Event Power
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 458/490
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Carb dinner night before race. In bed by 10:00 pm up at 4:20 am. Ate egg sandwich at home, 45 minute drive to site.
Event warmup:

Stretching, walking, check out water temp, ate two Cliff energy blocks prior to swim,
Swim
  • 12m 25s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was perfect for the swm. There awas a current pulling to the west. The first couple of groups were pulled to the left of the first two bouys. Started far to the right to not get caught in the current.
What would you do differently?:

MORE OPEN WATER TRAINING! Breathing in the open water is harder than in a pool.
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

I should have practiced the transition more. I had to take time to think about what I was doing. Put on helmet before shirt and took a long time drying my feet. Had some trouble putting the HR monitor on. Overall it wasn't a horrible T1 considering it was the first one I've ever done.

I would have jogged to the bike instead of walking. I would have skipped the mesh shorts over the tri-shorts. I probably need tofind a good tri-suit. Swim with the HR monitor on. I think it would have been faster to sit down and dry my feet and put my shoes on. I could have waited until I was on the bike course to eat the energy gels and drink water.
Bike
  • 36m 43s
  • 16 kms
  • 26.23 km/hr
Comments:

This was an pretty easy course on a great day. Very little wind, some minor pot holes, steel grate on bridge to be careful with. Since it was an out ad back course it was a little frustrating to see the leaders coming back to the bike finish as I was just getting started. Overall a good ride. I think I could have gone harder.

Push a little harder and allow my heart rate to be in the high 150's for more of the ride and dialed it back some at the finish to lower my heart rate for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This transition was pretty good.

Have my hat closer at hand and drink some water at the end of the ride or grab it on the way out of the transition area to save some time.
Run
  • 34m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the run. Was able to go the full run without sstopping to walk. HR was between 155 and 164, it went to 164 when doing the climb both ways on the bridge. Had plenty of energy to kick at the finish. I probably could have gone a little harder on the run.

I would scope out the finish line before the race. It was a blind corner coming to the finish. Had I known how close it was I would have kicked it up a notch earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little to warm down. Had a bottle of water and a piece of watermelon. Followed that with the complimentary beer provided to all athletes by the Beach Hut.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough open water swim practice. I held myself back more than I needed to trying to save energy for the run.

Event comments:

This was a great race and was very well run. I will definitely do it again next year.

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:25 | 500 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 430/490
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit, tri-shorts with mesh shorts over
Course: Horsehoe course around 4 bouys. Started on east side of pier and finished on west side or pier in the bay at Smith Point Park.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:43 | 16 kms | 26.23 km/hr
Overall: 422/490
Performance: Average
HR was between 145 and 158 for the entire ride.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat out and back course on William Floyd Parkway. Overall it was a pretty easy course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:54 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Overall: 462/490
Performance: Average
HR was between 155 and 164 for the entire run leading up to the finish. Finished at 170 after kicking it to the finish line.
Course: Flat out and back course over the bridge to William Floyd Parkway. Had some grass areas to run on for less impact. Turn down side street for water stop at half way point. Took tunnel under roadway to finish on beach side by TWA Flight 800 Memorial.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 2:00 PM

User image

New user

Long Island
Subject: Smith Point Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Smith Point Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Smith Point Triathlon

Started by NiGhtt
Views: 863 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 10:45 PM NiGhtt

Smith Point Triathlon

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1155 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 9:14 PM evb4mvp

Smith Point Triathlon

Started by artiwhit20
Views: 760 Posts: 1

2011-04-17 6:32 PM artiwhit20

Smith Point Triathlon

Started by Luby162
Views: 1300 Posts: 1

2011-03-23 3:47 PM Luby162

Smith Point Triathlon

Started by Ddaniels
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2010-08-08 11:59 AM Ddaniels
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.