General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Volume Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-25 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: Swim Volume
So I'm looking to be a little more competitive in races. I think I have several minutes to get on the swim.

I'm going to use pool times for a basis here. I can swim my 1000 TT in 17:53 (1:47/100). For comparison, I swam my 1000 TT in over 22:00 at this time last year, so I've made some progress. I'd love to get my Oly time (1500) between 24:00-25:00. I think that's achievable. Optimal time frame would be a year, but I know that's a lot of progress for a year. My main question is how much swim volume would you think I'd be looking at to make that happen? 8000 yds/week? 10000?

I know the best solution would be to join master's or get a coach, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Swim background is I've been swimming about 18 months. I generally aim for 6000 yds/week right now, looking to up that. I get to the pool 3x weekly, but know that this swim focus could see me there 4-5x weekly. I had been aiming for 2000yds per workout, but have started getting that up to 2500 or so.

Thanks in advance everyone! I just don't know enough about swimming to create a good plan for myself!

BTW - I keep my logs updated and usually put my swim workout breakdown on there as well if you want to see what I'm doing...feel free to critique that as well!

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-08-25 8:52 PM

2013-08-25 11:17 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Swim Volume

You have made great progress, congratulations!

I took a quick look at your workouts and they look pretty good.  Are you getting them from somewhere or just making them up?

Personally, I think your best bet is to get your workouts up to the 2500-3000 range (or more) with a main set of 2000+ and if you can get your frequency up to 4-5 times per week you will continue to see some great gains.  

2013-08-26 1:46 AM
in reply to: #4838704

User image

I've seen gains from upping my yardage from 6.5k per week to around 10.5k over the past 11 weeks. I usually plan to swim around 12k, but I miss a swim here or there.

If you can swim 20k a week, I'm sure that would help too. It's just a matter of finding time and putting a priority on improving your swim. Most triathletes don't put that much of a priority on swimming and maybe for good reason, but that doesn't mean triathletes can see the same type of improvements as true swimmers would get by swimming less.

2013-08-26 7:43 AM

Master
Northern IL
Yeah, more swimming should help. Both with the frequency and volume. As noted, do be mindful of the entire workout size and the main set. If 2k for main set would be too much at 4-5x a week, do some a little smaller at 1500 or so and see where you go with that. Also, where are you getting the workouts? Volume matters, but so does quality. As in both pushing yourself hard and learning the various aspects of the stroke.
2013-08-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Thanks so far guys!

I put my workouts together from a variety of sources. I have a stroke correction guide where I take my drills. My general formula is 200-600 warm up, 100-400 drill, depending on what I noticed about my stroke in the warm-up. A long (800+) straight swim for endurance in form. Then a fast set. I put the fast sets together from regular tri training plans I find for free, some pieces of Sara McLarty's Master's Swim blog, some from Ruth Kazez's 50 swim workouts. I do know that if I try to put long swims at the end of the set, I won't make it through. For some reason, after I do a number of short swims, I can't get myself to go longer (ex. - doing a 400 after 5x100).

Initial plan is 4x with two workouts at 2000 yds and two at 3000 yds. for a weekly total of 10000.
2013-08-26 11:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ok, I'm not that familiar with those. But, don't worry so much about "endurance" by doing continuous swims. You can (and should) build that up by doing more shorter intervals. I'll regularly go for at least a few weeks between seeing 400's in a set. Keep things to no more than say 200's much of the time with much of it shorter than that even. Keep the rests short and you'll recover only down to just enough to keep doing the set at a solid effort, not fall back into a rested state. The work and focus on form is important, but part of that is you also have to figure out how to go faster and develop that more. Swimming faster doesn't really just kind of happen. You have to make it happen.

I know you said masters or a coach are not in the cards, but in case things change there are 2 masters programs nearby that should do well.

2013-08-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by brigby1

Ok, I'm not that familiar with those. But, don't worry so much about "endurance" by doing continuous swims. You can (and should) build that up by doing more shorter intervals. I'll regularly go for at least a few weeks between seeing 400's in a set. Keep things to no more than say 200's much of the time with much of it shorter than that even. Keep the rests short and you'll recover only down to just enough to keep doing the set at a solid effort, not fall back into a rested state. The work and focus on form is important, but part of that is you also have to figure out how to go faster and develop that more. Swimming faster doesn't really just kind of happen. You have to make it happen.

