General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Consistent running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-26 3:47 PM

Subject: Consistent running
I'm always whining about something or other, so I figured I would share something positive. Call it a brag if you must.

It was driven home during an Olympic a few weeks ago that my running was pathetically weak. Since my triathlon season is over, I though I would focus on running since there are several fall races that I am planning on doing. I made the relatively modest commitment to run every other day for about five miles. Not much for many, but much more than I had been doing. There was no target pace, no zones, no speedwork - just a plan to be more consistent.

Anyway, the 9th run in this series was a 5K, in which I ran 23:31. That was the first time I'd broken 24 minutes in seven years (when , ironically, I also ran a 23:31). Evidently, at least at the level where I am, just consistency and a little more volume, is what it I needed.

That's all!

2013-08-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: north_north_west

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Consistent running
Congratulations! Nice work.

I'm no expert, but I've also found that being consistent really helps. From my experience, that consistency has a number of different positives. First, just running more really does get me fitter. Second, running more has helped support more focused harder running. I couldn't have handled the increases efforts without the base. Now, I have a better idea of what I'm capable of, and have the base to support working towards it.

So, congratulations on making the commitment and seeing the improvement.
2013-08-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Seattle

Yes, yes, yes! 

I'm no expert either but the value of consistency is quite clear.

Well done! And keep it up!

2013-08-26 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That's great NNW and so true about the gains from volume.  I don't think it matters how you get the volume whether it's more frequency or building to longer distances.  I think the key is to get that extra volume without overuse injuries and if that means a much slower pace than you are used to then so be it.  It doesn't do a whole lot of good to push your intensity to the point of an injury roller coaster.

This is my best running year in the last five primarily because I've been able to get the volume in.  I'm faster from 5k to HM and I'll be shooting for an over-the-hill marathon PR in October.

2013-08-26 5:35 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by north_north_west

I'm always whining about something or other, so I figured I would share something positive. Call it a brag if you must.

It was driven home during an Olympic a few weeks ago that my running was pathetically weak. Since my triathlon season is over, I though I would focus on running since there are several fall races that I am planning on doing. I made the relatively modest commitment to run every other day for about five miles. Not much for many, but much more than I had been doing. There was no target pace, no zones, no speedwork - just a plan to be more consistent.

Anyway, the 9th run in this series was a 5K, in which I ran 23:31. That was the first time I'd broken 24 minutes in seven years (when , ironically, I also ran a 23:31). Evidently, at least at the level where I am, just consistency and a little more volume, is what it I needed.

That's all!

Almost everybody is at that level. Intensity makes sense for different people, at different times, for different reasons, but consistency is where it's at.

Congrats, and keep it up!
2013-08-26 7:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yes, yes, yes! 

I'm no expert either but the value of consistency is quite clear.

I agree with everything that Salty is saying here (except the part about her not being an expert).

At the level where pretty much all of us here are ate, run training is pretty darn simple:

1. Run often
2. Don't get injured
3. ... or fat

The rest is just icing.

2013-08-26 9:20 PM

User image

Pro

if you keep up with this consistency.  And up it to 5 days a week after a while... you won't believe how fast you're gonna' get.

it might take a little while- but if you're doing sub 24 on a few weeks.  then you can go sub 21 in the next year.

2013-08-26 9:40 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

NC
Originally posted by colinphillips

At the level where pretty much all of us here are ate, ... .

You can leave my pizza habit out of this, thank you very much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Consistent running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

consistent runners -> marathon plan

Started by michael_runs
Views: 1088 Posts: 10

2011-12-27 6:33 PM michael_runs

Run Volume - Time Ran vs Distance Ran

Started by wushunut
Views: 643 Posts: 1

2011-06-22 1:41 PM wushunut

How consistent is your running pace?

Started by coreyasaur
Views: 1133 Posts: 11

2010-07-28 3:53 PM shellabree

running: more short runs or less long runs?

Started by zionvier
Views: 7618 Posts: 13

2009-09-18 8:03 PM monkeyboy64

just keep running, running, running

Started by autumn
Views: 973 Posts: 2

2004-08-23 5:00 PM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation