General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 9:01 PM

User image

Montreal
Subject: Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start
I need some advice!

Last year I completed my first sprint without any cramping or bonking. The race started at 10:30am. I felt great the whole time. For breakfast (around 7am) had a smoothie (soy milk, banana, strawberries, vega powder, spirulina and a handful of oats) and I had a few crackers 45 mins before the start.

I'm competing in another sprint in a couple weeks, however, my wave starts at 1:30pm and I'm a little worried about over or under eating throughout the day. My nerves tend to get the best of me so I know I won't have much of an appetite. I was thinking of eating a sandwich with whole grain bread and tons of veggies at around 11am, and maybe an apple or an orange 45 mins before the start.

Anyone see any red flags with this approach? Should I eat something saltier? Anyone else have experience with an afternoon race? Any advice would be appreciated!!

(ps - I'm vegetarian if that matters at all)

2013-07-31 9:07 PM
in reply to: Shazzy

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start
try this approach on the weekends and go out for a hard/medium effort about the same time you would your race and see how you handle it. that would give you an answer without a doubt.
2013-07-31 9:29 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

I think that is way too much food for a sprint. You're going to be going at 100% effort most of the time. You don't want anything in your stomach pretty much. If anything, you should have a really light lunch at 9:30-10:00 am or so (I'd skip the veggies due to possible GI issues) and then just have a Gu 15 minutes before the race.

I agree with the above poster though. Try it out and see. I tried eating lunch and running 2-3 hours afterwards and it went horrible, so I learned to adjust but you may be different.
2013-07-31 9:31 PM
in reply to: Shazzy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've done two races with early afternoon starts, both in the tropics, I guess because the RD thought conditions might be cooler for the run. A sandwich sounds fine but you might want to reconsider whole grain and lots of veggies. What you want is something that will give you some energy and be easy to digest. Too much fiber on a nervous stomach wouldn't work for me, at least. I think for both races I had a PBJ sandwich--it was either white or some kind of semi-whole grain bread, fairly light. Plus maybe an orange or banana.

Some people like to eat a bit more closer to the start; an orange or banana, crackers, or maybe a gel or part of an energy bar. You can experiment with what works before a hard afternoon workout. I personally would avoid the apple unless you've tried it in training--the pectin can cause GI issues. For a sprint I probably wouldn't eat that close to an event but that's just me--I hammer pretty hard and tend to finish nauseous; the less food I have in my stomach within the last hour, the better. For an Olympic distance, I would probably want the extra energy, though.

Can certainly advise you NOT to eat rice with curried veggies and anchovies within a few hours of a PM start. Two of my tri-buddies did before their first Oly (in Indonesia) and both ended up vomiting during and after the race!
2013-08-01 5:18 AM
in reply to: #4818331

User image

Montreal
Never occurred to me to do a trial run - doye! Thanks for your help guys!

Ps- no anchovies, got it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start Rss Feed