General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Brakes Close but Don't Open (Video) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-11 3:49 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Rear Brakes Close but Don't Open (Video)

On my 2011 Fuji Newest 2.0, the rear brakes have been shifting over for the past few months and rubbing.  Whenever it happens I just shift it with my hand and try to tighten the allen key bolt behind the fork when it's back in place.  Recently, however, it's been happening a lot.  Now they also close but don't open back to the normal width again.

I've tried everything from adjusting the bolt behind the fork, using a wrench to get the one behind the brake, and adjusting the cable.  I don't know what to do and need it fixed quickly because of a race on Saturday.

Here's a video so you can see:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ueivsg&s=5

Shows the brakes separated by hand, then using the brake, then showing it close to rim and not shifting back until by hand.

2013-08-11 4:42 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

OKC
Subject: RE: Rear Brakes Close but Don't Open (Video)
Could be 1 of two things.... Most likely you need to clean and oil your cable. It is strange that it does not open back up at all so it could be your spring needs to be replaced. I would start off with cleaning and oiling your cable though.
2013-08-11 4:50 PM
in reply to: clrv

User image

Delco, PA
Originally posted by clrvCould be 1 of two things.... Most likely you need to clean and oil your cable. It is strange that it does not open back up at all so it could be your spring needs to be replaced. I would start off with cleaning and oiling your cable though.
Also tried that. Still to no avail.
2013-08-11 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4826314

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
What state is the cable casing in? Is there any chance that grit and dirt could have worked it's way up and is now preventing the cable from moving correctly?

I have had this problem before with a rear brake and ended up replacing it in the end as I was unable to find a solution.
2013-08-11 5:26 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Delco, PA
Originally posted by tridantriWhat state is the cable casing in? Is there any chance that grit and dirt could have worked it's way up and is now preventing the cable from moving correctly?I have had this problem before with a rear brake and ended up replacing it in the end as I was unable to find a solution.
About a month ago I wiped down the cable and wiped it with a rag, in case this was the problem.
2013-08-11 9:34 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
The video eliminated one of my questions, but does not eliminate any possible root causes. Lossen the bolt holding the cable to the calipers. pinch the calipers closed by hand. If they stick, then the problem is in the caliper. Also pull the cable by hand at the caliper end. With the other hand, grip the brake lever on the handlebar. If you feel the cable catch, then the cable could need replacing, or the cable housing could need a thorough cleaning with a few blasts of WD-40. Even a brand new cable could be a problem if any strands unraveled in the cable housing.

2013-08-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Delco, PA

Brought it into the LBS today and it was a combination of both the cable housing needing a cleaning and a faulty spring.  They took care of both.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Brakes Close but Don't Open (Video) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rear brake mounting screw torque?

Started by coreyasaur
Views: 577 Posts: 3

2010-03-20 9:42 AM coreyasaur

Rear brake lever sticking- any advice?

Started by louiskie
Views: 548 Posts: 3

2009-07-14 2:06 PM gearboy

Rear brakes

Started by jart0806
Views: 718 Posts: 6

2008-09-23 9:17 AM jart0806

rear bottle cages that don't launch bottles

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1217 Posts: 10

2008-09-04 8:34 AM clightle

Squeaky rear brake

Started by derekh25
Views: 798 Posts: 7

2005-08-06 6:12 PM Jambo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.