 11 months after he had raced - and rip them. I don't know anyone involved here, but from far away, it looks like a petty vendetta.

All exactly right.   Ripping the mayor for not being fast makes no sense.....unless there is something I don't know, but even the author says that the mayor has never commented.  Kate's right too....it's dumb.

2013-07-25 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure you got that but just wanted to make sure.

I enjoy the triathlon and I don't care if I'm fast or not (which I'm not).  All that matters to me is that I finished and gave it 100% of my effort.  Doing that I (and all of us) are light years ahead of probably most people. 

I think we should be congratulating this mayor, it's shocking to see an article about a politician doing something productive and healthy.  I don't know much about his politics, but its refreshing to see this.

Yes, I got it......but as I read this thread, and you mention it as well, I am always struck by the "we are light years ahead of most people" attitude that alot of people who do triathlon have.  No we're not.  In fact, most people don't want anything to do with triathlon or training for one.  I'm training for an IM......that actually puts me light years BEHIND the guy who spends his free time volunteering at the soup kitchen....or the guy who doesn't have any free time because he's on the verge of finding a cure for some type of cancer.  I do what I do for myself, and to a smaller degree for my kids so they learn good exercise habits.......it's actually pretty selfish when you strip it all away.

Once again you bring up some excellent points.  Makes me rethink some of what I have said. 

2013-07-26 1:05 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Woah nelly.

Huh? Chill? I'm always chill.

I never said he didn't know his , that has nothing to do with it. The issue is that he is talking in absolutes when things like fast or slow are NOT absolute terms. If he said that he Thought he was not fast then he would be correct, him saying that this guy IS not fast is simply wrong. Fast is a relative term and in the context of his race results he Is fast. He doesn't consider top 30% fast. I do. Is he right? Am I? We both are in that those are our opinions, but when we start expressing our opinions as fact then we are wrong.

He was also clearly trying to belittle me to make his point. I'm sorry but I can't help but lose respect for people that do that.

Can I learn something from him? Undoubtedly, yes. If he a great father? Probably, yes. Neither of those point have anything to do with what we were discussing though.
    2013-07-26 1:07 AM

User image

OK....he's fast. A 1:36 sprint is fast!!

No it isn't.
    2013-07-26 1:42 AM
    in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Veteran
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that the triathlon community should challenge Mr Kevin Helliker (the author of this WSJ article) to train for and undertake a sprint triathlon. What says everyone?
    2013-07-26 3:23 PM
    in reply to: Justin86

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
    There is a nice "contact us" link at the bottom of the WSJ website. In case anyone else besides me wants to give them their 2 cents.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice

Started by formongo
    Views: 1451 Posts: 18

2011-07-28 2:53 PM alath

Slow Fat Triathlete book

Started by DRG
    Views: 1370 Posts: 16

2006-07-03 3:18 PM Colomingle

Why am I so slow on the bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by surfwallace
    Views: 3657 Posts: 38

2013-08-06 7:22 PM adelsud

Why am I so slow on the bike?

Started by lablover
    Views: 2081 Posts: 24

2005-04-05 8:41 PM runnergirl29

Am I to Slow to participate?

Started by Tamzo
    Views: 1251 Posts: 4

2003-08-15 6:25 AM Tamzo
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 17, 2011
    author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
    comments : 5
    Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : June 17, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 18, 2006
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 2
    Sinus bradycardia is defined as a heart rate less than 55 beats per minute. Bradycardia is commonly seen in well conditioned athletes, but other circumstances can cause a slow heart rate.
    date : January 1, 2006
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 2, 2005
    author : writers2
    comments : 20
    My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
    date : April 17, 2005
    author : sekhmet
    comments : 1
    We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : January 10, 2005
    author : mikericci
    comments : 0
    The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.