Other Resources Challenge Me! » September Running Challenge! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-09-28 2:56 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: September Running Challenge!

Originally posted by Asalzwed Raining cats and dogs here today! WU - 3.5 miles at 6:30 - jogging - 2 x 1.2 miles XC loop HARD I had to shed all my clothes but shorts and sports bra because We were drenched! Did a cool down loop in my spikes as a course preview. Purpose Tempo with hard finish

Sounds like fun.  Running hard in the rain through the woods half naked.  Sweet!!

2013-09-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: lmscozz

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by lmscozz

Ran 13 miles today as I taper down for Oct. 13th marathon. This was probably one of my worst runs lately as far as how I felt. My legs were like lead and my right hip flexor was screaming. I managed to ignore it and I did stop and walk it out and stretch it out a bit. I had a deep tissue massage on Thursday, so that might have something to do with it. I'm a bit paranoid about staying healthy going into this.

Purpose: Stay upright for 13 miles, practice hydration, form and nutrition. Results? I felt like I was going to bonk early on so I had some honey stingers and 1/2 a gel around mile 9. I just wasn't that hungry this morning so I started with a less than 1/2 tank. But, it's done. 

Sounds like we had the same kind of day.  Well, we got through it.  You are right about some of those really tough days coming before a race.  Good to get those out of your system, rest up, and crush it race day.

I think it's a good afternoon for a nice lunch and a movie.

2013-09-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Originally posted by Pink Socks

Hope you feel better soon, navbtcret. Great job everyone else!

'Xactly as I feared last night - I've got some major pains today. Rest day and I'm going to stretch. Hope to get that triple this weekend but I've got to be smart about it.

I hope you are feeling better this weekend. I also hope your triple goes well! Ragnar awaits!!
2013-09-28 3:53 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Chunga 6 miles yesterday, mid week base miles. I have an 11 miler this Sunday to mentally prepare for! I have really enjoyed this run challenge, thanks Salty!

Nice job on the 6 and good luck on the 11 miler.  Do you have a plan for hydration and maybe some nutrition?  Long runs like that are a great time to work on those things.

I haven't done anything with nutrition yet with my running though I have had a lot of practice with cycling this year. However I don't know how differently my body will do with running long and taking in nutrition. I am going to try some GU tomorrow, probably 1 at 45 or so minutes then again 45" later. For hydration I have just been carrying water.

Btw bike SAGs are just awesome! Socializing while resting a few minutes and snacking! What could be better! Almost like preschool
2013-09-28 3:56 PM

User image

New user

13 miles.  Purpose M pace race prep.  Work on pacing, hydration, nutrition.  It was a fail.  Pace was right on but I felt horrible.  Next week is not going to be pretty.  When I slow down I think I lose all my running economy.  I felt way better last week 20 seconds per mile faster.  I'm thinking of running my marathon at the faster pace and then putting in walk breaks

Maybe it won't be a fail if this helped you add the walk breaks and make the marathon a better experience!
2013-09-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: lmscozz

User image

New user

Ran 13 miles today as I taper down for Oct. 13th marathon. This was probably one of my worst runs lately as far as how I felt. My legs were like lead and my right hip flexor was screaming. I managed to ignore it and I did stop and walk it out and stretch it out a bit. I had a deep tissue massage on Thursday, so that might have something to do with it. I'm a bit paranoid about staying healthy going into this.

Purpose: Stay upright for 13 miles, practice hydration, form and nutrition. Results? I felt like I was going to bonk early on so I had some honey stingers and 1/2 a gel around mile 9. I just wasn't that hungry this morning so I started with a less than 1/2 tank. But, it's done. 

Great job sticking with it and getting the planned amount done! Sounds rough but you ignored the barrier and made it through!

2013-09-28 5:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Sounds like we had the same kind of day.  Well, we got through it.  You are right about some of those really tough days coming before a race.  Good to get those out of your system, rest up, and crush it race day.

