General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lee's Summit, Missouri
United States
Jackson County Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 46s
Overall Rank = 4/153
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Long, easyish group ride the day before, pre-race carb-loading with my 2 year old's birthday cake and ice cream.

New pre-race breakfast, yogurt with honey and granola, slim pickings around the house, needed to go to the grocery store, no real fruit. Had a Cliff Bar on the way to the race.

Left house at 5:10, arrived about 5:35
Event warmup:

Jogged a little to check the T2 run out and finish line situation. Rode a half mile to check bike function, swam out a couple hundred, stood up and looked around, then swam back in.
Swim
  • 14m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Worst swim experience ever, had this occurred early in my triathlon career I might have simply resorted to being a duathlete. As we were waiting for the start gun 2 large groups of swimmers from an earlier wave came around on their second lap, I was lined up on the extreme inside and would have to swim through all those guys, thought about heading over to the outside but didn't think I had enough time. Gun went off and the first 200 was very chaotic as we started working our way through the traffic. There was lots of contact everywhere, most of it very polite.

About 200-300 meters in things had calmed down a lot as I and those around me had woven through the traffic, I was right on the buoy line with a few guys to my right for a good navigational reference while breathing, still some occasional contact whenever someone got a little offline but nothing abnormal. I was thinking about the rest of the race, settling into a steady but solid pace and thinking this might be a pretty good swim after all that starting chaos.

At this point I acquired on my left side someone who, depending on your point of view, either though it was cool to be the most aggressive swimmer in the world or was a complete d-bag intent on assaulting and drowning me. It started with repetitive hits on my left leg and I quickly noticed that he was grabbing a handful of wetsuit with each hit and pulling, not cool so I sighted to make sure I wasn't drifting left and pushing him off course then adjusted course a little tighter into the guys on my right, to give the guy some room, it didn't take, He was now grabbing wetsuit near my hips and slowly working his way up my back, not incidental contact. I swapped sides breathing for a couple strokes to see what was going on over there and it was just one dude looking my way when he breathed and grabbing me and pulling every time he could. So I broke contact again, altered my course a little more, and picked up the pace a bit. Not enough of a change as he got my suit again a couple strokes later and dragged me under some this time, when he got up to my shoulders and caused a couple missed breaths I had enough of this crap and stopped swimming, pushed him off me and treaded water for a few seconds to make sure he swam on. Adrenalin and a few breaths of water had me wanting lots of air so I kept my head up for a bit and decided to just get out of the madness along the buoys, I wasn't going to be pleasant if I ran into mr grabby again, started swimming wide on the outside nice and easy and slowly got back into the game.

What would you do differently?:

Line up outside when I know there will be traffic like we encountered. It really wasn't that bad though, except for the grab and dunk guy, not sure how to break contact with dudes like that, he seemed intent on assaulting me no matter how much room I gave him.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Nothing notable about the transition, except the bike mount, which was crowded.

nothing.
Bike
  • 31m 17s
  • 11.75 miles
  • 22.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode well, replayed the swim in my mind a few times trying to think of how I could have broken contact easier/earlier, still nothing, legs were tired from riding yesterday so the power was a bit low.

think I need to address this with training, build a little more leg strength
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

good transition, wearing socks just takes a little time

nothing
Run
  • 18m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

started out of transition about 20m behind a guy in my age group, nobody else in sight. He was churning out a good pace and I was conscious to not get jumpy about catching him too quickly, just hold the gap and get him at the finish, if needed. Had a few moments where I could feel my running really come together, tough to describe what or how it is happening but basically I get a lot more speed for a reasonable amount more effort, caught my pace maker just before the turnaround, passed him just after we turned and held a great pace for awhile, At this point I realized I hadn't noticed Aleks at the turnaround but knew he must be ahead of me, probably leading the age group. Kept up a good effort picking off some duathletes and the earlier waves but I was running quite a bit faster than most of them, when I got out of the tunnel I got a couple guys in sight who were running pretty quick, took a couple hundred meters to catch them, as I pulled alongside I realized it was Aleks and thought he might pick it up and give me a run for the finish as we were still 200-300m out, I was going better than 6 flat at this point and had been for awhile, hoping I could hold on until the finish. As it was, I still felt great and stepped up the pace a couple more notches into the finish. Believe I ran my way up at least 3 places in the overall.

Nothing, need to figure out what led up to this run, haven't done any race pace work in a month or more, most runs probably averaged less than 8min per mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

food, drink, and BSing. Got a little hot standing around in the sun and had to go sit in the shade for awhile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the swim, riding 52 miles the day before the race, finally ran like I feel like I should be running though

Event comments:

Perfect weather, nice venue, and well organized. Much smaller turnout than in the past.

Last updated: 2013-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:37 | 750 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 16/153
Performance: Bad
Suit: Fit2Race Sockeye
Course: CCW triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:17 | 11.75 miles | 22.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 5/153
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:53 | 03 miles | 06m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 5/153
Performance: Good
Course: out and back, nice gravel trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-20 2:15 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course

2013-08-20 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4834609

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course
Hell of a race Mike. You killed that run. Very few can say they held off Aleks on a run!
2013-08-20 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4834609

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course
Great run, Mike! Hauled some serious ACE
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mikec123
Views: 837 Posts: 1

2012-08-19 4:36 PM mikec123

Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course

Started by lisac957
Views: 2303 Posts: 10

2008-08-25 12:22 PM climbin5414

Started by lawlordc
Views: 952 Posts: 1

2007-08-26 8:46 PM lawlordc

Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course

Started by princessliak
Views: 1145 Posts: 2

2007-08-26 7:24 PM kcguy

Started by LindaKC
Views: 1440 Posts: 1

2006-08-28 12:25 PM LindaKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle