General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day
I screw up the multisport mode at least every other time I try to use it.  And when I do get it right, I generally don't like the screens displayed.  I like feedback on the bike and run, so most of the time I leave the Garmin on my bike; use cycling mode then reset and use run mode.  About the only time I use multisport is in races that don't have good chip timing, like a local splash and dash which doesn't time the transition.

2013-08-29 12:36 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day

Originally posted by Hook'em I screw up the multisport mode at least every other time I try to use it.  And when I do get it right, I generally don't like the screens displayed.  I like feedback on the bike and run, so most of the time I leave the Garmin on my bike; use cycling mode then reset and use run mode.  About the only time I use multisport is in races that don't have good chip timing, like a local splash and dash which doesn't time the transition.

If you push the "down" button, you can get back to your normal swim/bike/run screens.  For whatever reason, there's a default screen on the multisport mode, but you can get to your normal screens by hitting the down button.

2013-08-29 12:49 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Oakville
I have the Forerunner 305 and so I only use it for the bike and run legs, but a trick I found works is to set your bike profile up so that the Garmin will automatically stop below a pre-set speed - I use 14 km/hr.

So after I hit 'enter' for multisport mode, I also immediately hit the start button.

Sine the bike is on the rack, the Garmin will automatically stop until my bike is moving faster than 14 km/hr.

The downside is that you lose the time it takes you to run from the timing mat until you're up to speed.

I do manage to screw up the lap button to switch to the run leg, so I've got no advice for anyone there.
2013-08-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Nope, not at all.

It helps that I don't have a Garmin.

For my last tri, I didn't even use my watch. I figure the race director has paid good money to hire people to do the race timing, and that is the "official" time anyways, so why do I need my own? I'm ok that I don't have the data to upload training into my logs so the lack of race-day data isn't a huge hole distorting my entire universe.

Now I did have a HRM and tried using it for races a few years ago, pretty much without success...
2013-08-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Two for six (last 2 races worked), but I maintain that's because they must have had bugs with the firmware in the past. 

I'm sure it had nothing to do with operator error and getting used to auto-multi-sport mode...

Matt

2013-08-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Good reminder to check mine before next week. (IM Moo 2013).

2013-08-29 1:09 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by thebigbTGT- practiced it multiple times but for some reason in a race I always want to hit "lap" to cycle to the next discipline rather than "stop". Curses!Also, started a running race only to realize I still had it in multisport mode.
You do need to press "lap", not "start/stop" to switch legs. Mine has worked fine every race. Like every other skill in triathlon, it takes practice. Visualization techniques can help too.

^^^This is right.  Hit "LAP" and NOT  "START/STOP" to go from Swim to T1 to Bike etc.

I have successfully used multisport several times and have screwed it up too.  When you are in multi sport mode and say you somehow correctly get to the Bike segment without screwing it up.... The initial screen for the bike data is not what I normally use.  However, you can use the arrows on the right side of the watch to cycle through your normal bike Data Field Screens.  Took me a few races to figure that out.  During Multisport, you actually have 5 screens.  1 for Multisport.  4 from your normal bike / run set up.

Also, every great plan, that is well executed can be totally screwed up by bumping into someone in the water and hitting lap.  What I do now is wear my watch on the underside of my wrist rather than the normal way.  This has helped avoid the accidental bumping into other swimmers and the inadvertant advancing to T1 while I'm still in the water.  It's no big deal if it happens in the race as long as you don't try to fix it.  Just go with it knowing your T1 time is way off. 

I prefer to ride my bike with my watch on the underside of my arm anyways.  It's easier to see it while in aero.

The last couple of tris I've done I have not had an issue with my wetsuit getting stuck on my watch.  I pull my non-watch arm out first and then I have a little more leverage to pull my watch arm out.  Seems to work well for me.

