General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports LLC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 52s
Overall Rank = 5/96
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile an hour before the race to get heart rate up. No opportunity to do swim warm-up.
Swim
  • 17m 25s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Course had to be changed last minute due to a Coast Guard incident. Because of this, it was extremely short. Due to the deep water start, there was a lot of traffic at the beginning and I could not get into any kind of rhythm until after going around the 2 sprint buoys. Then I was able to draft a little bit.
What would you do differently?:

Swim is still a major weakness. I am seeing faster times in the pool, but it is not translating to open water. Need to spend more time training in open water instead of the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

9th overall
Bike
  • 1h 05m 52s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Strong north winds meant cross winds the entire ride. Always climbing or descending on this course and the road way is very rough. This is where the power meter is so helpful. Just stuck with my watt targets while going up as well as going down so that I didn't burn out my quads.
Aside from the roughness, it was a fun ride though with a huge variance in speeds. Would crest a hill going 13 mph to immediately be 30 mph+ on the descent. Then, turn-around and do it again.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

5th overall
Run
  • 39m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great the entire run for once. Because of the single wave start and all of the turn-arounds, could tell I was in 7th place to start the run. 5th and 6th were very close to each other about 2 minutes ahead of me and then there was a big gap to 4th place. At about mile 3, I passed both the 6th and 5th place guys and then tried to pick up the pace a bit to make sure they didn't pass me back. After that, I knew I would not be able to catch 4th place, so just settled into a steady pace to finish the run.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, poor swim.

Event comments:

Overall, I like this race. It will be interesting to see what happens to the bike course as the shoreway is already very rough and will only get worse unless the city re-paves it. Food could have been better (just fruit and bagels), but no big deal.
I have done the Greater Cleveland Tri the last 3 years. This was my first time at the Cleveland Tri. I like the course better at the downtown race (riding and running through the city's landmarks as well as the protected swim in the harbor). However, the GCT has the advantage of easier logistics (don't have to pick up race packet day before, parking is right next to transition, etc.). I also like the GCT post race activities better. Overall, it is hard to justify paying 2 times as much for the downtown race versus GCT. It will be a tough decision as to which race to choose next year. I wish these two race directors would just agree to disagree and then not schedule for the same day every year. I would think they would both benefit from that decision.

Last updated: 2013-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:25 | 1500 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 24/96
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:52 | 24 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 7/96
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 3 loops going east/west on the shoreway.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:30 | 06.2 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 3/96
Course: 2 loops on the shoreway. Then run around Browns stadium and the Rock Hall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 12:58 PM

User image

Olmsted Twp, OH
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-08-05 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4821503

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course
Congrats again, Dan!  You absolutely smoked this course.  I knew that you'd beat me, but I didn't expect you to crush me like you did. I thought that we'd have been a little closer on the bike

It was great to meet you and put a face to the name, finally.  Outstanding race, and congrats again on the podium and Top 5 OA! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by smuskopf
Views: 794 Posts: 1

2013-06-01 6:10 PM smuskopf

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by sungirl919
Views: 1257 Posts: 1

2012-08-09 8:46 PM sungirl919

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1074 Posts: 1

2012-08-09 10:24 AM Tkimble01

Started by scottmoss
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2012-08-07 12:39 PM scottmoss

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by KCoates
Views: 1129 Posts: 1

2007-08-06 12:01 PM KCoates
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.