General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running form and drills to address issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-18 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Running form and drills to address issues

Shane posted a very interesting article about heel striking a few days ago, and it's made me think a lot about my running form. I've been running a long time, but I haven't ever really had my gait analyzed, and have never worked with a coach as an adult, though I was a competetive sprinter as a kid.  When I sprint it feels very natural and I feel like I have very efficient, "good" form, but when I run long distances  can feel pretty galumphy.

So a couple of questions:

Can you analyze your own gait?  If so, how?

Could someone describe the "ideal" gate for a given distance (we could limit it to a oly run or HIM run), or is that too dependent on body type?

What are some drills to address specific issues or work on recognizing when you're in "good form" while you're running?

2013-08-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Running form and drills to address issues

I usually start this discussion with new athlete clients with these two videos by Bobby McGee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSGzqkjrWRA&list=FLBDaifbQgu_mCP67izEp5Vw&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKA2-Sb0Tk&list=FLBDaifbQgu_mCP67izEp5Vw&index=7

The first one gives an overview of running mechanics, and the second one presents three drills that Bobby recommends for all triathletes.

My suggestion is to watch the first video and think about what he's saying, then try to slowly implement subtle changes to your existing form to more closely resemble what he describes as the ideal.  Performing his drills two or three times a week for 5-10 minutes as part of your run warmup can help develop your technique to more closely emulate what he describes.  I strongly discourage anyone from forcing drastic changes to their mechanics in a short period of time.

2013-08-18 3:14 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by TriMyBest

I usually start this discussion with new athlete clients with these two videos by Bobby McGee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSGzqkjrWRA&list=FLBDaifbQgu_mCP67izEp5Vw&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKA2-Sb0Tk&list=FLBDaifbQgu_mCP67izEp5Vw&index=7

The first one gives an overview of running mechanics, and the second one presents three drills that Bobby recommends for all triathletes.

My suggestion is to watch the first video and think about what he's saying, then try to slowly implement subtle changes to your existing form to more closely resemble what he describes as the ideal.  Performing his drills two or three times a week for 5-10 minutes as part of your run warmup can help develop your technique to more closely emulate what he describes.  I strongly discourage anyone from forcing drastic changes to their mechanics in a short period of time.

Wow! Awesome. Thanks.
2013-08-19 9:04 AM

I got a gait analysis and they said I had a moderate hell strike and would benefit from moving to a more mid/fore foot strike. They also said I slightly overpronated and I would benefit from some moderate stability shoes. I tried the shoes and ended up with pain in my knee/hip every time I would use them. Switching back to neutral shoes made the pain go away. Also, trying to move to a more mid/fore foot strike ended up with me having more lower leg strain than before. I am a firm believer that your body will compensate for whatever your natural gait is and that trying to modify that to the "ideal" gait will probably cause more problems than it fixes. Plus, I don't know that it would honestly make me any faster. 6 months after my gait analysis I reverted back to my old style of running and have minimal pain (just slight niggles here and there) and I don't foresee myself trying to change my gait anytime soon.
2013-08-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: stebaldi

Master
Northern IL
The work being discussed isn't meant to push everyone towards a specific gait or strike, but to help each individual find their own more easily.
2013-08-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1 The work being discussed isn't meant to push everyone towards a specific gait or strike, but to help each individual find their own more easily.

Yeah, I believe you and I have discussed this plenty but I agree that everyone more or less has their own ideal gait.

Lots of easy running will get you to a place very close to your own "ideal"

2013-08-19 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by switch

Can you analyze your own gait?  If so, how?

Not really unless you were to video yourself and then try to figure out what is going on and even in slow motion, it is hard to figure out what should be addressed in many cases. However, this is also true for most who offer gait analysis; it is often little more than a guess even if it is given as a prescription for your issues.

Could someone describe the "ideal" gate for a given distance (we could limit it to a oly run or HIM run), or is that too dependent on body type?

No such thing and if someone says they are able to, they are probably either trying to sell you something or are ignorant when it comes to the research on running gait.

What are some drills to address specific issues or work on recognizing when you're in "good form" while you're running?

