Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bruce Peninsula Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-13 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Bruce Peninsula
We are going to visit the area in early September. We'll be staying very close to the Bruce Peninsula National Park.

Any good mtb riding or road rides?

How is the weather in early September?

2013-08-14 6:35 AM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Bruce Peninsula
Guy you are going to one of the most beautiful areas of Ontario imo. You have the Bruce Nat. Park there, lots of trails. I havn't been up there for a a while but it wont take you long to find good riding. c

As an aside, if you get a chance to goto Tobermory its worth the trip. Has the second largest concentration of sunken ships in North America I believe is the claim to fame. Great SCUBA diving.

September is cooler. Its not freezing yet, but definitely cooler. +6 cel. to +17 cel. there abouts. Its been a cooler summer so plan for temperatures in the single digits by mid sept. (Celsius..not Fahrenheit)

If your willing to make a little trek...Lakeside Triathlon is Sept. 14th......last one in Ontario for the season...

2013-08-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Are mountain bikes allowed on trails in Canadian national parks?

They are not allowed in US national parks. I could not find any mention on the Bruce Peninsula National Park website.

17 degrees for the high? That'll be a nice break from the temps here were the low overnight is still around 24 degrees.

Someone in our group is bringing a canoe. I hope to canoe out to a couple of ship wrecks.
2013-08-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Bikes are typically allowed in Canadian National Parks.
Tons of trails and loads of opportunities for road rides.
Check mapmyride or Strava for road routes.

The weather should be perfect - cool evenings with pleasant days between 15C and 25C. At the start of September the nights are nice (low teens) and nearthe end of Semptember they get cooler (single digits)
The lake water will still be warm enough to be swimmable without a wetsuit... kind of...

There are some very good races in that time frame:
- Wasaga Beach Triathlon weekend is Sept 7, 8 (1hr drive) ( http://www.multisportcanada.com/tri/)
- Muskoka IM70.3 is Sept 8 (about 3hrs drive)
- Lakeside Traithlon weekend is Sept 14,15 (2.5hr drive)

the mosquitoes won't be as bad by then but bring some mosquito spray if you're camping.

Edited by mgalanter 2013-08-14 3:23 PM
2013-08-19 12:47 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: Bopper

Expert
Austin, TX
I forgot about mosquitos. Where we live we have a very large bat colony and the bats take care of the mosquito population.

The escarpment actually sounds intriguing. The description is just like Porcupine Rim in Utah or Horsethief Bench in Fruita, Colorado. But if there are no bikes allowed, I have to respect the rules.

I checked out the link to the national park previously and did not see mention of bikes either allowed or not.

I will probably just hike those trails with the wife and her group.

2013-08-21 4:59 AM

Master
Kitchener

Originally posted by Hugh in TX I forgot about mosquitos. Where we live we have a very large bat colony and the bats take care of the mosquito population. The escarpment actually sounds intriguing. The description is just like Porcupine Rim in Utah or Horsethief Bench in Fruita, Colorado. But if there are no bikes allowed, I have to respect the rules. I checked out the link to the national park previously and did not see mention of bikes either allowed or not. I will probably just hike those trails with the wife and her group.

There are actually some good mountain bike trails just south of the park.  Check this link out.  

http://www.mtbthebruce.com/trails/lindsay-tract.php

However, do make sure you hike the Bruce Trail going south, starting inside the park and get at least 7km in, if you can, before you turn back - spectacular scenery and some challenge.   

Enjoy your visit. 

Anne

2013-09-04 8:13 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bruce Peninsula Rss Feed