General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injury 13 weeks out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-26 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Subject: injury 13 weeks out
So I’ve been having some pain in my lower abs, especially at the beginning of runs and when sneezing. I have had a history of hernia so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t developing another. I went to my doc and he ordered an MRI to check for possible sports hernia. Results came back:

Your MRI shows that you have a tear of your abdominal rectus muscle on the left. You also have a stress fracture of your right pubis and a stress reaction of your left pubis.

The only pain that I have felt has been on the left side which is clearly coming from the tar in the muscle. Had it not been for that muscle tear, I would have never known about the stress fracture. The pain is not that bad…scale of 1-10, about a 7, but just when I start – it loosens up as the run goes on. On the bike I feel nothing abnormal…same in the pool except for pushing off the wall and doing flip turns.

I'm 21 weeks into Don Fink's Competitive Plan that abides by all of the typical training protocols. I built up to iron level training with several half's and a full marathon this past winter. IM SO FRUSTRATED right now I can't stand it. I've been so dedicated and put countless hours into this event - it was/is?? to be my first 140.6~

Am I going to have to bag my iron on Oct 26th? Could I get away with swimming and biking for the next 6-8 weeks, hope the stress fracture (and torn muscle) heal and then get back on my feet for five weeks - three of which will be "taper" weeks? Not looking for any doctor's advice, just maybe some common sense comments that will help me decide where to go from here.

2013-07-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: mramazon0822

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: injury 13 weeks out
sorry man...that doesn't sound good.

you've probably searched around for info already, but here's a thread that might apply:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5084116

what would I do? definitely lay off the running...if swimming and biking don't hurt, then yeah...go for it and hope for the best.
You might want to hear what the Doctor says anyway...

OTOH, I'd have a bail-out option in mind, in case the stress fracture doesn't heal in time. Good luck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injury 13 weeks out Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville Training Camp - July 13-15th

Started by TriSean99
Views: 1130 Posts: 5

2007-01-23 12:16 PM TacomaLuv

Riding IMWI Course 8/13 weekend

Started by Steve-
Views: 846 Posts: 1

2005-08-04 8:57 PM Steve-

IMAZ 13+ Weeks to go

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1950 Posts: 20

2005-01-20 10:21 AM madcow

13 weeks to a 13hr Ironman

Started by dragoman
Views: 4067 Posts: 18

2007-05-21 6:17 PM max

13 hour cutoff Pages: 1 2

Started by madcow
Views: 2374 Posts: 28

2005-02-01 8:51 PM maddog62
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
This article covers a variety of injuries that can lead to knee pain.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : December 22, 2011
comments : 2
Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll

date : January 9, 2010
author : Dr. Mark Klion
comments : 1
Dr. Mark Klion, NYC Triathlon co-medical director, gives an in-depth discussion on overuse injuries from triathlon training and what do for prevention and healing.
date : February 11, 2009
comments : 0
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : February 11, 2008
As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of strength training or weight lifting for reducing injuries?
date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout