General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I overtraining? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-01 4:11 AM

Subject: Am I overtraining?
Hey guys, first post here so I hope its in the right section.

Anyway, my Girlfriend and others have expressed concern at the amount of training I do, I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if I am.

Currently my training looks a bit like this.

Monday:
Hard run (At least 8km)

Tuesday:
Core/Abs workout
Spin training (40min hard)

Wednesday:
Rest

Thursday:
Track (Either 8x200m or 8x400m)
Hard 20km ride or hill training
Casual Badminton

Friday:
Easy run (at least 1 hour)
Spin training (40min hard)
Core/Abs workout

Saturday:
Track, 8x120m
Easy ride if I'm feeling okay

Sunday:
Long ride or long run

Also the occasional gym session and swimming, although I intend to increase swimming volume soon

2013-08-01 4:45 AM
in reply to: Dontcopy

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Am I overtraining?

Originally posted by Dontcopy Hey guys, first post here so I hope its in the right section. Anyway, my Girlfriend and others have expressed concern at the amount of training I do, I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if I am. Currently my training looks a bit like this. Monday: Hard run (At least 8km) Tuesday: Core/Abs workout Spin training (40min hard) Wednesday: Rest Thursday: Track (Either 8x200m or 8x400m) Hard 20km ride or hill training Casual Badminton Friday: Easy run (at least 1 hour) Spin training (40min hard) Core/Abs workout Saturday: Track, 8x120m Easy ride if I'm feeling okay Sunday: Long ride or long run Also the occasional gym session and swimming, although I intend to increase swimming volume soon

My first question is, what are your goals?  Are you training for anything specific?

My second question is, how do you feel?  Do YOU feel burnt out?

Third question, are the people questioning you into fitness?  If not, often they will never understand why someone would spend that much time on it.  It really comes down to how you feel and whether or not your feel your current workout schedule works for you.

2013-08-01 5:14 AM
in reply to: #4818426

User image

Montreal
That looks just about right to me. As long as you're not burning out, I say give it all you got
2013-08-01 5:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
For this sport, that actually isn't enough in my estimation. For an Iron distance, it's not uncommon to see 40m running, 200m riding, and 10k in the water per week. Like another poster said, it depends on your goals and your fitness. This stuff can be very hard to understand for girlfriends and wives who aren't also very active.
2013-08-01 5:52 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Not overtraining but probably going to move toward overreaching. Too many hard workouts (especially on the run) and not enough easy workouts. In general your training should altenrate hard days with easy days and if you are new to endurance training, then you should have no more than three hard workouts a week. A hard workout is any workout that you feel the effects of the following day or longer. If you do two workouts on one day as a beginner, then the other workout that day should be easy.

The vast majority of runs should be easy at a conversational pace and while you can generally swim and ride at a higher intensity since they are not load bearing, you still want to setup your training so you are not trying to do a hard workout everyday.

Shane
2013-08-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by gsmacleod Not overtraining but probably going to move toward overreaching. Too many hard workouts (especially on the run) and not enough easy workouts. In general your training should altenrate hard days with easy days and if you are new to endurance training, then you should have no more than three hard workouts a week. A hard workout is any workout that you feel the effects of the following day or longer. If you do two workouts on one day as a beginner, then the other workout that day should be easy. The vast majority of runs should be easy at a conversational pace and while you can generally swim and ride at a higher intensity since they are not load bearing, you still want to setup your training so you are not trying to do a hard workout everyday. Shane

+1, though it feels a little weird to +1 Shane cause he's always right :)

OP, this really is key, and Shane has just explained it in a very nice, succinct way.  My sports med doc fumbled around for 10 minutes trying to say what Shane said in four sentences.

2013-08-01 6:55 AM

Your friends/ gf probably aren't aren't concerned with your OVER training...
  • ..they are concerned about you UNDER spending time with them.

• My training pales in comparison of time/intensity to most, but the family always complains about how much time I spend on it.
    2013-08-01 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Probably need to cut that Thursday casual badminton back a little...classic over training mistake there.
    2013-08-01 7:03 AM
    in reply to: Dominion

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Originally posted by Dominion Probably need to cut that Thursday casual badminton back a little...classic over training mistake there. :)

FTW.

