Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Food item you're really into these days... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-30 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Food item you're really into these days...
Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by KidoI'm into soup.  The Vons next to my office offers up a variety every day for a couple bucks.  It's been various soups with oyster crackers almost every day for lunch for about 3 weeks.  My faves are the NE Clam Chowder, the chili, and the Tuscan Tomato Bisque.
mmm, soup - but I make my own - batches in my crockpot, then I divide it up into servings and freeze it
soup.

. I heart soup

. I am currently going throug my kale, chard, and zucchini from the garden and making variations of curried creamy green soup. A bit of spice, and a splash of coconut milk, maybe some chick peas, and my in-pot emulsifier = lunch all week.

Edited by bootygirl 2013-08-30 9:50 PM

2013-08-31 5:21 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Qdoba steak rice bowl
2013-08-31 8:40 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Hooked on pasta with olive oil, grated garlic and parmesan cheese, fresh basil, tomatoes, with hot pepper flakes and salt/pepper. Sometimes I'll toss in bacon or eggplant.

(998691_10151520513083443_576748770_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
998691_10151520513083443_576748770_n.jpg (130KB - 2 downloads)
2013-08-31 9:00 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by caffer
Originally posted by Teejaay

Butternut squash ...

Avocado "Crack Sauce" (aka avocado vinaigrette)

"Avacado Crack Sauce" I'm with you there. I found a recipe for this stuff last summer. The recipe calls it salad dressing but I have yet to find anything that I cannot put it on. I make a double batch every Sunday!

Yep!  It tastes great on eggs .. and veggies and AMAZING on steak and burgers!  ON ALL THE THINGS!

This is the one I use .. I add more garlic and use a whole large avocado

That one sounds good Teejaay, I will have to try that. Here's mine...

1 Ripe Avacado
3/4 Cup water
1tsp lime zest
3Tblsp lime juice (this is usually 1 lime)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 pepper
1/2 salt
2 green onions chopped
1 Clove garlic
1-2 Tblsp cilantro (This was not in the original but we add it sometimes)

Cube the avacado, chop the onion, and throw everything in a blender......

Enjoy!
2013-08-31 10:27 AM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Champion
PA

Salad.. every protein tops a salad base.  I've been working out hard and dieting and I'm enjoying the results.  To kick it up a notch I recently just started topping salads with whatever protein available.  Recent oddballs include a braised, bacon wrapped venison loin and an awesome bluegill fillet dinner.  Both were amazing.

I'm currently right at 212.8 / 213 from 235 but my strength has dramatically increased over that time.  Generally, I've never been able to get stronger while losing weight but somehow it has happened and I look a lot better.

FWIW, I'm weight training, not tri or run training right now.

2013-08-31 11:38 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-08-31 11:39 AM

2013-08-31 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
These days I'm really into bacon (organic, nitrite and additives free, cooked crisp), homegrown tomatoes and homemade mayo.

All three of them together make a great combo with freshly cracked pepper, a bit of Himalayan pink salt and chopped lettuce.
2013-08-31 8:00 PM

Champion
PA

Originally posted by Teejaay [Weight training ...pffft! Braised bacon wrapped anything sound delicious!

All the taste of bacon with the lean, tenderness of venison loin.

Salads today were tuna salad and hamburger.  haha

2013-09-01 3:47 PM

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Full fat yogurt, getting addicted to the stuff lately.
2013-09-02 8:38 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

Master
Beijing

I'm trying to slim down a little bit, and have stalled, so I'm trying really hard to NOT be "into" any foods at all.  So right now, food is fuel, nothing more.

BUT, over the past year, I've found a few foods here that I've REALLY liked.

1.  Donkey "burgers"  - Roast donkey meat chopped with onions and green peppers, and then served on a lightly pan-fried flatbread.   Donkey tastes better than Buffalo, if you've ever head it.  Very good.  Goes well with a side of donkey soup.  The soup stock doesn't appear to be made from donkey... it's very light... probably chicken.  The Donkey roast is sliced very thin and then in the soup with some cilantro.... yum!

2.  Ku Dai Mian  (Belt Noodles)   This is a soup that comes from close to Xi'An, the home of the Terra Cotta Warriors.   This area is rather famous for its noodles.  These particular noodles are called Belt Noodles because they're EXTREMELY wide... almost as wide as lasagna noodles.  So, they're a real challenge to eat with chopsticks!  Anyway, the soup stock is made from chicken.  Then add carrots, chinese radish and maybe a few other spices.   Add a little bit of cubed beef and then top the soup with La Jiao You (hot pepper oil) and red sorghum vinegar.  

3. Dao Xiao Mian (knife-shaved noodles)  Also commonly served in soup.   The noodles are freshly-cut from a big block of pasta (see here) and boiled for a couple of minutes.  Then, they're put in a bowl and covered with beef or pork or vegetable stock, and the appropriate meat or vegetables (usually eggplant) added.   Usually VERY salty and very oily.   Extremely tasty and filling

4.  Ji Dan Guan Bing - this is a very common breakfast street food in Beijing.  You can buy them at almost every street corner every morning.  (Street vending is illegal here, but you wouldn't know it by looking.  So unless there's a "crackdown" the street vendors are out every morning)  This is a round fried flatbread.  They then open up a hole in the top side of the flatbread, and add a raw egg, frying the egg inside the flatbread.   Then, they spread a bean paste (and optional hot sauce) on the top of the flatbread, add some pickled vegetables, add a hotdog or some chicken, and top it with a piece of lettuce.   Then you fold it in half and eat it like a chalupa.   These are SO GOOD and you can get one for about 4 kuai (about 75 cents) On the days I ride my bike to work, I usually "reward" myself with a Ji Dan Guan Bing for breakfast. 

