General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Logan International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canton, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 49s
Overall Rank = 27/165
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/41
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 4 Hotel breakfast shower, ESPN, fluids, pack, double check, 30 minute drive to race site. Arrive at 5:30
Event warmup:

Chips and body marking under the lights on the tennis courts. Snack and some fluids. Set up transition under the lights, wetsuit on and pre-swim at 6:30. Man the water is COLD.
Swim
  • 23m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 23m 44s / 1500 meters
Comments:

WARM UP!!! I did but if your reading this WARM UP!!! The water is COLD-67 in August and once you get near the bridge it drops another 10 degrees or more! This was a great swim and a great venue. The scenery is amazing!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, ok maybe push harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

For those that have read my reports = T<1:00. Well floating dock run across street, along transition, enter the back and then go...I'm happy with 2:02. Wetsuit came off relatively fast and helmet clipped quickly.

Run faster.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 42s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.23 km/hr
Comments:

Ok so here's the deal. Fist hill out, Im good and downing the hill I kinda brake just to be cautions-DONT let her rip. Rolling out for miles 3-17 are totally fun and easy JAM JAm JAM. After the school section (4-5 turns) you kinda leave town and do a left turn then a RIGHT turn. The left you can do with a lot of speed, I DID. so I carried a lot into the right turn-bad move. I was making the turn with a guy and got into a flood washout of dirt and gravel. Front wheel bounced then kicked right I went left. I wrecked, someone says it was going onto RT 17.. Ugh. Quickly got up, checked out the bike and only thought of my PR. I had already killed the swim for me and was doing great. TOTALLY MY FAULT. I could have dropped in, I later learned they guy even called clear in case I wanted to jump over. So from mile 17-20 I got it back together and hammered it to T2. this course is a RIP IT course, except for the "turny" sections of the school and out of town.

Not fall
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

10K so that means socks. They went on quick. Gum check, visor check, race belt check-gone in 1:00.

Grab and go, I kinda put stuff on IN transition, don't know why I usually don't.
Run
  • 43m 23s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I read reports and expected the uphill climb, it was slightly more than I expected but nothing too challenging. The downhill wasn't as much as I hoped, Guess I was sore for the fall. I took water at the turnaround and that was it, good amount for me.

Push harder, I was conservative. Pacing to not cramp or blow up and lose the PR. I shoulda just let it fly on THIS day, how much worse could it get/be I already wrecked and it gave me a good excuse as to why I didn't get it if I don't. ah well I gotta look in the mirror. PR achieved at the finish, not as BIG as I wanted but a PR considering nonetheless.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, jump back in the lake. NumB the wounds, then visit MEDIC. Hydrogen peroxide sucks. Ive counted 6 areas affected. Basically I have rash wings.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wreck

Event comments:

I was disappointed in packet pickup (2 volunteers and a line out the door). Helmet stickers, race bib, and bike number (weird only half was sticky taped). Hammer gel apple cinnamon and huckleberry offered. Race morning was fully staffed but if you didn't buy a chip bracelet at packet pickup you had to use your own or use the PLASTIC clip on (skin cutting) ones provided. Body marking was quick. Transition was LACKING! Getting into transition was a free for all. There was no national anthem. The event started on time. There were many kayaks on the water. 2 people assisting on the dock. No bottle exchange-noted in the race packet. Water stations were great. Post race there was a medic, there were helpers and the food was good. Sandwiches, chips, cookies, water, colas, pita bread, hummus, bean salad. Properformance hydration was there handing out samples (many bottles of cold drinks in 6 flavors). YOU COULD HAVE TAKEN ANY BIKE OUT OF TRANSITION YOU WANTED. NO-ONE CHECKING NUMBERS. But they sure announced that you couldn't take anything out until 10:30 (no policing that either) Prelim results went up fast and results were online BEFORE I got home (<2 hours). T shirts were short sleeve recycled materials, grey with logo and date, very nice. BEAUTIFUL race sight, I will be back!

Last updated: 2013-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:44 | 1500 meters | 23m 44s / 1500meters
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/165
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S3 Full
Course: Clockwise "rectangle" with the long swim on the way back. Boat dock start with 2 turns finish just after swimming under the bridge on the floating dock on the left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:42 | 40 kms | 35.23 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop ISH. Many long sections, rolling flats with 2 hills. Ok the same hill miles 1-3 and 22-24.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:23 | 10 kms | 04m 22s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Out and Back. 3 miles uphill (~3%) and same 3 miles downhill. Paperwork says stay to left or DQ, well signs and directors were screaming Right Right Right.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-04 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lake Logan International Triathlon

2013-08-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4820815

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Logan International Triathlon
Looking back at the map it was the very quick right onto Lake logan road (SR-1111). And how long does a wreck take? I missed the podium by 4 minutes...Wonder how close I came to a broken bike, collarbone, leg ankle, etc...
Cheap souvenirs and a long lasting lesson is what I took home instead. My rash wings remind me that I was being watched.
2013-08-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

Regular
Sorry to hear about your wreck. Sounds like the same corner I took too fast. It was after a school > left hand > then right hand turn. I went way wide on the RH and almost had a head-on with a truck coming up to the intersection. Glad you weren't hurt too bad. See you at the awards next year!!
2013-08-05 8:41 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Veteran
Yup same indeed. Thanks and see you there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Logan International Triathlon

Started by jmkizer
Views: 2394 Posts: 7

2010-08-17 10:07 AM jmkizer

Started by slickwilli2121
Views: 1624 Posts: 1

2009-08-03 11:11 AM slickwilli2121

Started by emitch1
Views: 1521 Posts: 1

2009-08-03 8:37 AM emitch1

Started by wendy456
Views: 1439 Posts: 1

2009-08-02 8:32 PM wendy456

Started by gtkelly
Views: 1403 Posts: 2

2009-08-03 11:36 AM BBDope
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.