General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration belts opinions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-30 6:43 PM

Subject: Hydration belts opinions
Wanted to see what your thoughts were on hydration belts? Love em, hate em? Looking to use on longer (8-26 mile) runs. I have a couple of camel backs, but I'm not wild about how they shake and chafe on the shoulders.

Recommendations are very welcome.

2013-07-30 9:31 PM
in reply to: carlsanford

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Hydration belts opinions
Started with a belt when my distances began to increase, but I switched to handhelds two years ago. I use the amphipod handhelds. Their shape fits my hands very well, much better than some of the round bottle brands. I always felt like I got a lot of bounce and slosh from the belt, and had a few long runs where it left me a little chaffed. I also ended up loosing a bottle every once in a while, maybe an average of one lost bottle a year.
2013-07-31 8:53 AM

I've got a few different Nathan hydration belts and have been happy with them for the most part. The older bottles would leak as you pulled the top open, but the newer ones are squeeze bottles and don't leak. Like the previous poster, said, they can bounce around a bit, but you'll just have to tighten the belt if that happens. I've used them in marathon training and was glad I had them.
2013-07-31 10:58 AM

Chicago
I love my old FuelBelt. But it's one of the "classic" ones with elastic for the bottles and I see why they went to the new style of fastener between the bottle and belt. The older version the elastic stretched over time and it definitely wasn't one-handed. I'm planning on upgrading soon to a newer model and love it enough that I'll just get the same one over again. I like the two 10 oz bottle version, btw. Rather than 4 smaller bottles. Just personal preference--easier to make whatever sports drink IMO.
2013-07-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I used a 2 and 4 bottle Fuel Belt over the past couple of years and did not like struggling to get the bottles back into the holders, especially the back ones.  It worked ok otherwise.

Last month bought a Nathan pack.  I like it much better.  I have used it up to 18 miles and have had no issue with chafing, bouncing around, or heat buildup.  In fact I put ice in it on warmer runs and it keeps me a little cooler for a while.  I really like the pockets on it.  Perfect for my music, cellphone, and gel flasks.

2013-07-31 2:16 PM

User image

Pro

I'm a belt guy.  Love the amphipod ones.  you can add and subtract bottles.  move them around the belt to the most comfortable position.  and you can get different size bottles and pouches.

having a place for my cell phone and some toilette paper is handy.

2013-07-31 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I depend on my hydration belts since the tap water isn't drinkable in Vietnam and there are no public water fountains. Tried Camelback and found it uncomfortable; also hard to keep it from getting moldy in the tropics. I have a one-bottle belt from Nathan that I've been very happy with (it comes with a 16 oz bottle) and a two-bottle model from REI (the Double Shot) that holds two 16 oz bottles. I've had several Double Shots (stuff falls apart quickly in the tropics) and have found that some years' models fit better than others. I'm a skinny woman with a small waist so "one size fits all" doesn't always work.

I also have an Osprey Talon double pack which is comfortable and holds a load of stuff in addition to two bottles--I tend to use this if I'm going to end a run at my gym to lift and/or swim, or if I'm doing a longer run on vacation and want to change clothes before taking public transport back to my hotel--it's big enough to hold some money, ID, map, cell phone, clean run top and shorts, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration belts opinions Rss Feed