Yeah I was thinking both of these posts not only sounded similar to each other but similar to my previous pre marathon M pace runs. Don't let it shake ya. Know you have done the work and its going to be great!
2013-09-28 6:03 PM

User image

Out for 10.3 miles today, feeling a little better. Purpose to get some mile sin, these 2, 3 and 4 mile days are driving me nuts, I need some miles. I'll get them next weekend running my first doubles, the New Hampshire marathon on Saturday and then drive to Maine and run the Maine marathon on Sunday.
2013-09-28 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
6.2 miles. Purpose: getting that work in while in Augusta!
2013-09-28 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah I was thinking both of these posts not only sounded similar to each other but similar to my previous pre marathon M pace runs. Don't let it shake ya. Know you have done the work and its going to be great!

So sorry that both of you had bad runs before but it's true, sometimes the ones are best to get out of the way.

Pops, walk breaks may be a good way to go for you since the slowing down just doesn't feel right. My hubby gets injured when he tries to run too slow. But that is what training is for, helping us not only get the miles but figure out the best strategy.

Lynn, really hope you figure out the hip. Do you believe in stretching? I learned the hard way that I need to know not only my normal stretches but some other stretches for other body parts. I was at mile 18 of a race and didn't flippin now how to fix my ITB. It was frustrating - esp since hubby is a ITB stretch expert.
2013-09-28 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
10.25 miles. am: 6 miles. Purpose: Easy and calculate when I should run my next two runs. I decided that each run needs to be about 10 hours apart. pm: 4.25 Purpose: Easy, hills, pick up my makeup.

Will need to get up tomorrow about 5 (Ug) for the third run. Legs better but I'm having some issues. Will do more stretches and take it easy tomorrow.

2013-09-29 6:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
4 miles. Purpose: Complete the triple, hill repeats. On my final one, I got blinded by a cars headlights and tripped over a change in grade. Down pretty hard. Nice road rash now.
2013-09-29 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

So sorry that both of you had bad runs before but it's true, sometimes the ones are best to get out of the way. Pops, walk breaks may be a good way to go for you since the slowing down just doesn't feel right. My hubby gets injured when he tries to run too slow. But that is what training is for, helping us not only get the miles but figure out the best strategy. Lynn, really hope you figure out the hip. Do you believe in stretching? I learned the hard way that I need to know not only my normal stretches but some other stretches for other body parts. I was at mile 18 of a race and didn't flippin now how to fix my ITB. It was frustrating - esp since hubby is a ITB stretch expert.

Yes, thanks. Stretching and yoga is part of my routine, as is myofacial release, ie: the stick, foam roll, etc. It's a good reminder to keep it up these next couple of weeks. 

2013-09-29 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Originally posted by Pink Socks 4 miles. Purpose: Complete the triple, hill repeats. On my final one, I got blinded by a cars headlights and tripped over a change in grade. Down pretty hard. Nice road rash now.

Oh geez! Sorry about the RR. 

2013-09-29 11:54 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Pink Socks4 miles. Purpose: Complete the triple, hill repeats. On my final one, I got blinded by a cars headlights and tripped over a change in grade. Down pretty hard. Nice road rash now.
ouch!!!! That's hard core!
2013-09-29 11:59 AM

User image

Seattle
13 miles in before the Seahawks game. Purpose: endurance Now it's time for mimosas and breakfast ... And beer. Go hawks!

2013-09-29 12:17 PM

User image

New user

4 miles. Purpose: Complete the triple, hill repeats. On my final one, I got blinded by a cars headlights and tripped over a change in grade. Down pretty hard. Nice road rash now.

Youch! I have no doubt you will hang in there and be knocking out your triples anyway!
2013-09-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

New user
Today's plan was 11 miles for my long run, base building.

I decided to check out a group that runs on Sunday morning from a park near where I work. I hooked up with them. It was a small group and We had some nice conversation. The time really passed quickly and I ran 13 miles!!!!! 3 miles more than my previous longest run!! That was a great run!
They run every Sunday, 10 plus miles, I think I have some new Sunday morning plans!

Mary
2013-09-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Chunga

Today's plan was 11 miles for my long run, base building.