I know you said masters or a coach are not in the cards, but in case things change there are 2 masters programs nearby that should do well.

^^^ This is excellent advice. I just did a massive swim focus (130,000+ meters per month) for a 10k OWS, and my LONGEST interval was an 800. I did countless 100's on short rest.

As for the OP's question about yardage, I think less than 10K a week will maintain fitness. I started to see real gains when I started going over 20K a week. The great thing about swimming is you don't have to follow the 10% rule like running.

You've made some good gains! Keep at it!!
2013-08-26 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Cool. I'll cut out the long swim and change it up with a lot more 100's and 50's.

I've been wanting to get to a master's program for awhile and just haven't been able to make it happen. I'm looking to try and start for the Spring section (starts in Feb). The program near me (Libertyville...saw you were from Northern IL) has been recommended to me by 3 different people at the gym pool.
2013-08-26 12:49 PM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by blbriley

^^^ This is excellent advice. I just did a massive swim focus (130,000+ meters per month) for a 10k OWS, and my LONGEST interval was an 800. I did countless 100's on short rest.

As for the OP's question about yardage, I think less than 10K a week will maintain fitness. I started to see real gains when I started going over 20K a week. The great thing about swimming is you don't have to follow the 10% rule like running.

You've made some good gains! Keep at it!!

20k...that's a lot of swimming. Not sure I'd be able to get 20k in during a week unless I was prepping for a big OWS, like you did. I know that in order to be a faster swimmer, a big part is to swim more.

Guess I'll start bringing a bag of pennies poolside to count 100's.

Thanks for the input everyone!
2013-08-26 1:21 PM

I like to do long main sets (1,000 - 1,500 yards w/o stopping) at least once a week because it is more of a mental thing for me to know I can do the distance. Additionally, I feel that when I take a break it allows me to hit the "reset" button versus if I keep swimming I need to maintain my stroke/form and make adjustments as I am swimming.

My workouts lately have been a long main set, then 500-1,000 yards broken up into 200s and 100s and my final 500 yards are always 2 x 100 hard, 4 x 50 hard, and 4 x 25 all out sprint.
2013-08-26 2:19 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Cool. I'll cut out the long swim and change it up with a lot more 100's and 50's. I've been wanting to get to a master's program for awhile and just haven't been able to make it happen. I'm looking to try and start for the Spring section (starts in Feb). The program near me (Libertyville...saw you were from Northern IL) has been recommended to me by 3 different people at the gym pool.

Yeah, that's the one I go to. I've been able to both meet and go past your goals this year at various events. Way stronger than I've been in the past. 20k/wk would be awesome if you can build up to it, but know that I was able to make substantial improvements on hitting low to mid teens week in week out. Think like 50-60,000 a month, sometimes a bit more. I had to drop back to near 10k/wk for a little while to build back up on biking and running, but was able to maintain to increase some during that time, just not as fast as with the bigger volume.

2013-08-26 2:35 PM
in reply to: tb1000

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tb1000 I like to do long main sets (1,000 - 1,500 yards w/o stopping) at least once a week because it is more of a mental thing for me to know I can do the distance. Additionally, I feel that when I take a break it allows me to hit the "reset" button versus if I keep swimming I need to maintain my stroke/form and make adjustments as I am swimming. My workouts lately have been a long main set, then 500-1,000 yards broken up into 200s and 100s and my final 500 yards are always 2 x 100 hard, 4 x 50 hard, and 4 x 25 all out sprint.

Do you really need that confidence boost every single week? If so, would suggest a stronger program. The main sets for masters are usually close to, if not a little over, an HIM swim (always been more than an Oly). So after tearing through these on a regular basis, I'm quite confident I can back off some and get through any tri swim up to that distance just fine. And have done so. I understand some do like to go straight through on long sets, but weekly seems a bit excessive.

