General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bric workout - and high heart rate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-21 3:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Subject: Bric workout - and high heart rate?
Training with HR monitor and trying to build a very solid base, one begins a plan in preperation for a Sprint Tri. Part of the plan are 2-3 bric workouts with bike/run transitions, so far no problem. But after the bike leg, and entering into the run leg I notice that HR is high and outside of Z2. Now, is that acceptable for the "bric workouts" - or should one still try to maintain the Z2 training? In my case I am able to lower HR by slowing down the run, but never enough to hit Z2.

Is it alright for bric workouts to NOT be concerned with maintaining Z2 training?
Or is it the opposite and one should hit the higher zones during the run?

Thanks for your help and advise.

2013-08-21 8:15 AM
in reply to: rpistor

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Bric workout - and high heart rate?

Originally posted by rpistor Training with HR monitor and trying to build a very solid base, one begins a plan in preperation for a Sprint Tri. Part of the plan are 2-3 bric workouts with bike/run transitions, so far no problem. But after the bike leg, and entering into the run leg I notice that HR is high and outside of Z2. Now, is that acceptable for the "bric workouts" - or should one still try to maintain the Z2 training? In my case I am able to lower HR by slowing down the run, but never enough to hit Z2. Is it alright for bric workouts to NOT be concerned with maintaining Z2 training? Or is it the opposite and one should hit the higher zones during the run? Thanks for your help and advise.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I think the real question is should you be doing brick workouts, and I think the answer is probably not.

2013-08-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

DC
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by rpistor Training with HR monitor and trying to build a very solid base, one begins a plan in preperation for a Sprint Tri. Part of the plan are 2-3 bric workouts with bike/run transitions, so far no problem. But after the bike leg, and entering into the run leg I notice that HR is high and outside of Z2. Now, is that acceptable for the "bric workouts" - or should one still try to maintain the Z2 training? In my case I am able to lower HR by slowing down the run, but never enough to hit Z2. Is it alright for bric workouts to NOT be concerned with maintaining Z2 training? Or is it the opposite and one should hit the higher zones during the run? Thanks for your help and advise.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I think the real question is should you be doing brick workouts, and I think the answer is probably not.

Why not?

Rpistor: During a BRICK work out/actual race, I tend to bike/run a bit slower while my HR settles & then I hit the gas. I have found that not doing this, i.e. going all out after the swim/bike, causes me to crash midway through the race. (I'm talking olympic distance.)
2013-08-21 9:42 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Porfirio

Why not? Rpistor: During a BRICK work out/actual race, I tend to bike/run a bit slower while my HR settles & then I hit the gas. I have found that not doing this, i.e. going all out after the swim/bike, causes me to crash midway through the race. (I'm talking olympic distance.)

The phisiological benefits are far outweighed by the damage you're doing to your legs. Running on tired legs is detrimental to your form. When you run with poor form you open the door for injuries. There is no special fitness gained by doing a brick. You would be much better served running, resting for hours, then cycling later.

2013-08-21 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow. This topic was derailed. If I were training for a sprint, I would get rid of Z2 training and start some Z4 efforts on the brick. Unless you are planning on Z2ing the race.
2013-08-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by GAUG3 Wow. This topic was derailed. If I were training for a sprint, I would get rid of Z2 training and start some Z4 efforts on the brick. Unless you are planning on Z2ing the race.

This topic isn't derailed, however that is potentially terrible advice. If I did a brick at race pace I would need significant time to recover from it. Without proper volume and base that is a great way to get injured or ruin your training.

2013-08-21 10:42 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Porfirio

Why not? Rpistor: During a BRICK work out/actual race, I tend to bike/run a bit slower while my HR settles & then I hit the gas. I have found that not doing this, i.e. going all out after the swim/bike, causes me to crash midway through the race. (I'm talking olympic distance.)

The phisiological benefits are far outweighed by the damage you're doing to your legs. Running on tired legs is detrimental to your form. When you run with poor form you open the door for injuries. There is no special fitness gained by doing a brick. You would be much better served running, resting for hours, then cycling later.

