General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Toronto Triathlon Festival
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 12s
Overall Rank = 476/609
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Mississauga. Normal routine, yoga, green juice, coffee, raw buckwheat oatmeal; beet juice on drive to site and hemp protein drink at site. Left at 6:45 and on site by 7:00.
Event warmup:

DId a 25 minute bike ride at hotel on some quiet roads riding into the wind and also with the tail wind.
Swim
  • 20m 1s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

No warm up allowed so had about 2 minutes to get used to water. Rather than swimming spent the time dunking and keeping face in the water to numb it and get rid of the spike in HR from the cold water. Think it worked pretty well.
What would you do differently?:

Rated swim below average because of slower time than normal. Most people seemed to be 1-3min slower than their usual times - guessing it was because the muscles don't work as well when they are frozen. I do need to start pushing myself harder in the water. Think I have the technique and need to start pushing my cardio.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I actually ran from swim to bike this time, and my T1 time is improving again, but still too slow. Struggled with my wetsuit on the heels.

Run a bit faster and get wet suit off faster.
Bike
  • 39m 17s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.26 km/hr
Comments:

PB for me!!!! FINALLY broke the 30km/hr barrier. And with 28km/hr NE winds with gusting especially over open bridge areas. Uphill all the way out to 10km turn around and then flying back to finish with exception of last 2km? where we had to turn back into the wind. Also included a long run up a steep hill to the mount line and then literally crawling back down it because it felt like the bike was going to run away from from or pull me flying down the hill.

Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

This was quite a shock starting down the steep hill with bike. Felt like the bike was going to pull me down it or I was going to lose the bike. so but the brakes on my feet and held on bike tightly and walked down the ramp to 2/3 down and then able to run bike back to rack.

Practice running with bike down a steep hill.
Run
  • 32m 4s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

This was a good run for me. Legs didn't feel heavy and felt like I had good cadence. Best run this year off the bike and a hard bike too. I was hoping to get a 6:15 pace and even though my legs didn't feel heavy just couldn't get them to move fast enough. The first km was toughest and the last 2km the strongest, especially the last km. Hooked up with another triathlete that had been running slightly faster than me and we ran together and she coached me on my breathing. She actually sent me on my way to the finish line with 1km to go.

Even though my swim is not fast, it is the run that is putting me 5-6 positions lower in the overall age group ranking.

Post race
Warm down:

Usual walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training this year - low because of the hiking training.

Last updated: 2013-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:01 | 750 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 491/609
Performance: Below average
Don't wear HR monitor. Breathing was OK considering the ice water.
Suit: Yes
Course: Sort of a rectangle. In a protected area around some big sail boats and cruisers?. Parts of the water had some warm spots but mostly cold and apparently lots of debris in water but never really noticed.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:17 | 20 kms | 30.26 km/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 377/609
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Had to run (walk/push) bike up a steep ramp to the mount line which was in a covered walkway across a road, so it was quite narrow and congested but I pushed my bike a bit past the mount line and to the left. Then through some pave paths/roads to get to the Gardiner and travelled East into the wind for about 10km then turn around and went past where we entered the Gardiner for about 1km? then turn around back into the wind finishing with a sharp 90* turn up the ramp and back to the covered walkway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:04 | 05 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 557/609
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-13 8:25 PM

Master
Kitchener
Subject: Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course

Started by moss-archambault
Views: 1209 Posts: 2

2013-07-22 5:57 AM kimmax

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Sprint Course

Started by patricia7
Views: 1265 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 7:03 PM patricia7

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Olympic Course

Started by Ririnette
Views: 984 Posts: 1

2012-08-08 10:08 AM Ririnette

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1208 Posts: 1

2012-07-28 11:20 AM richtherunner

Started by dgtlkvn
Views: 807 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 12:04 PM dgtlkvn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.