2013-08-26 3:42 PM

Originally posted by tb1000 I like to do long main sets (1,000 - 1,500 yards w/o stopping) at least once a week because it is more of a mental thing for me to know I can do the distance. Additionally, I feel that when I take a break it allows me to hit the "reset" button versus if I keep swimming I need to maintain my stroke/form and make adjustments as I am swimming. My workouts lately have been a long main set, then 500-1,000 yards broken up into 200s and 100s and my final 500 yards are always 2 x 100 hard, 4 x 50 hard, and 4 x 25 all out sprint.

Do you really need that confidence boost every single week? If so, would suggest a stronger program. The main sets for masters are usually close to, if not a little over, an HIM swim (always been more than an Oly). So after tearing through these on a regular basis, I'm quite confident I can back off some and get through any tri swim up to that distance just fine. And have done so. I understand some do like to go straight through on long sets, but weekly seems a bit excessive.

It doesn't feel excessive to me, especially since it is a low/no impact activity. Additionally, since I have only been swimming about a year and do not have a ton of experience with swimming long distances I like to do it. It is a good check on my pacing and how I do over an endurance set. I also tend to get bored easily while swimming so it's good training for me to keep going despite my boredom.

Everyone has something that works for them. This works for me. I've seen substantial improvements in my times so I am happy with it.

2013-08-26 4:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by tb1000

It doesn't feel excessive to me, especially since it is a low/no impact activity. Additionally, since I have only been swimming about a year and do not have a ton of experience with swimming long distances I like to do it. It is a good check on my pacing and how I do over an endurance set. I also tend to get bored easily while swimming so it's good training for me to keep going despite my boredom. Everyone has something that works for them. This works for me. I've seen substantial improvements in my times so I am happy with it.

The excessive comment was about the frequency of the continuous set, not the volume of swimming. If one needs to do a long, continuous set every week, then the suggestion was to re-evaluate the swim program being used. This is not to say that one should never, ever do them, but rather they are not necessarily the best use of time with that kind of frequency. The size of the workouts being proposed will be more than enough to build confidence in that. And towards pacing, the sets can (and should, if possible) be done with a pace clock and a tighter send-off. You can do 1000 in a workout as 10 x 100 and set up the send-off so that you'll get 5-10 seconds of rest each time by leaving on say 1:55 if the pace was 1:47/100. You'll know exactly what you're doing for every 100. How have you been checking your pacing for something like this?

ETA: I'm not a life-long swimmer either, but do keep looking for more ways to keep on getting better at swimming. Even if something seems to "work for me", I keep trying to add more knowledge to that.

Edited by brigby1 2013-08-26 4:36 PM
2013-08-26 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
So I've been doing approximately 6000 yds/week in the past. I decided to up it to 10000 this week, then shoot for 12000 next week. Kicked it off today with 2700 m in the pool with a big main set of 100's. I was shooting for 3000...but I felt my stroke falling apart and I was struggling to keep up with the pace I wanted, so I decided to cut my losses and cut it a bit short.

Another question...I've been running since I was a kid and hold fitness there fairly easily. Even when I'm not doing a run focus, I can get a pretty good run time. I hold fitness there well. I didn't grow up a swimmer. After my swim focus, will I have to keep up that 12000/wk in order to keep that speed, or will I lose it if I drop that yardage down to say...8000 when I get back into the swing of things? Maybe that's a person to person question. Thanks!
2013-08-27 7:47 AM

Master
Northern IL

Swimming gains tend to hold rather well. Many believe it to hold the best of the 3, so when you really make improvements they should generally stay with you even with reduced volume. Should be able to keep the speed gains quite well. It won't take as much to stay there as it did to get there in the first place. Depending on how far you go, swim fitness may hold or drop a little, but it's usually a good idea to build up some more volume leading into a race anyway. If any was lost, it should come back a bit faster than it was developed in the first place. And by fitness I mean more along the lines of conditioning so that the swim doesn't take so much out of you.

2013-08-27 9:36 AM

The excessive comment was about the frequency of the continuous set, not the volume of swimming. If one needs to do a long, continuous set every week, then the suggestion was to re-evaluate the swim program being used. This is not to say that one should never, ever do them, but rather they are not necessarily the best use of time with that kind of frequency. The size of the workouts being proposed will be more than enough to build confidence in that. And towards pacing, the sets can (and should, if possible) be done with a pace clock and a tighter send-off. You can do 1000 in a workout as 10 x 100 and set up the send-off so that you'll get 5-10 seconds of rest each time by leaving on say 1:55 if the pace was 1:47/100. You'll know exactly what you're doing for every 100. How have you been checking your pacing for something like this?

