General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 weeks rest before IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-02 4:20 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: 5 weeks rest before IM
I am 5 weeks away from my 2nd IM. I have had ankle injury problems on and off throughout my training over the last 3 months. Ive rested it then trained then rested. I am now in a position where I am thinking, I may as well start the event, can't get any refund now and see how I go. To make this even remotely possible I am going to have to rest the ankle between now and the race, no biking and running, just swimming.

I understand that on the day the odds will be stacked against me both physicaly and mentaly but I've got to have a go, don't I?

Anyone been in a similar position, what did you do, how did it go?

2013-08-02 7:32 AM
in reply to: Maxwelltri

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: 5 weeks rest before IM
exactly the same position! My last long run (16 miles) for my first IM was 6 weeks out last year. Feel free to look at my logs. 3 weeks prior to the race I jumped on the elliptical. I biked so much last year that it carried over to my run and I felt fine during the marathon until my ankle went out on me. My run training was horrible last year due to my ankle, but I've always had a strong run background. My ankle actually stopped bothering me in the race after 30 minutes and I was fine to finish. I had cortisone 2 weeks prior to the race as well. Don't think that really even helped. I knew I was going to try the race and do what I could after spending all the money and training time.

. PS... I had the same ankle reconstructed in November
2013-08-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

New user
Same position here, been swimming only the last 3 weeks. My ironman is in 3 weeks, and I'll likely be only swimming those as well. Let's go for it!!!
2013-08-02 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I had a foot injury in the months leading up to IMAZ last year and basically did zero run training.  I was able to swim just fine and bike more or less fine so I was in good shape there.  I had to rely on base endurance to get me through the run.

You could always aqua jog.  Not quite as good as actual running but even if it's 2/3 effective it's better than nothing.

2013-08-03 2:41 PM
in reply to: CCS_56_EX

User image

Regular
Originally posted by CCS_56_EX

Same position here, been swimming only the last 3 weeks. My ironman is in 3 weeks, and I'll likely be only swimming those as well. Let's go for it!!!

Good luck with it. I'd be real interested to know how you get on.
2013-08-27 5:42 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Maxwelltri

Originally posted by CCS_56_EX

Good luck with it. I'd be real interested to know how you get on.

Update - I did my Ironman on Sunday. It took about 4 hours longer than I originally planned, but relaxed and really enjoyed the day.

Training recap - I developed achilles tendonitis, in both legs, about 6 weeks before the Ironman. 2 weeks before the Ironman, I developed rotator cuff pain that prevented me from using the left arm while swimming. My only training the last 2 weeks before the race was walking and kicking with a kickboard. My longest run was 13.1 miles, 8 weeks before the race. Longest bike was 85 miles, 9 miles before the race. Prior to these injuries, I had been training SOLIDLY for 4 months. I also walked A LOT during the injuries.

Race day - I was still experiencing pain with my left achilles and left shoulder. I did the swim with one arm, and could only trot during the run. I was worried about being able to make the bike distance, because I missed all the 5-6+ hour bike rides that every one said were so crucial. The biking came right back to me, and I had no problem at all doing the 112. I'm sure I didn't go as fast as I could have, but I just really enjoyed it, especially when I saw the mileage hit 100.00 for my first century! Again, the run was a slow trot. I couldn't run or walk due to the longer stride, which fired up my achilles. So, I got to enjoy all the impact of a run, with the speed of a power walk. My feet, quads, and hips hurt a lot the last 6 miles. I had never done a marathon before, so I don't know how to compare it to a well-trained marathon.

Things I would do differently - I would have put MUCH more focus on maintaining my cardio fitness. The last 2 weeks were really bad, because I was hurt in all 3 disciplines. I was depressed, and didn't think I could make it, so I did very little training. For the speed, my heart rate was about 20 bpm faster than it should have been. Due to my injuries though, I couldn't go fast anyway, so my heart rate was still within target. Bike = 125 bpm, Run = 135 bpm.

How is your training/ankle doing?

2013-08-27 7:30 AM

User image

Regular
A very big well done to you.
Having completed one ironman and one open marathon, both with good training. I can vouch for how much they hurt towards the end, but I can only imagine what you were going through.
I said in my post race blog last year that i believe Ironman is 40% psyical and 60% mental strength and I think your race proves that point.
well done again. Some well earned recovery time now, yes?

Unlike you I am able to swim just fine and in the last week I have taken to the bike for some 1-2 hour rides, just to keep myself in condition and as you say, "keep on top of the cardio fitness". About a week ago I did a very easy 3 mile run at about 10 minutes a mile pace. If I can maintain that on race day I'll be more than happy.

I think the race will go ok untill the marathon. I have no real reason to think I wont make the bike split, but the lack of pre race fitness will show at some point during the marathon, then it will be a case of, which is stronger, my body or my will?

I'm worried that because I've done one before, my attitude may be, why am I doing this, I don't need to do this, I've done it once, sod it I quit!
I hope not, and I don't think thats me, but knowing the enormity of whats ahead, it's hard not to get a little depressed.
My wife is doing her best to tell me that I must be positive and I know she is right, I'm doing everything I can to make me feel like an Ironman, (shaved the legs yesterday) but I remember how much it hurt last year when I was in great shape.

It's a little over a week and a half untill my race, so I'll keep doing what I can and will take some confidence from your story. Thanks

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well done once again, you are my new inspiration.

2013-08-27 9:30 AM

User image

Congratulations that's AMAZING - now I hope you have some time to allow your body to recover and for your injuries to heal.