I decided to check out a group that runs on Sunday morning from a park near where I work. I hooked up with them. It was a small group and We had some nice conversation. The time really passed quickly and I ran 13 miles!!!!! 3 miles more than my previous longest run!! That was a great run!
They run every Sunday, 10 plus miles, I think I have some new Sunday morning plans!

Mary

'
WTG Mary!!!!! Glad you found a group to run with. You are doing so good. I'm glad you said that because I should get up with a group here. I used to run with a Monday night group and got out the habit when son's baseball schedule was always conflicting. But I need to get back with them. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the kind words. Nothing is broken and I'm moving around fine. All of the scraps hurt but I'll live. Pride is hurt more than the hands and knees.

BTW, the Ragnar leader asked our group to give him our top 3 choices for legs to run. This part is interesting to me because I like to see people's logic for choosing their legs. Ideally I would like a least one hard and one moderate. I didn't list any of the very hard legs as my top choices because I didn't want the team's time to suffer since I'm not one of the fastest and I'm not from the mountains. But I told him I was open to take one of the very hard legs if the team was ok with it. Can't wait to see how it shakes out. I'm really fine with any of the legs except one set because it's all easy runs; that may be my speed but I want more of a challenge.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-09-29 1:04 PM
2013-09-29 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed 13 miles in before the Seahawks game. Purpose: endurance Now it's time for mimosas and breakfast ... And beer. Go hawks!

No run today.  Some time on the trainer.  Yeah, go hawks!!!

2013-09-29 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Asalzwed 13 miles in before the Seahawks game. Purpose: endurance Now it's time for mimosas and breakfast ... And beer. Go hawks!

No official run, but I probably biked and ran enough cheering for people for it to count as a workout. This thread has been great for keeping me motivated. You should all join me in taking the ghoulies on next month.

2013-09-29 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Chunga Today's plan was 11 miles for my long run, base building. I decided to check out a group that runs on Sunday morning from a park near where I work. I hooked up with them. It was a small group and We had some nice conversation. The time really passed quickly and I ran 13 miles!!!!! 3 miles more than my previous longest run!! That was a great run! They run every Sunday, 10 plus miles, I think I have some new Sunday morning plans! Mary

Mary, you are just a complete badazz.  I can't believe how much you have changed your life.  You freakin rock.

------

5 miles. Purpose: test drive the ol ankle/achilles/calf thang.  The run felt great, and it doesn't hurt post-run any more than it did pre-run.  I'll chalk that up in the success column

2013-09-29 6:01 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

New user
Originally posted by switch

Mary, you are just a complete badazz.  I can't believe how much you have changed your life.  You freakin rock.

------

<
Thank you! That made me smile! I am pretty sure no one has ever called me a badazz before but I Like It!

p>5 miles. Purpose: test drive the ol ankle/achilles/calf thang.  The run felt great, and it doesn't hurt post-run any more than it did pre-run.  I'll chalk that up in the success column

Awesome that you didn't hurt more, I hope that is the start of your running return!
2013-09-29 6:02 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

New user
Originally posted by msteiner

No official run, but I probably biked and ran enough cheering for people for it to count as a workout. This thread has been great for keeping me motivated. You should all join me in taking the ghoulies on next month.

I agree this has been very motivating! What are the ghoulies?
2013-09-29 6:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » September Running Challenge! Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Ephs Team Thread (September Run Challenge) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 11698 Posts: 195

2008-10-06 7:44 PM Parkerr815

September - Swim and Bike challenge for Fall Tri's Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by Donto
Views: 17873 Posts: 281

2007-10-08 7:24 AM lastcall2003

September Swim-Bike challenge?

Started by Donto
Views: 2473 Posts: 24

2007-09-01 11:44 AM D001

September challenge anyone ??????????? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by shawn barr
Views: 9203 Posts: 136

2006-09-09 7:38 AM ott13979

Mid September challenge?

Started by agaliza
Views: 1349 Posts: 5

2005-09-24 8:57 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...