General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled hamstring and race tomorrow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-10 8:56 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Pulled hamstring and race tomorrow
Hi all, just a quick question. I pulled something in my hamstring about a week ago in the back of my leg and I shut down my training in hopes that I could still do my race tomorrow. Its only a sprint, so the distance is short, but the intensity will be high. I still feel it just a bit, nothing major but I haven't done any training in about a week. Would it be a good idea to just do a light jog tonight, maybe a mile or so, just to see how it reacts, or do you think I should just go out tomorrow blind and play it by ear. Also, I am not a person that stretches........ever. I know thats probably not a good thing, but I just don't do it. Would i do more harm to it tonight by doing some stretching? Thanks in advance

2013-08-10 3:22 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Pulled hamstring and race tomorrow
I read an article the other day. They said if you can walk normally within 24 hours of the hamstring sprain it's probably mild.

They said the biggest risk was the speed and intensity with which you start out. They didn't think that stretching really helped. They also felt that running slightly bent forward at your hips would irritate the muscle more.

So, gentle start in an upright position and as you speed up pay close attention to what your hamstring is telling you.

Good luck. I pulled a hamstring at a midnight fun run on a Friday and then did a Tri on Sunday morning. Not my best running time, but I finished.
2013-08-10 3:49 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Pulled hamstring and race tomorrow
I certainly wouldn't go straight into a race tomorrow if you haven't tested it in training. I can only say what I would do and that would be to try a run tonight.

The last thing you want to do is make it worse and have to take weeks off - there will always be more races if you can't make it for tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled hamstring and race tomorrow Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pulled hamstring before HIM...

Started by tkolesza
Views: 1253 Posts: 5

2012-10-03 9:15 AM tkos

Pulled hamstring??

Started by gti123
Views: 1569 Posts: 7

2010-03-07 7:40 PM crazyquick23

hamstring pull

Started by SpiritFire
Views: 1257 Posts: 8

2008-10-08 12:20 PM Beafly

What does pulled hamstring feel like?

Started by chevy57
Views: 27915 Posts: 14

2008-08-26 3:09 PM chevy57

pulled hamstring -- advice?

Started by madeye
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2005-05-20 12:41 PM Dr Hammer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I have been having a right hamstring issue over the last four weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I just pulled it pretty good but would like some advice. How long does it take for it to completely heal?
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.
date : April 23, 2009
Use this tutorial anytime you see a 'pull' workout indicating paddles. Use a pull buoy too.

date : April 11, 2007
comments : 1
This is a “hip-butt” injury, which describes the location of the insertion of the hamstring tendon at the base of the pelvis on the ischial tuberosity very well. They are difficult to treat.
date : October 1, 2006
This injury commonly occurs during what is called the recovery phase and/or the take-off phase of running. Hamstring strains range from mild, grade I, to a more severe, grade III.

date : June 18, 2006
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video