Wow.  Hilarious.

2013-08-01 7:29 AM
    in reply to: skibummer

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by skibummer Your friends/ gf probably aren't aren't concerned with your OVER training... ...they are concerned about you UNDER spending time with them. My training pales in comparison of time/intensity to most, but the family always complains about how much time I spend on it.

this is what i was thinking.  are you cancelling/too tired for dates?  since you started training how much have you decreased the amount of time you spend with her?  talk to her about it.  she probably just misses you.

2013-08-01 9:04 AM
    in reply to: skibummer

User image

Extreme Veteran
    , Kobenhavns Kommune
    Short answer: No.

It is almost impossible for the amateur with a full time job to overtrain.

Originally posted by skibummer

Your friends/ gf probably aren't aren't concerned with your OVER training...
  • ..they are concerned about you UNDER spending time with them.

• My training pales in comparison of time/intensity to most, but the family always complains about how much time I spend on it.

+1. Have a talk with the ones who matter to you in your life. Don't miss out on them.

2013-08-01 9:11 AM

Iron Donkey
    , Wisconsin
    Originally posted by Dontcopy

• Anyway, my Girlfriend and others have expressed concern at the amount of training I do, ...

I'm not understanding this statement, which is the start of why this topic came up to begin with.

Are they concerned of the volume of the training, the intensity of the training, a combination of both volume and intensity due to they are triathletes, like yourself, and like-minded, OR, is this a concern regarding "you do not spend that much time with them anymore" issue???
    2013-08-01 9:11 AM
    in reply to: erik.norgaard

I think it also depends on how much you were doing before.....I'm also a BT 'newbie' and when I first started training 3/4 weeks ago my wife said the same as before that I was only really going running twice a week and so was quite a step up to training 6 days a week. Once she got used to the schedule and saw that it wasn't leaving me wrecked for everything else (aka spending time with her) then she's been fine.

2013-08-01 9:30 AM
    in reply to: Nick27

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN
    How can you overtrain when there are no swims listed????
    2013-08-01 9:38 AM
    in reply to: jford2309

User image

NC
    Dump her.

2013-08-01 9:39 AM
    in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309 How can you overtrain when there are no swims listed????

don't listen to the overweight guy. ;-)

2013-08-01 9:39 AM

User image

Master
    Overland Park, KS
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

Not overtraining but probably going to move toward overreaching. Too many hard workouts (especially on the run) and not enough easy workouts. In general your training should altenrate hard days with easy days and if you are new to endurance training, then you should have no more than three hard workouts a week. A hard workout is any workout that you feel the effects of the following day or longer. If you do two workouts on one day as a beginner, then the other workout that day should be easy.

The vast majority of runs should be easy at a conversational pace and while you can generally swim and ride at a higher intensity since they are not load bearing, you still want to setup your training so you are not trying to do a hard workout everyday.

Shane

Yep, what Shane said. In terms of the hours spent training, that's not excessive for a person doing triathlons.
    2013-08-01 11:29 AM

User image

Master
    San Antone, Texas
    To be perfectly honest, that doesn't look like a great deal of training to me. But I have no idea what your goals and ambitions are.

Ask yourself these two questions:

1. Are you tired all the time?
    2. Are you hurt or injured often?

If the answer is no to both, then you're probably not over training.

But another poster hit the nail on the head concerning your families perceptions. Maybe if you make more time for them, they won't be so concerned with your training. Better yet, get them involved and train with you!
    2013-08-01 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
    Houston, TX
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

Not overtraining but probably going to move toward overreaching. Too many hard workouts (especially on the run) and not enough easy workouts. ....
    Shane

+8, I guess by now.

My coach's training plans at most calls for intervals - it might be a 4 mile run with 4 x 2 minutes at race pace, and the rest of the run at an easy pace. Or a 20 mile ride with 6 x 90 seconds at race pace with the rest at an easy pace. So if my 5k pace is about 8:30/mile, my easy pace is about 10:15/mile. Other workout it kept at an endurance pace, so for me, running 10k at 9:45 mile.

