Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Largest Triathlon Community in Canada Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-12 10:52 AM

Subject: Largest Triathlon Community in Canada
Hi Everyone -

This is a very random but important question - which city in Canada has the most active fit people? More so, which city in Canada has the largest triathlon community?

I ask because I'm moving to Singapore in a couple months and soon after about a year, I may end up in Canada to run a business. I have the freedom to pick the city I want to live in and I want to pick the city with the most fit and active people.

I live in DC right now and according to Forbes, DC is the ranked the #1 fittest city in America. Although surprising, if you live in DC you get spoiled by just how fit people are. It's a small tight growing community and I simply love it.

Also, DC doesn't accrue much snow. I heard that Toronto's weather conditions are horrid. I can see Vancouver and Victoria having little to no snow.

According to MSN

Thoughts everyone?

2013-08-19 11:19 PM
in reply to: piyushdabomb

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Largest Triathlon Community in Canada
Running away from all the gunfire keep many fit in DC.

I'd say the North Shore Triathlon Club is the best in Canada.
2013-08-21 2:30 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Having never lived anywhere else in Canada, take my response for what it's worth. I would guess Vancouver/Lower Mainland or maybe Victoria/Vancouver Island. It's pretty well known joke that Vancouverites don't stay up late to party because we've all got to get up early for our morning workouts.

You could probably search the users in BT and see where the largest concentration in Canada is from. Or which Canadian forum is the most active.

2013-08-21 3:06 PM

User image

Based on my experience of living in Vancouver BC, Toronto ON, Chicoutimi QC, & Hornby Island BC, and just by visiting and speaking to people from the rest of Canada, I Would definitely say Vancouver is the most active and "outdoorsy" city in Canada.

Maybe not for tri's (I just don't know) but just for being active and spending time outdoors, definitely.

Also Vancouver on average gets less snow than DC, and what we do gets is gone quicker than DC as well. It frequently won't even stick on the ground at all, so even though it technically snows it is too warm for there to be any snow on the ground at all (on average there is only 4 days a year that don't have highs above freezing). This makes Vancouver ideal for runners as you can train year round (as long as you don't mind rain, which we get a lot of in the fall).
2013-08-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I actually don't think I had to cancel any rides last year due to snow. Usually, I think there is only a couple of days a year that I don't ride due to snow.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Largest Triathlon Community in Canada Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Canada Day Challenge - Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Started by AndrewYak
Views: 1730 Posts: 11

2009-06-08 10:01 PM hazmaster

Ironman Canada 2008 Training Plan

Started by ITan
Views: 765 Posts: 2

2008-04-08 9:50 AM hazmaster

Anyone volunteered at IM Canada?

Started by Princess_Megz
Views: 824 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 3:48 PM jeng

trans canada cyclists

Started by c2fd
Views: 1052 Posts: 3

2006-10-01 5:22 PM Crazypop

Ironman Canada

Started by krgregg
Views: 2789 Posts: 9

2006-08-24 9:10 AM BellinghamSpence
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.