General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Life Time Fitness
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 26s
Overall Rank = 84/2286
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/176
Pre-race routine:

This was my first time doing Chicago. I woke up at 4:00 and got myself out of the house by 4:20. UCAN and PBJ right after waking up. I parked at the garage by my office to avoid the crowd at the lakefront and rode over. Definitely heed the RD's admonishments to get to this race early!! There was a long line of people waiting to get checked into transition. The volunteers were efficient; there were just a lot of bikes to move through a bottleneck at the entrance. I wound up with enough time to get set up, but not much time to spare. One more UCAN about 20 minutes before the swim start.
Event warmup:

A 5-minute spin over to the venue from the garage, and a little stretching before the swim.
Swim
  • 15m 55s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off feeling really strong and was trailing a lead group of about 5 or 6 swimmers. I don't think I gave up ground within my wave to anyone else (there was another wave of 40-44's behind me), but I didn't stay as close to the lead group as I would have liked. Once we caught the wave in front of us, I didn't do a great job working my way through the slower swimmers, and I got out of rythym a bit. I was also not familiar with the swim exit and didn't realize until too late that I had to round a final bouy before making the exit, and, as a result, I wound up getting caught in congestion making the last turn. Very frustrating because the stairs were just off to the side, and I got stuck treading/breast-stroking (yeah, yeah . . . get your mind out of the gutter) just to get the heck out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Take the last bouy wide.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I had a good T1. There were only 5 people in my age group who were out of T1 faster than me, and that was with a slight glitch with my wetsuit stuck on my timing chip strap. I was within :15 of all but the fastest person. Except for the wetsuit on the timing strap, I was efficient at the rack, so the only thing I can do is to always push to run relatively hard out of the water.

Not much other than to make sure that my chip strap is entirely UNDER my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride. I really like being able to put my head down and ride a straight shot up and down Lake Shore Drive. Frankly, it's kind of what Leon's advertises, but with a better road and more uninterrupted time in the same direction on a highway. I actually thought my pace would have been a little faster based on eyeballing my speed throughout the race, but it is what it is - the numbers don't lie. My power was about where it was at Tower, but I didn't feel quite as spent at the end.

Nothing really. Keep training and developing my bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

My T2 was OK, but I could have been faster. I was 12 out of T2 in my age group and was within :20 of most of the people who made it out faster than me. I made the mistake of using someone else's sign as a landmark to find my bike. The thing about landmark's is that they are supposed to immutable, always there for you. The sign fell over, I ran right past it, and spent about 5-10 seconds looking a little dubofunded. Once I had my bike racked, I was out of my helmet and into my shoes pretty quickly, but for some reason, I found myself standing over my space feeling like I was forgetting something. I wasn't. I just had to shake myself out of it and go.

Know what I need and don't stop to think. Shoes, belt, visor, go. Know where my space is. 12 seconds would have bumped me up 2 spots, which was a little coincidental (because it was about 2 minutes to #9), but every second counts.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. I would have like to have gone faster, but I pushed myself based on how I was feeling, and think that I had the right pace. I feel like I've learned from racing a lot this summer just how much I can push myself, and even though this was a short run, there is still the potential to blow up by going too fast, especially after the swim and bike. I was pushing hard enough to hurt, and eased off when I felt like I was going to plunge over the cliff. I also feel like this was a good way to wrap up the season. I started the season at Tower, where I blew up in the middle of the run. After a longer swim and similar effort on the bike at Chicago, I was able to hang on to a decent pace throughout and came in about :35/mile faster. Good closure.

Not much. Keep developing my run fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Food, drink, massage. Tried to bank some good karma for next year by cheering people on for a while and helping the Team to End Aids' volunteers transport their racers' gear bags up to the post-race area from the lakefront.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness . . . on to next season.

Event comments:

I had a great time. Fun race. Well organized. Even though it's a colossally large event, it was well-executed and a great experience.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:55 | 820 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/176
Overall: 157/2286
Performance: Average
Actual based on time/distance in the water just over 1:30 (there is a long, long run to transition). I was probably in the 1:20's for actual swimming but got slowed down a bit at the exit (see below).
Suit: DeSoto First Wave with Speed Vest
Course: A straight swim north from entry to exit in Monroe Harbor.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:57 | 13.67 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/176
Overall: 116/2286
Actual based on time/distance riding was 21.9. Power was just over 200w for the ride. Cadence was probably low 90's for most of the ride, given a coast down the exit ramp into T2 at the end.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back along Lake Shore Drive.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/176
Overall: 249/2286
Pace based on actual distance was 7:35 (course was a little long). Laps went: 7:37, 7:41, 7:39, 6:33 (last .16). Av HR was 170.
Course: South along the lakefront past the Shedd and then back into Millenium Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-26 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by Cruisin 06
Views: 623 Posts: 1

2013-04-23 9:42 PM Cruisin 06

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Course

Started by cvette4
Views: 1161 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 1:14 PM cvette4

Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by toddaduran
Views: 1401 Posts: 3

2012-08-28 8:06 AM Meulen

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance

Started by JSpitz41
Views: 1167 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 8:32 PM JSpitz41

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance

Started by cloudlover
Views: 1142 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 7:58 PM cloudlover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.