FWIW I have done a standalone marathon well trained and I don't think the marathon in the Ironman is remotely similar . As Maxwelltri says above the Ironman marathon is more of a mental game for the entire 26.2 miles!
2013-08-27 12:04 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

New user
That's really great that you're sticking with it and are doing what you can! This thread really helped me because I knew someone else out there was having similar problems/doubts. Which Ironman are you doing? Would you mind sharing your race number? I'd like to track your progress and cheer you on.
2013-08-27 11:14 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the accomplishment! Amazing what the human body can do when the mind pushes it a a bit.
2013-08-28 2:39 AM

User image

Regular
I am doing IM Wales. Sept 8th. Race number 1219.

I know what you mean, it's a huge help to know that it's not just you/me, and it's people like you that just go to show that it can be done under the most trying of circumstances.
I can't be certain of this but I suspect your just like me, just trying to get round and survive in as shorter time as possible. These injuries keep popping up to throw us of track.

Earlier in the summer I did an event and after, I received a T shirt, on the back it said, "Winners find a way, everyone else looks for an excuse."

You found a way my friend and I hope to do like wise.

2013-09-07 12:21 PM

User image

New user
Best of luck tomorrow! Have fun and get it done!!!
2013-09-08 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Maxwelltri, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!! Congrats!

How was the race?

Edited by CCS_56_EX 2013-09-08 2:56 PM
2013-09-09 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Get it done, that's exactly what I kept saying to myself.
Ok, from the begining. Now I know I had two arms to use in the swim so I wont pretend to make out that my swim was tough, but.
It was the toughest and most aggressive swim that I have ever taken part in. There never seemed to be any gaps whenever I brushed someones legs, they would kick furiously, this kept happening through out the swim. As we bottle necked at the first bouy there were so many swimmers that there was no room to swim, yet swimmers came from behind and tried to swim over and ended up pushing people under or clobbering some poor guy, fortunatly not me. My wack came later. We were just coming in to the end of the first lap and I caught someones elbow on my chin, twice. I had to check to see if I was bleeding. The second loop was a little better but all the fuss of the first loop had taken it's toll on my fitness, or lack of it. My arms were trobbing. Total swim time around 1.07. not bad considering.

The bike was fairly straight forward. I had a stratagy in order to save my legs for the marathon and I kept to it. No higher than 13th gear. If I found myself needing a bigger gear, I free wheeled and rested. Due to this stratagy i found the 112 miles as easy as you can expect 112 miles of Welsh countryside to be. Time, around 7.25.

The marathon. Now this is where the wheels nearly came off. I spent around 7 minutes in T2 getting myself together then began to walk to where my family were. After a quick catch up I began a slow jog. I have to be honest, this began to hurt almost straight away. The marathon is 4X 10k loops and as I pushed on with the first, my leg muscles hurt, my stomach was churning and I was finding it hard to catch any kind of breath, I could even feel the faint sighns of a stitch. My first thoughts were, there is no way I'm gonna make this, my fittness has been exhusted.
As I came towards the end of the first, I was feeling a little better and when I saw the family again it lifted me. "Never mind the time, just get the job done" I kept saying to myself. I had a bit of a second wind on the second lap and ran the entire 10k at a steady pace. I was even finding the breathing easier. 2 down, 2 to go. Get the job done. I walked quite a lot of the 3rd and 4th laps and actually thought that I wouldn't be able to run any more this night. What seemed to be lacking was muscular endurance. My knees were shot and I felt like I had broken every bone in my feet. I bought some new runners a few months ago and because of the injuries I was never able to run more than 2-3 miles in them. Note to self, must get cousioned insoles for my new runners. Feet still hurt now.

Miracles can happen and that last band that you slip on your arm indicating your last lap sure produced one. Once I got that band I was running better than i had all day. 5k to the finsh and mostly down hill. Eventually crossed the line in 13.47 after a 5 hour marathon which I have to be pleased with.

Fortunatly I think I still had a fair amount of base fitness due to the traing that I did before the injury, but that lack of late season preperation cerainly took its toll. Not ideal but as we've shown, if you put your mind to it and your driven. You can do it.

Thanks for your support. Whats next for you?
2013-09-10 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for the update, and nice job! I tracked nearly all of your race (you were already on the bike when I woke up). I guess I never think about it while racing, but it's crazy how long these things are. I watched a movie, you went a couple checkpoints. I had lunch with my parents, a couple checkpoints. Worked on my car, a couple more checkpoints. It just doesn't seem like that much time goes by when you're racing.

A 1:07 swim with traffic is pretty solid, if you ask me. It's funny you mentioned the broken foot bones, I thought that too. It felt like I could feel each individual bone in my feet, and every one of them felt broken. Nice job again!

I'm currently not training at all. I won't start again until I'm 100% healed. It's going to be a rough return! I did get lucky though, and got a spot for IM Chattanooga…not sure if you've been reading about that mess. I can't wait for it, and wish I was training now!

What about you? You're probably still really beat up from your race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 weeks rest before IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM training rest day

Started by DylanNickerson
Views: 1549 Posts: 10

2012-09-13 1:48 PM TriBoilermaker

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1380 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo

Half IM 5 weeks before IM?

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2005-10-24 8:58 AM oipolloi

End of IM training week 15

Started by madcow
Views: 1742 Posts: 13

2005-02-01 5:38 PM infosteward

End of IM training week 8!

Started by madcow
Views: 1827 Posts: 13

2004-12-13 10:52 PM fromer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is there Harm in Training Through Sciatic Pain at Rest?
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Of course there’s the logical answer - REST. But you don’t want to spend the off-season sitting on your butt for weeks at a time. Why?
date : May 16, 2005
author : dara
So how does this “overreaching” differ from over training? It is a matter of degree and incorporating ample rest and recovery and sensible training progressions.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.