General Discussion Race Reports! » Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chisago City, Minnesota
United States
Midwest Sports Events
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 148/522
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, with bags packed. Had a half bagel, banana and a bit of coffee then drove from Minneapolis.

Arrived at event at 5 am, found good parking and had plenty of time to setup and get settled in.

Event warmup:

Short swim, no run. It was chilly out without the wetsuit on. Throw away sandals were nice for having to stand in the cold sand for 20 minutes.
Swim
  • 41m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ended up in the last wave (still not sure how they assigned those) so I had a longer wait. Short warm up swim then had to stand around, full sleeve wetsuit was actually really comfortable for me. The air temp was about 20 degrees cooler than the water and would have been chilly standing around without it.

I was able to see the elites rounding the last point of the triangle course before my wave was staged, so that was something to have in the back of the mind. I figured just more people to pass...

Waded in and stayed to the outside at the start. I am just an average swimmer and didn't want to get caught in the group. The goal for me was to just finish the swim without over exerting myself needlessly.

Kept my head down and swam my pace the first 1/3, actually got out ahead of the majority of my wave it seemed, thought I must be going too fast but decided to just keep my own pace and not think about it.

Sighting was decent until about 1/2, then I caught myself off course a few times. On the last third I kept my head down too long without sighting and was a good distance to the outside. Lesson learned.

Swam all the way to knee deep water and exited decently.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting more fluidly. Some more speed work would really help, but after my Olympic I just wanted to finish the swim without being a mess mentally and physically. Accomplished that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

slower jog up the beach and the grassy hill, it was quite wet by the time I was passing through.

Took time to put a calf sleeve on the leg that had been bothering me and some extra lube on the feet. Shoes on and jogged out.

I took the extra time to make sure the feet would be ok from blister and socks. First 70.3 so I didn't want to take chances. I probably could have skipped that but the time was worth it.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I was passing a lot of the sprinters through the shared part of the course, due to starting in the last wave of the swim. Felt good to pass people but was frustrating having to cross some of the "wake-up" bumps on the road when they were two wide and taking up the shoulder. Argh.

I wanted to pace in the 20-21 mph range and was averaging a bit more than that through the rolling hills, was making steady pace past a good amount of half riders and not passed my many.
Until the 25 mile or so. Lower GI cramping resulted having to pit stop at the last water stop to use the facilities. Had to wait my turn and it hurt to see people I had to pass going by.

Wind picked up towards the end but I just got low and pedaled on. Noticed my feet a bit numb around the 50 mile mark when I really started to think about the run. worked on flexing the toes a lot and loosened the straps a tiny bit. That helped my feet get ready for the run.

Still not sure what caused the need for the stop, I used no new food or hydration that I had not practiced with in training. Because of that, I really wasn't able to get all the hydration down that I wanted. Might try a different liquid nutrition the next training cycle, not sure yet.

Some toe covers are also on the list, days like today would have been nice to have that option.

I was disappointed in leaving time out on the course, I could have been right where I hoped to be but still managed an average showing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Kept my bike shoes on for the dismount, i didn't want muddy socks for the run was my thought. Grabbed a couple GU, race belt on while running out and I was off.
Run
  • 1h 43m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out feeling well. Running is usually my most comfortable event.
I wanted to stay in the 7:45-8:00 range for the first few miles then see how I was feeling. Goal was a 1:40 run at least. I caught myself running along fine at 7:30 and tried to force myself to back off.

Stayed on pace through 5.5mi then hydration issue from the bike stated to catch up to me. I was feeling the need for way more fluids then I normally need in running races and didn't want to overdo it at any one station and cramp up.
Reevaluated and decided to walk/jog the water stations as needed to compose myself then run between them. This worked even though my time was hurt from having to slow down through the stations. But I didn't walk out between the stations so I was happy with that.

Half mile out ran with a couple other people and pushed each other to a strong finish.
Up that final hill in the park and we ended up on the wrong side of the yellow dividing tape. Nothing like a low squat in that last stretch. Really though, nothing was going to slow me down or stop me at that point.

Not enough hydration on the bike was my downfall. Trying to make up for that on the run was difficult without cramping. Otherwise I probably would have hit my goal time, still was in my range though.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around to stretch the legs a bit then got in line for quick massage on the calf which really helped. Grabbed some food which was awesome. I felt spoiled with those offerings

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough experience in the water, I need more time at that and include some speed work not just covering the distances. Figure out the hydration/nutrition issues I had on the bike.

Event comments:

For my first 70.3 and only my third triathlon overall in the first year of doing these, I was very happy with my results. Definitely have areas to work on but that just serves as inspiration during workouts. Sights set on future races.

Last updated: 2013-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/50
Overall: 264/522
Performance: Average
Suit: Full sleeves
Course: clockwise triangle, needed more buoys on the far side segment.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:34 | 56 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/50
Overall: 177/522
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:43:46 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/50
Overall: 131/522
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. a few turns through some residential then out on a country road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-04 8:19 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2013-08-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4820601

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course
nice race! your first 70.3 in your first year of tris and your third race overall. that was a very balanced performance.

good job.
2013-08-04 9:05 PM

User image

New user
As a first year Triathlete who wants to jump to longer races, I applaud your efforts and must say, great race! I am planning my first 70.3 next year and I think Chisago offers a great experience. I sure enjoyed the sprint!
2013-08-04 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
2013-08-09 6:23 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

New user
Thanks everyone! Chisago did not disappoint for a great first 70.3 race. Now on to the next race.
2013-08-23 4:40 PM
in reply to: WeThereYet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
I agree, a great 1st 70.3! Very balanced. For sure your bike and run times will improve as you get more experience and learn how to pace properly. Too bad about the GI issues on the bike but still a great time. Congrats!

2013-08-24 7:04 PM
in reply to: WeThereYet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
I agree, a great 1st 70.3! Very balanced. For sure your bike and run times will improve as you get more experience and learn how to pace properly. Too bad about the GI issues on the bike but still a great time. Congrats!
2013-12-11 9:46 AM
in reply to: mjewen

User image

Great race! Sounds like you managed things fairly well. I am planning on doing this race in the 2014 season. Would you recommend it? Way to go!
2014-01-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

I started a thread for the 2014 race on July 27. If anyone plans to race please join in the fun!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chisago Lakes Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 2056 Posts: 7

2012-07-26 8:56 AM Musicodm

Started by MUL98
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2012-07-24 7:59 AM silentcs42

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 1495 Posts: 3

2012-07-23 11:17 AM silentcs42

Started by chris2533
Views: 2026 Posts: 7

2012-07-23 11:21 AM silentcs42

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1346 Posts: 4

2012-07-23 9:39 AM MUL98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.