ETA: I'm not a life-long swimmer either, but do keep looking for more ways to keep on getting better at swimming. Even if something seems to "work for me", I keep trying to add more knowledge to that.

Unfortunately, there is not a pace clock at any of pools I swim in but I use my watch. I still do plenty of 100s with 10 sec rest in between. I'm swimming between 6,000 - 7,500 yards a week so if I do one long set of 1,000 - 1,500 yards per week I am ok with that and it makes it more enjoyable for me.

I like to pace my longer sets at 1:40 / 100 and then my broken up 100s are usually between 1:30 - 1:35 / 100.
2013-08-27 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Swimming gains tend to hold rather well. Many believe it to hold the best of the 3, so when you really make improvements they should generally stay with you even with reduced volume. Should be able to keep the speed gains quite well. It won't take as much to stay there as it did to get there in the first place. Depending on how far you go, swim fitness may hold or drop a little, but it's usually a good idea to build up some more volume leading into a race anyway. If any was lost, it should come back a bit faster than it was developed in the first place. And by fitness I mean more along the lines of conditioning so that the swim doesn't take so much out of you.

That's good to know. Swimming is tough for me....I hope some increase in volume helps a bit...hopefully in Feb. I can get to Masters. I think that will help me keep up the higher volume more consistently. And help get a stronger swim in general.

Thanks for your help!

2013-08-27 10:49 AM

User image

seeing all these recommended volumes makes me feel like the training plan i'm using for my HIM (the tri-newbies HIM plan) is not swim heavy enough...right now i'm on week 10 of 18 and the swim is only 6750m (if I stick to the prescribed workouts)...wondering if I need to increase the distances...
2013-08-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by austhokie

seeing all these recommended volumes makes me feel like the training plan i'm using for my HIM (the tri-newbies HIM plan) is not swim heavy enough...right now i'm on week 10 of 18 and the swim is only 6750m (if I stick to the prescribed workouts)...wondering if I need to increase the distances...

Like with most plans, it depends on your ability and previous volume. For some 6k per week will help them improve dramatically. For others 6-10k won't even maintain current fitness levels. In my opinion you can also get away with a little less volume with more intensity. As long as your shoulders don't hurt, then most people put in time but it is not as hard as it really can be.
2013-08-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Originally posted by peteweb55403

Like with most plans, it depends on your ability and previous volume. For some 6k per week will help them improve dramatically. For others 6-10k won't even maintain current fitness levels. In my opinion you can also get away with a little less volume with more intensity. As long as your shoulders don't hurt, then most people put in time but it is not as hard as it really can be.

I guess volume wise - I used to swim in high school (grades 8-10 in Australia), but backstroke was my stroke of choice, so my front crawl is probably not as strong as it could be - then during college I pretty much didn't swim at all - probably took off close to 10 years...that being said, once I got back in the pool this last year, I was easily able to start at about 1200m and been working upwards...

I'm kinda of in the mind that maybe I need more volume - but the sprints in the workouts i've been doing have been kicking my butt - this mornings main set was 10x100m with 15' rest...my goal was all of them below 2min - which I hit (I told myself, if any of them were over, then i'd shorten my distance) and I am seeing improvements (I went from a 15:45 800m to a 15:15 800m over the course of about 4 weeks)

my gym has a masters swim program - but because I rely on public transport to go to work (yay DC traffic) - I can't make it in until half-way through the sessions - so maybe i'll look at exploring that option in the future

