General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-15 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Achilles tendonitis
Anyone ever have Achilles tendonitis? I think I am suffering from that now.

I have my first Olympic distance triathlon in 5 weeks so I am starting to stress about missing so much training.

How long it take to get better and what did you do? I have been using ice, compression socks, foam roller on a ad- hoc basis but don't really have a set plan to treat it.

Should I stretch it? I've been lightly cycling, staying in zone 1. Is that okay?

2013-08-15 10:04 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Achilles tendonitis
I ruptured mine in Feb of this year so I have some experience with it. First off, don't play with you achilles....its been a long recovery for me. The recommended rest for tendonitis is 4 weeks; I know a member of my mentorship group had this and he was fine after 4 weeks of no running/biking. I'd suggest swimming and the elliptical as your main cardio for the next month. Those were my mainstays after my surgery (I was allowed to bike as well but I found that it did bother my achilles at times) Good luck with this!
2013-08-16 7:26 AM

User image

I had some inflammation on my Achilles and I used night splints to alleviate the pain. I took 3 days off of running/biking and eased back into my routine for another week before training full time.

They are a little awkward to use, but they REALLY helped.

I used this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Active-Ankle-Dorsal-Night-Splint/dp/B0015TESE4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376655855&sr=8-3&keywords=night+splint
2013-08-16 7:49 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

I had achilles tendonitis which kept me off running for months. In fact, it's how I started in triathlon. Swimming and gentle cycling (no elliptical) worked well for me to keep up my activity, but nothing intense on the bike. And also be careful pushing off on the wall and kicking with swimming.

It's hard to say how you should treat it or how much rest you'll need. I've had minor bouts of it before which never stopped me from running for more than a couple days. This time I don't exactly know what was different, but I somehow pushed it over the edge to possibly a partial tear.

Stretching and icing generally didn't work well. Be especially careful with stretching because it can cause a rebound effect. Gentle warming, massage, and taping did help for me.
2013-08-16 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Achilles injuries are nothing to mess around with.  I'd urge you to see your doctor if you haven't already.

I was originally diagnosed with Achilles tendonitis in my left heel in August of 2010.  I was 57 at the time.  My primary care doc told me to rest it for a month, ice it and take some NSAIDs.  It didn't get any better and my orthopedic surgeon eventually decided it was degenerative tendinosis, with a couple of small tears.  He put me in a walking boot for four months and then rehab for a couple of months after that.  

He also advised me to consider giving up any sports that required jumping, quick changes of direction or sudden stops or starts.  That included things like basketball, tennis, etc.

When I was able to start training again in early 2011, I started using the Galloway run/walk method to keep from fatiging my Achilles.  I found I could pretty much do a 4:1 run/walk ratio all day with causing any pain or swelling.

Obviously, my big fear is rupturing one  of my Achilles.  At age 60 that would probably spell the end of my triathlon career.

Good luck.

Mark

2013-08-16 10:48 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs. Stretching and icing generally didn't work well. Be especially careful with stretching because it can cause a rebound effect.

Works for me. I also recommend eccentric exercise, but build up to doing it with the heel below the level of the toes. May also want to go see a PT.

2013-08-17 6:50 AM

User image

New user
Achilles tendonitis typically comes from over stretching. So to allow yourself to recover, you really need to let it rest and heal.
2013-08-17 7:12 AM
in reply to: mnbrickx

User image

New user
I have been dealing with achilles tendonitis in both legs for the last 6 weeks, and have an ironman next weekend. I tried doing as much cycling and walking as I could the first 4 weeks, but things did not improveā€¦it actually got worse. I didn't start seeing improvements until I accepted that I was hurt, adjusted my race expectations, and stopped all leg activities. I would suggest not messing around with this injury. Oh, and don't overtrain your shoulders from the extra swimming you'll be doing (I'm dealing with that too now).
2013-08-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user

I was also diagnosed with this. In addition, I had a pretty painful heel spur. Tried therapy, cortisone and boot but everything was just a quick fix. I opted for surgery and I'm glad I did. Dr tells me the Achilles was a mess. Shaved the spur extended the tendon with screws into the heel. I was laid up for good while, but is great relief. Nothing to mess with though!
2013-08-17 12:33 PM

User image

Lots of experience w/ achilles tendonitis here. I used a TP Therapy roller (for achilles/calf muscles found on Amazon approx. $65 but worth every single penny as I still use it a lot; my patients LOVE this), ice, VERY gently eccentric stretching, rest/easy spinning. Chronic achilles problems can truly lead to major setbacks....but no need to discuss this as you're taking care of it early. I found my Speedplay clips were allowing excessive heal 'whipping" w/ each pedal stroke. Once I switched clips to ones that don't allow as much rotation, problem (of several months) SOLVED. Hope this helps!
2013-08-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: mnbrickx

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by mnbrickx Achilles tendonitis typically comes from over stretching. So to allow yourself to recover, you really need to let it rest and heal.

That's a very simplistic way to put it. The "over stretching" would have to be very repetitive and intense.

2013-08-17 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida
2013-08-17 5:57 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Good Article!

I got tendonitis in my achilles about a 4 weeks before my Half Ironman, something I've had in the past. I stopped all running, and added water running 2-3 times a week with some intervals. I don't feel like I lost much conditioning, and was still able to PR.

Good Luck!

Edited by Turner100 2013-08-17 5:58 PM
2013-08-17 10:13 PM

User image

Pro

pretty much all my life.

it's a .  I've missed the last two race seasons due to it, including the Boston Marathon this year.  sometimes it takes a few days before I can run again, sometimes 4-6 months.  

ugh.  be careful.

eccentric heal drops.  every day.

2013-08-19 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
So of course this weekend during my long run, I tweaked my Achilles. So I plan on resting it. Does a tweak always turn into something or if caught early can heal and never go to tendinitis? Any recommendations on how long to rest. I have a oly coming up in less than 3 weeks which I am ok with missing and a Half iron in less than 10 weeks that I don't want to risk. I plan on visiting my Chiro who has helped with various ailments. I jinxed myself, they called and said that they haven't seen me in awhile and I said I have been doing great. Ugh.
2013-08-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4830493

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone for the feedback and Turnin for the article. It has gotten somewhat better -I can cycle now without feeling pain, but I will wait another week or more to try to run.

Rock tape has helped- I don't think it is just placebo effect. I had a time goal of 3 hours for my Olympic, but I am trying to let it go. It still could happen, but I will try not to beat myself up about it.

2013-08-24 1:40 PM

I had achilles tendonitis once.

Didn't run for two weeks. After giving it a few days of nothing, then stretch stretch stretch was my solution. Never have had it again.

I got it from not properly stretching / warming up calves before/after running and having tight calves in general.

Massage stick on calves/achilles helps loosen them up.

Make sure you give it enough rest to heal......3 weeks of no running > 6 months of running with achilles issues.
2013-08-24 3:10 PM

User image

With Achillies pain do you always have to stop running? I also have discomfort in both and just switched shoes to something will a little heel. So am I risking tearing by running? It doesn't hurt when I run so much. More when I walk around its a little uncomfortable. But reading forums like this gets me really worried.
2013-08-24 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4837903

I got a pretty bad case of it and it healed up fairly quickly by taking about a week off running and doing eccentric heel drops every day. After that I very slowly increased my mileage and iced after every run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles tendonitis Rss Feed