General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 45s
Overall Rank = 32/129
Age Group = 50-59M
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

Relaxed drive to the venue. Weather was perfect. Slept well. No aches or pains and I'm feeling good. Looking forward to a hard effort at this distance-my second attempt.

Got there very early and had primo spot for parking the car and picked my best spot for transition. Got a rack on the left, third rack-on the end-easy to see and right in line with everything. A good omen.

Slathered in PAM, grabbed my goggles, a cough drop and my swim cap. Had earplugs in for the last 10 minutes to keep the noise out and help me focus.
Event warmup:

I swam for 3 minutes just to make sure the wetsuit was not too constricting.
Swim
  • 32m 20s
  • 1609 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have struggled in almost every swim portion of triathlon, except the one race that I wasn't racing...so I tried to stay very relaxed and not push the pace at all, until the 1/2 way point and this worked perfectly. I am certain that I negative split the out/back and was quite comfortable the entire time.

I had a little contact, but not much, taking an outside line. Kicked once, pretty hard and drank a mouthful, but after the coughing fit I was ok.

Overall-success!
What would you do differently?:

Bottle it up so I could use this strategy again and again. It was perfect, even though it wasn't fast. I felt in control the entire time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I was flying! I was a bit dizzy coming out of the water and was mantra-ing my job. 'take off cap, take off goggles...'. It felt like I was on autopilot.
Sat, put shoes on, grabbed my bike and off I ran. And I mean, I RAN.

My T1 time was 3-AG and 18-OA. I passed a bunch of people early and late.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 1s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to pace myself on the bike. Took lap 1 moderate, spun the hills, didn't get up out of the saddle and didn't burn any matches. Flew down the big hill and hit 45mph. Lap 2, I tried to push the pace a bit, but it cost me. I still spun all the hills, and used my small chain ring for the big hills again, but I pushed much harder on the flats. Lap 3, I felt tired and knew it was coming apart so I let go a bit. Felt some cramps from the intensity of pace and backed off even more. Lap 4 was 'go time' and I was planning on leaving it all out on the course. I got up out of the saddle and pushed as much as I could on the hill, but that hurt too much and I sat back down-ha! Gave my max and felt like I was right on the edge...

Probably wait until the final lap before pushing the pace at all.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Had foot unclipped and came right down to the dismount line and started running-fast. Once again, I was flying! These were my best transitions-ever.

I passed a couple people heading to the timing mat and my stuff was whipped everywhere. Shoes off, pull running shoes on. No socks, for the second time-ever. Sunglasses off, ran with belt/bib and put it on while running out of T2.

I was 2nd in my AG and 12th OA.

Nothing.
Run
  • 48m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired and breathing hard from running with the bike and trying to hold a very fast pace/HR. My legs were a little jellylike for the first mile, then I could open up my stride a bit. Felt better after eating some sports beans during the second mile and drinking a bit of water.

Held HR at goal 145 on the first lap and tried to push the pace to see what I could do. Ironic that the time was barely faster but I was working considerably harder-especially at the end.

Passed about 50M from the finish by a kid and I had to kick it up 2 notches to beat him by a fraction of a second. We tied, officially, but I crossed first and was listed ahead of him in the results.

http://www.plattsys.com/m1shell.asp?eventid=1024

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed and sipped some water. Felt a bit nauseous for about 5-10 minutes. I do not remember them taking my chip off. Sat on the ground and talked to my son and his girlfriend but I don't remember much of what was said.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. That was 101% effort and was all I had. I executed the race the best I ever have.

The swim was on goal and I did not wig out or use up energy inappropriately.
I was the fastest through the transitions-ever.
Pushed on the bike and felt I left it all out on the course both there and on the run.

Event comments:

I love the venue as the lake is inviting and the people are pretty nice, for the most part. The course isn't super hard, like Quassy, and there has to be some courses that are faster, right?

It's not too far and everything is well run. Highly recommended!

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:20 | 1609 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 62/129
Performance: Good
av HR stayed steady- out HR=138 time 17:16? back HR=136 time 15:04? these times dont' really match my watch...
Suit: Blue 70 Sleeveless
Course: kind of a long rectangle; counter clockwise -straight out past the first duck and 2 more yellow buoys in a straight line along the right side of the lake, out and across the lake past the middle orange buoy (where I clicked my watch), keep going to the other side of the lake and turn at the yellow buoy and back past the second duck into shore minimal sunglare, fairly clear lake-no chop. I was talking to a guy with a Garmin 910 who thought the swim was 1.1 Miles.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:01 | 25 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 36/129
Loop 1=18:36 HR=150 Loop 2=18:24 HR=150 Loop 3=19:32 HR=149 Loop 4=18:52 HR=148 last 2 are a bit of a guess, as I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch as I was waving to the kids.
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops of ~6 miles along the lake then a loop out and back along the far entrance to the park. Mile 0-1-flat Mile 1-2-up about 80 feet Mile 2.0-2.5-screaming down (I hit 45MPH) Mile 2.5-3.5-long grind up-around 300 feet Mile 3.5-6.2-slightly down with a bunch of turns I think the bike course was closer to 24 miles than 25.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:26 | 06.2 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 19/129
2 laps around the lake. First lap is exactly the same as the sprint tri series, but after the first lap, you stay straight and take the turn onto the road leading to Blish Park. first loop 24:19 HR=145 second loop 24:07 HR=148 about as close to even splits as I can get
Course: First 1/3 mile is a small uphill, with another little hill at ~1.5 after you go down and turn left-then right. Fairly flat course otherwise. I think it is closer to 6.0 miles, not 6.2.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-10 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon

2013-08-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4825894

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon
Nice job today!
2013-08-13 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4825894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon
Awesome Job!!!!! man you were indeed flying all that training sure paid off. Great Job
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramungus Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by sunking
Views: 1354 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 12:10 PM sunking

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by karlrmueller
Views: 1302 Posts: 1

2006-06-12 6:04 PM karlrmueller

Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by DB8
Views: 2718 Posts: 7

2006-06-06 7:21 AM BeCivil

Lake Terramungus Sprint Triathlon Series

Started by Hudnick
Views: 2392 Posts: 5

2005-08-12 11:48 AM cdf26.2

Lake Terramungus Sprint Triathlon Series

Started by Hudnick
Views: 2891 Posts: 3

2005-07-29 7:56 AM Stone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.