User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Texas 70.3 in Galveston
2014-03-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
I saw this and first thought was, "there goes the swim portion". I don't know whether or not they consider that area as a sensitive area, and put out blocks to keep the oil from getting past the 45 overpass. Fingers crossed. I was thinking about how cold the water was going be, now I have something new to think about.
2014-03-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I saw this and first thought was, "there goes the swim portion". I don't know whether or not they consider that area as a sensitive area, and put out blocks to keep the oil from getting past the 45 overpass. Fingers crossed. I was thinking about how cold the water was going be, now I have something new to think about.

From insider knowledge, I'd say there is a 90% the swim in CANCELLED.
2014-03-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Fmode11

And I've heard the opposite. Not much we can do about it. It's still 2 weeks out so we'll just have to play the waiting game.

If they decide to cancel the swim I hope they annouce it before at least 1 day before the race. If swim is cancelled I have no desire for a duathlon and will stay home for a better training weekend.
2014-03-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by rbalazs

Originally posted by Fmode11

And I've heard the opposite. Not much we can do about it. It's still 2 weeks out so we'll just have to play the waiting game.

If they decide to cancel the swim I hope they annouce it before at least 1 day before the race. If swim is cancelled I have no desire for a duathlon and will stay home for a better training weekend.

Better odds for Mont Tremblant!

2014-03-24 10:43 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-03-25 1:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-03-31 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Posted in the Race Forum, but figured I would post hear for a Texan Discussion if you will!

Is anyone else shocked / disappointed in WTC for the lack of information they are putting out in reference to the Swim?

I am not sweating it one way or the other, I am ready for the swim, but will do the race even if the swim is cancelled. I just think that a little more communication in a situation like this one would be appropriate. I wonder if they know or believe it will be cancelled but are not saying so in order to ensure that Moody Gardens and other hotels don't lose reservations / Galveston loses dollars. (Scratching each others backs) If you don't think there will be a problem with having the swim then why not just say that as well. It could be something as simple as, Right now the oil does not seem to have affected Offats Bay and the swim is likely, but please understand that this could change with conditions. I just really don't understand why nothing is being said. Once again it does not matter to me one way or the other, but for some who are traveling, doing a first, using it as a training day, I could see this silence as being a problem for them.
2014-04-01 9:24 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

New user

Sugar Land, TX
Yea, I'm not shocked or disappointed but maybe uneasy is a better description. The last notice I saw from the race director was week before last where he stated that the situation is being monitored and that we'd be informed of any changes. I take him at his word, but yea, it would be more comforting if we at least got another update by now with the race being 5 days away. Even if he just said, "hey, the swim is still on." That would be enough. But then again, maybe that's uncertain, so he can't say it. ha ha...wait and see game...

Posted in the Race Forum, but figured I would post hear for a Texan Discussion if you will!

Is anyone else shocked / disappointed in WTC for the lack of information they are putting out in reference to the Swim?

I am not sweating it one way or the other, I am ready for the swim, but will do the race even if the swim is cancelled. I just think that a little more communication in a situation like this one would be appropriate. I wonder if they know or believe it will be cancelled but are not saying so in order to ensure that Moody Gardens and other hotels don't lose reservations / Galveston loses dollars. (Scratching each others backs) If you don't think there will be a problem with having the swim then why not just say that as well. It could be something as simple as, Right now the oil does not seem to have affected Offats Bay and the swim is likely, but please understand that this could change with conditions. I just really don't understand why nothing is being said. Once again it does not matter to me one way or the other, but for some who are traveling, doing a first, using it as a training day, I could see this silence as being a problem for them.
2014-04-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: salasman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just got email and everything is a go at this time! WooHoo

2014-04-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
Oil spill is definitely not a concern at this point. However, the weather is not looking so great - 70% chance of thunderstorms for the AM time frame. Granted it is Texas so the weather changes constantly!
2014-04-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: adkuch

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Yup.. Everybody say their prayers, cross your fingers, do the anti-storm dance or whatever it is that you do so that the weather doesn't cause major problems. This is my first IM branded event and got lucky enough to score a late room at Moody so I'm really excited about the whole deal! I just want it (the race) to happen....
2014-04-04 8:47 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

New user

Sugar Land, TX
This is my fourth Texas 70.3, and the last 3 were great weather days. So now you gotta bring the good weather! haha.

IM puts on a great event from start to finish. And, being at Moody for the entire event is really ideal. Transition is close; swim start is close; run course is all right there. Pretty cool! The forecast has changed just about every day, so it's all good! Sun and more sun...

Originally posted by toodamnbroke

Yup.. Everybody say their prayers, cross your fingers, do the anti-storm dance or whatever it is that you do so that the weather doesn't cause major problems. This is my first IM branded event and got lucky enough to score a late room at Moody so I'm really excited about the whole deal! I just want it (the race) to happen....
2014-04-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: salasman

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by salasman

This is my fourth Texas 70.3, and the last 3 were great weather days. So now you gotta bring the good weather! haha.

IM puts on a great event from start to finish. And, being at Moody for the entire event is really ideal. Transition is close; swim start is close; run course is all right there. Pretty cool! The forecast has changed just about every day, so it's all good! Sun and more sun...

I'll do my best!!!! I said my anti-storm prayers during my short run this morning.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Texas 70.3 in Galveston Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Have you done Galveston 70.3?

Started by goose1126
Views: 1993 Posts: 10

2012-08-30 11:08 AM bradleyd3

Galveston 70.3

Started by uhcoog
Views: 1652 Posts: 7

2012-08-24 10:01 AM djastroman

Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 1397 Posts: 6

2012-01-08 3:14 PM pistuo

Galveston 70.3 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ponyup
Views: 13397 Posts: 70

2012-04-02 11:50 AM djastroman

FYI- $199 Early Registration for Texas 70.3 & New Orleans 70.3

Started by spuphal
Views: 1673 Posts: 9

2011-06-17 12:14 PM bstauffer12
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.