Good point on the advice in regards to not running while fatigued. However, that is more acceptable advice to give for HIM/IM training. Running off the bike is a neuromuscular skill your body needs to adapt to. For your muscular fibers to learn the correct firing patterns to run at high efforts quickly, you need to run off the bike more frequently. The shorter the distance the race the more skillful running off the bike is. Sprints are short enough that you can run very close to threshold if not at threshold, whereas IM you are running in that 70-75% range.

To the OP, it depends on where your fitness levels are and how comfortable you feel. If you are experienced and training at a bit higher level then being out of zone 2 is okay, if you are going for a first race, or new to the sport then maybe you want to back if off a bit.

I always suggest progressing your workouts, so for bricks maybe

4x.25 miles at race pace on 30-60 seconds recovery/4x.5 miles at race pace on 30-60 seconds recovery and so on and so forth. Maybe start the run with 1-2 minutes easy.

BUT, sprints are sprints and short enough where you can really push yourself hard, the more you are experienced the closer you should be racing to threshold.
2013-08-21 10:47 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Which training plan are you following?

How did you determine your heart rate ranges for the zones? (and they should be different for bike and run)

2013-08-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
^^^ Those ^^^ are important questions.

The correct intensity running off the bike is determined by what purpose that run is supposed to serve.

I do it for one of three purposes:

1. It's a chance to get in more running, and I don't have a better chance.
2. I need to practice pacing off the bike.
3. As part of my race rehearsal workout for a HIM or IM.

I aim for quite different paces in those three cases.

Running on tired legs is not particularly bad. Running badly on tired legs is bad. Running badly on fresh legs is bad too.
2013-08-21 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

During a brick run my running HR is never per my LT derived run HR zones.  I do just like I do in a race, ignore the HRM and go by RPE or pace.  Also, I only do a few bricks 2-3 weeks before a sprint race with nothing longer than race distance (race course practice 1-2 weeks before) with most runs only 1/2 to 1/4 race distance.  For pace I only do race pace on the beginning portion of the shortest runs.

2013-08-21 3:24 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Thanks for the answers, great suggestions. In my case: I do have experience, and I do have what I would consider a relatively solid base. The bric work out is nothing new to me, in fact it feels very comfortable and relaxed, and my form is good. So, I am not killing myself, far from it.

My question was of a more general nature (if that is possible here): is a bric workout as part of a plan for preparation to a Sprint to be done within Z2 or does one go faster (more like Z3/Z4) as far as the run is concerned?

I realize that bric is done in preparation for a "real race" and to get used to the feeling - all of that is nothing new to me. Assume that you have done races, you know what it "feels like" coming of the bike, but seemingly your HR is higher then Z2 - is that OK for a bric?

2013-08-22 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by rpistor

Thanks for the answers, great suggestions. In my case: I do have experience, and I do have what I would consider a relatively solid base. The bric work out is nothing new to me, in fact it feels very comfortable and relaxed, and my form is good. So, I am not killing myself, far from it.

My question was of a more general nature (if that is possible here): is a bric workout as part of a plan for preparation to a Sprint to be done within Z2 or does one go faster (more like Z3/Z4) as far as the run is concerned?

I realize that bric is done in preparation for a "real race" and to get used to the feeling - all of that is nothing new to me. Assume that you have done races, you know what it "feels like" coming of the bike, but seemingly your HR is higher then Z2 - is that OK for a bric?

There is no general answer. It depends on why you are doing the run off the bike. If you are just trying to put in some easy miles, then no, you probably should not be above Z2, assuming we've got a fairly standard understanding of what Z2 means and have figured out what that means for us in terms of actual HR. If you just hammered the bike, it might take a mile or so for your HR to settle. If it doesn't settle and you are supposed to be running easy (Z2-ish), then slow down.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bric workout - and high heart rate? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart Rate @ recovery higher than during Workout?

Started by reakmeyers
Views: 893 Posts: 12

2006-02-16 6:39 PM tech_geezer

high cadence = high heart rate

Started by 3aces
Views: 3534 Posts: 9

2005-11-20 12:54 PM 3aces

High heart rate during training

Started by cevans111
Views: 943 Posts: 7

2005-07-20 5:31 PM esparkhu

Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle!

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 741 Posts: 4

2005-06-20 8:21 PM KenMierke

High heart rate and breathing rate after bike

Started by derekh25
Views: 1155 Posts: 3

2004-08-19 9:32 AM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.