Running at a slower pace isn't wussing out. It teaches the body to build aerobic endurance and to burn fat instead of carbs. It's also a lot easier to recover from an easier workout. Doing hard workout after hard workout will lead to injury.

2013-08-02 3:37 AM

Thanks for the replies guys

I probably should have covered this already, but I've been running for around 2 years now, road cycling for about 7 months. My goal is to complete a Half Ironman and then eventually onto a full Ironman. I realise I do too many hard trainings already for running, but I find it hard to pace myself. Even with a running watch telling me how fast I'm going lol. I also just asked my girlfriend about it.. turns out you guys were right. Its not the volume, but more to do with the fact I spend less time with her. Anyway thanks for the replies
    2013-08-02 7:27 AM

User image

see if she wants to come running with you - maybe one a slower run day (it could help you with your pacing) or stuff like that - I don't know how athletic etc is she, but its something you could do together to an extent

2013-08-02 9:10 AM

User image

Pro

so, you came to a forum of exercise addicts and asked them if you're exercising too much.  he he he.

you got some good advice above.  If you get smitten by this endurance training bug, my guess is that you'll end up with new friends a year or two from now.

2013-08-02 9:18 AM
    in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
    Waukegan, IL
    Originally posted by austhokie

see if she wants to come running with you - maybe one a slower run day (it could help you with your pacing) or stuff like that - I don't know how athletic etc is she, but its something you could do together to an extent

This. I did this. I was going through the same thing...girlfriend saying I liked running, biking and swimming more than I liked her, which wasn't true. So I offered to help her train for a 5k. When I was running with her, I wasn't getting prime workouts for me, but she is more important to me than training. So...I just had an easy day.
    2013-08-02 12:31 PM

User image

IMO, it all relative, is this a lot, a little or about what you normally do? 

For someone just coming of  a training plan of doing 10 hrs a week of watching TV and doing reviews on Ruffles & Cheetos it most definitely could be.

For a top age grouper probably not anywhere close to over training.

How are you sleeping at night? 

Do you check your RHR in the morning? How is that compared to a baseline for yourself?

What is it that your GF/Friends think is your symptom of over training?

One of the thing to keep in mind is that exercise doesn't make you stronger rest does.

Good job on getting in the workouts. The one thing I would question is doing two track/speed workouts a week with the low volume of miles you are doing. 

2013-08-02 1:36 PM
    in reply to: Dominion

User image

Champion
    Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Dominion Probably need to cut that Thursday casual badminton back a little...classic over training mistake there.

I disagree, I say drop one of the spin training sessions and find a competitive badminton league. Gotta keep the eye of the tiger.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I overtraining? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Am I overtraining for sprint tri's?

Started by JKLipsky
    Views: 1251 Posts: 9

2010-08-12 12:24 PM JKLipsky

Am I Overtraining?

Started by dana_stuart
    Views: 1727 Posts: 11

2010-04-16 7:19 PM PennState

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
    Views: 3070 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

I am overtraining?

Started by Bisucas
    Views: 1119 Posts: 5

2005-03-29 7:53 PM mikericci

overtraining?

Started by wrybosome
    Views: 1010 Posts: 7

2004-01-21 8:00 AM owie
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 29, 2012
    author : juliapurr
    comments : 0
    I am having a difficulty getting my heart rate up on my last workout. Is this a sign of overtraining?

date : April 14, 2010
    author : AMSSM
    During the last few days I have noticed these symptoms: higher resting heart rate, increased stress and trouble sleeping. Am I overtraining?
    date : July 15, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    The article I read said that swimmer's shoulder can result from improper stroke, overtraining and one sided breathing. Do you have any comments on this and how to prevent?

date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
    date : January 16, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    In running, when trying to increase your distance, you don't want to add more than about 10% a week to avoid injury from overtraining. Is there a similar limit with swimming?

date : October 2, 2007
    author : sportfactory
    comments : 9
    Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.

date : May 16, 2005
    author : dara
    So how does this “overreaching” differ from over training? It is a matter of degree and incorporating ample rest and recovery and sensible training progressions.