Someone asked how to properly set Multi-sport up:

1.  Hit Mode

2.  Training

3.  Multisport

4  Customize your triathlon here.  I choose to check the box that says "include transitions".

5.  Start Multisport (by hitting Enter).

6.  Gun / Horn / Cannon goes off

7.  PUSH START

8.  KICK A$$!!!

I wish mine was actually working so I could take a look but whatever function my head thought was fitting to change from each discipline I was doing the opposite.
2013-08-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Hook'em I screw up the multisport mode at least every other time I try to use it.  And when I do get it right, I generally don't like the screens displayed.  I like feedback on the bike and run, so most of the time I leave the Garmin on my bike; use cycling mode then reset and use run mode.  About the only time I use multisport is in races that don't have good chip timing, like a local splash and dash which doesn't time the transition.

If you push the "down" button, you can get back to your normal swim/bike/run screens.  For whatever reason, there's a default screen on the multisport mode, but you can get to your normal screens by hitting the down button.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

2013-08-30 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can figure out the set up.....its getting the full multisport to transfer to garmin connect that doesn't work for me! Keeps telling me it failed transfer, so I have to manually enter all data! Frustrating!
2013-08-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: tigers75

User image

Regular
Manual upload
2013-08-31 4:31 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

I know how to use it... but Garmin no longer knows how to upload it! (In Forerunner 305). As I've complained numerous times.

2013-09-01 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

ROFL!  Yep.  I end up not using it for the swim, then kicking it on for the bike and manually switching it to the run.  Otherwise, I forget to hit the the button or hit the wrong button in-between legs.  (sigh)

I have a 12 hour drive to my race next weekend; I HOPE to use some of that time to set and practice my multisport function!

I have a separate computer on my bike as a backup, but I am totally anal about knowing my pace on a run.

No Garmin = No run.

2013-09-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by thebigbTGT- practiced it multiple times but for some reason in a race I always want to hit "lap" to cycle to the next discipline rather than "stop". Curses!Also, started a running race only to realize I still had it in multisport mode.
You do need to press "lap", not "start/stop" to switch legs. Mine has worked fine every race. Like every other skill in triathlon, it takes practice. Visualization techniques can help too.

^^^This is right.  Hit "LAP" and NOT  "START/STOP" to go from Swim to T1 to Bike etc.

I have successfully used multisport several times and have screwed it up too.  When you are in multi sport mode and say you somehow correctly get to the Bike segment without screwing it up.... The initial screen for the bike data is not what I normally use.  However, you can use the arrows on the right side of the watch to cycle through your normal bike Data Field Screens.  Took me a few races to figure that out.  During Multisport, you actually have 5 screens.  1 for Multisport.  4 from your normal bike / run set up.

Also, every great plan, that is well executed can be totally screwed up by bumping into someone in the water and hitting lap.  What I do now is wear my watch on the underside of my wrist rather than the normal way.  This has helped avoid the accidental bumping into other swimmers and the inadvertant advancing to T1 while I'm still in the water.  It's no big deal if it happens in the race as long as you don't try to fix it.  Just go with it knowing your T1 time is way off. 

I prefer to ride my bike with my watch on the underside of my arm anyways.  It's easier to see it while in aero.

The last couple of tris I've done I have not had an issue with my wetsuit getting stuck on my watch.  I pull my non-watch arm out first and then I have a little more leverage to pull my watch arm out.  Seems to work well for me.

Someone asked how to properly set Multi-sport up:

1.  Hit Mode

2.  Training

3.  Multisport

4  Customize your triathlon here.  I choose to check the box that says "include transitions".

5.  Start Multisport (by hitting Enter).

6.  Gun / Horn / Cannon goes off

7.  PUSH START

8.  KICK A$$!!!

I've missed Step 5 every time I've used it. D'oh!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start

Started by Shazzy
Views: 960 Posts: 5

2013-08-01 5:18 AM Shazzy

Garmin 910 in Auto Multisport for racing

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1596 Posts: 5

2013-05-17 7:47 PM TTom

Garmin FR305 Race Day Procedure

Started by chrisemt
Views: 936 Posts: 6

2008-08-10 8:53 AM TexasMPGal

mid-day race start nutrition

Started by skcycle
Views: 901 Posts: 3

2008-07-09 1:27 AM skcycle

Race day build-ups

Started by Evocati
Views: 1232 Posts: 5

2008-06-05 12:55 PM Evocati
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.