Bobby McGee's drills are great although I haven't watched the video Don linked, I did have the pleasure of spending a day with him a few years ago and it was a fantastic experience. I'll try to watch the video later and add any drills I will incorporate beyond what is discussed in the video.

Shane
2013-08-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by stebaldi I got a gait analysis and they said I had a moderate hell strike and would benefit from moving to a more mid/fore foot strike. They also said I slightly overpronated and I would benefit from some moderate stability shoes. I tried the shoes and ended up with pain in my knee/hip every time I would use them. Switching back to neutral shoes made the pain go away. Also, trying to move to a more mid/fore foot strike ended up with me having more lower leg strain than before. I am a firm believer that your body will compensate for whatever your natural gait is and that trying to modify that to the "ideal" gait will probably cause more problems than it fixes. Plus, I don't know that it would honestly make me any faster. 6 months after my gait analysis I reverted back to my old style of running and have minimal pain (just slight niggles here and there) and I don't foresee myself trying to change my gait anytime soon.

Yep.  No surprises there.

2013-08-19 3:22 PM

User image

I was able to fix most of my gait issues simply by focusing on shorter strides and higher turnover on my easy runs (and opening my stride on the faster runs). In being lighter on my feet with a more relaxed stride, I have been able to run more efficiently and faster.

Shane said it well when he said that there's no such thing as an "ideal gait" (unless someone is trying to sell you a product). Our bodies are all different so it makes sense that we'd all run slightly differently. If you watch fast runners either on the track or in road races, you'll see many different gaits that work for even the best runners.
2013-08-21 7:42 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Don, I just wanted to thank you again for posting these links.  (I'm also bumping this thread to encourage people to take a look at your videos).  I have been a runner for >20 years, and have had marginal success as a runner (marathon pr of 3:20, prekids), but I didn't know most of the stuff in the first video.  Quite frankly, I will need to watch it a few more times to really grasp all the concepts, but I am trying to watch it before I head out for my runs each day.

Sadly, I have almost no lean in my run--who knew?? ;)  I am going to try to figure that out, but so far what I've noticed is that it seems to load my quads much more when I focus on it.

Really, thanks again :)

2013-08-21 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by switch

Don, I just wanted to thank you again for posting these links.  (I'm also bumping this thread to encourage people to take a look at your videos).  I have been a runner for >20 years, and have had marginal success as a runner (marathon pr of 3:20, prekids), but I didn't know most of the stuff in the first video.  Quite frankly, I will need to watch it a few more times to really grasp all the concepts, but I am trying to watch it before I head out for my runs each day.

Sadly, I have almost no lean in my run--who knew??   I am going to try to figure that out, but so far what I've noticed is that it seems to load my quads much more when I focus on it.

Really, thanks again

You're welcome.

As I said previously, don't try to make any drastic changes overnight.  I also agree with Shane's comment that when it comes to running technique, there's no such thing as the ideal gait for everyone.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-08-21 2:13 PM

2013-08-21 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So I guess I've been more of a "bounder" than a "leaner"--I seem to run very up and down with really almost no lean.  Today I did just over 9 hilly miles and I wore my Hokas which I have really kinda hated because I feel like I didn't have a lot of control in them and they were too stiff (and I don't really like the upper, but I'll leave that alone for now). 

What I noticed is that I had a lot more control in the Hoka's when I was thinking about and trying to incorporate a bit of a lean, especially going downhill.  So now I feel like my relationship with the Hoka's may be changing...they're like a little feedback tool. 

I'll try to keep the changes gradual :)  Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running form and drills to address issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 3383 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 11:14 PM gwbuild

Importance of form drills in running

Started by sdejan
Views: 2606 Posts: 10

2011-03-21 9:43 AM FoggyGoggles

Good form running technique - similar pain issues as minimalist shoes Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMike
Views: 3883 Posts: 34

2010-11-08 8:37 AM briderdt

TI Drills vs. Other Drills and Laps

Started by Tri Iowa
Views: 1029 Posts: 4

2006-01-06 3:16 PM TH3_FRB

Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )

Started by DRM
Views: 1634 Posts: 8

2004-04-09 7:29 PM meanman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : August 22, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding running form and blisters.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.