2013-08-27 12:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by austhokie seeing all these recommended volumes makes me feel like the training plan i'm using for my HIM (the tri-newbies HIM plan) is not swim heavy enough...right now i'm on week 10 of 18 and the swim is only 6750m (if I stick to the prescribed workouts)...wondering if I need to increase the distances...
I guess volume wise - I used to swim in high school (grades 8-10 in Australia), but backstroke was my stroke of choice, so my front crawl is probably not as strong as it could be - then during college I pretty much didn't swim at all - probably took off close to 10 years...that being said, once I got back in the pool this last year, I was easily able to start at about 1200m and been working upwards... I'm kinda of in the mind that maybe I need more volume - but the sprints in the workouts i've been doing have been kicking my butt - this mornings main set was 10x100m with 15' rest...my goal was all of them below 2min - which I hit (I told myself, if any of them were over, then i'd shorten my distance) and I am seeing improvements (I went from a 15:45 800m to a 15:15 800m over the course of about 4 weeks) my gym has a masters swim program - but because I rely on public transport to go to work (yay DC traffic) - I can't make it in until half-way through the sessions - so maybe i'll look at exploring that option in the future

And do remember the part about how *well* you want to do at the event. Plenty have gotten through a HIM on 6-10k/wk and done ok. I did for a few. More recently I've wanted to do better than ok and also felt that swimming was draining too much out of me to really be able to run as well as I'd like to. And generally when one wants to do better, they need to figure out how to do more or get more out of what they are doing.

2013-08-27 12:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie seeing all these recommended volumes makes me feel like the training plan i'm using for my HIM (the tri-newbies HIM plan) is not swim heavy enough...right now i'm on week 10 of 18 and the swim is only 6750m (if I stick to the prescribed workouts)...wondering if I need to increase the distances...
I guess volume wise - I used to swim in high school (grades 8-10 in Australia), but backstroke was my stroke of choice, so my front crawl is probably not as strong as it could be - then during college I pretty much didn't swim at all - probably took off close to 10 years...that being said, once I got back in the pool this last year, I was easily able to start at about 1200m and been working upwards... I'm kinda of in the mind that maybe I need more volume - but the sprints in the workouts i've been doing have been kicking my butt - this mornings main set was 10x100m with 15' rest...my goal was all of them below 2min - which I hit (I told myself, if any of them were over, then i'd shorten my distance) and I am seeing improvements (I went from a 15:45 800m to a 15:15 800m over the course of about 4 weeks) my gym has a masters swim program - but because I rely on public transport to go to work (yay DC traffic) - I can't make it in until half-way through the sessions - so maybe i'll look at exploring that option in the future

And do remember the part about how *well* you want to do at the event. Plenty have gotten through a HIM on 6-10k/wk and done ok. I did for a few. More recently I've wanted to do better than ok and also felt that swimming was draining too much out of me to really be able to run as well as I'd like to. And generally when one wants to do better, they need to figure out how to do more or get more out of what they are doing.

I figure my first one, i'm going to survival/ finishing under the time limit...after that I'll set a time goal
2013-08-27 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

I don't know if I'd be able to hold 12000+ yds/week if I was doing a lot of other training as well. I'm focusing on the swim for awhile with sights set on next year. Hopefully, I'll get at least a little more speed from this and will be able to get more distance in during the same time for a total gain.

Headed in for Day 2 of this right now...
2013-08-27 2:36 PM

User image

x2

I did my first 3 HIMs swimming around 6-7k per week.  I got through the swim fine in each race.  But I didn't see a lot of improvements.  For me, 6-7k was enough to get me coming out of the water reasonable fresh, and in a MOP time.  So a training plan that recommends that distance is likely fine for most people, but likely not sufficient if you want to see major improvements.  Unless of course you're trying to improve on a horrible swim. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Volume Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming- volume or time?

Started by birwin8
Views: 1719 Posts: 19

2010-02-05 9:50 AM hockeyhands

Swim volume/Martha's Vineyard

Started by jsklarz
Views: 794 Posts: 2

2008-06-19 12:22 PM Bripod

Shark Week and Swimming Volume

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 1360 Posts: 23

2007-08-02 2:22 PM ditchdoc

swim volume increase

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1054 Posts: 17

2007-04-10 6:02 PM sharp4850

swim volume and improvement

Started by madeye
Views: 951 Posts: 11

2005-05-25 5:11 PM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Amy Kuitse
You ask yourself if a couple of months will be enough time to prepare for that sprint; and how must swim training change in volume and intensity for the longer distances?

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.

date : June 14, 2005
author : infosteward
More than any other factor – including distances in other sports, weight, height – time on bike proved important for faster performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.