2013-09-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14

I'm trying to slim down a little bit, and have stalled, so I'm trying really hard to NOT be "into" any foods at all.  So right now, food is fuel, nothing more.

BUT, over the past year, I've found a few foods here that I've REALLY liked.

1.  Donkey "burgers"  - Roast donkey meat chopped with onions and green peppers, and then served on a lightly pan-fried flatbread.   Donkey tastes better than Buffalo, if you've ever head it.  Very good.  Goes well with a side of donkey soup.  The soup stock doesn't appear to be made from donkey... it's very light... probably chicken.  The Donkey roast is sliced very thin and then in the soup with some cilantro.... yum!

2.  Ku Dai Mian  (Belt Noodles)   This is a soup that comes from close to Xi'An, the home of the Terra Cotta Warriors.   This area is rather famous for its noodles.  These particular noodles are called Belt Noodles because they're EXTREMELY wide... almost as wide as lasagna noodles.  So, they're a real challenge to eat with chopsticks!  Anyway, the soup stock is made from chicken.  Then add carrots, chinese radish and maybe a few other spices.   Add a little bit of cubed beef and then top the soup with La Jiao You (hot pepper oil) and red sorghum vinegar.  

3. Dao Xiao Mian (knife-shaved noodles)  Also commonly served in soup.   The noodles are freshly-cut from a big block of pasta (see here) and boiled for a couple of minutes.  Then, they're put in a bowl and covered with beef or pork or vegetable stock, and the appropriate meat or vegetables (usually eggplant) added.   Usually VERY salty and very oily.   Extremely tasty and filling

4.  Ji Dan Guan Bing - this is a very common breakfast street food in Beijing.  You can buy them at almost every street corner every morning.  (Street vending is illegal here, but you wouldn't know it by looking.  So unless there's a "crackdown" the street vendors are out every morning)  This is a round fried flatbread.  They then open up a hole in the top side of the flatbread, and add a raw egg, frying the egg inside the flatbread.   Then, they spread a bean paste (and optional hot sauce) on the top of the flatbread, add some pickled vegetables, add a hotdog or some chicken, and top it with a piece of lettuce.   Then you fold it in half and eat it like a chalupa.   These are SO GOOD and you can get one for about 4 kuai (about 75 cents) On the days I ride my bike to work, I usually "reward" myself with a Ji Dan Guan Bing for breakfast. 

Oh sure, man, get us all excited about the awesome stuff you're into that we can't get our hands on.  Thanks a lot;)

I don't know why donkey gives me pause--it shouldn't--but the breakfast thing sounds incredible. Yes please...

2013-09-02 9:06 PM

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by switch

Oh sure, man, get us all excited about the awesome stuff you're into that we can't get our hands on.  Thanks a lot

I don't know why donkey gives me pause--it shouldn't--but the breakfast thing sounds incredible. Yes please...

Honestly, I was also cautious about the donkey.  After one bite, I was hooked!  If I didn't tell you it was donkey, you'd just think it was really awesome beef.

You are only one short 13-hour flight from a Ji Dan Guan Bing.  What's stopping you?  haha!

2013-09-03 7:09 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Bleh--now I remember why I never liked breakfast in Beijing.... There were a few decent items, though. Ever had a "jianbing" (fried egg with chives and some kind of Chinese crispy dough thingy wrapped in a pancake with soy and chili sauce)? They weren't bad. The vendor at the university where I was working at the time taught me how to make them and sometimes I'd take over her cart for a while--people would line up to get "laowai jianbing" (foreigner pancakes).

Just returned from a conference in Shanghai so I did get to pursue some long-denied cravings for Chinese food--Lanzhou beef noodles, cong you bing (it translates as "onion oil pancake", but it's much better than it sounds) and soymilk for breakfast or late-night snack. Plus anything with Yunnan chilies or chili sauce or that has the word "mala" ) hot and spicy) in it. Soooo good!

As for Western food, my latest obsession is Greek yogurt. We've just managed to find it nearby (imported from Australia for a hefty $10/kilo tub, but then a kilo's a lot of yogurt!). I don't know if it's filling a need for fat, protein, or just calories (Vietnamese food's not calorie dense), but boy does it hit the spot! Have been putting it on pretty much everything--fruit, cereal, even a piece of dark chocolate!
2013-09-03 7:22 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Bleh--now I remember why I never liked breakfast in Beijing.... There were a few decent items, though. Ever had a "jianbing" (fried egg with chives and some kind of Chinese crispy dough thingy wrapped in a pancake with soy and chili sauce)? They weren't bad. The vendor at the university where I was working at the time taught me how to make them and sometimes I'd take over her cart for a while--people would line up to get "laowai jianbing" (foreigner pancakes).

Just returned from a conference in Shanghai so I did get to pursue some long-denied cravings for Chinese food--Lanzhou beef noodles, cong you bing (it translates as "onion oil pancake", but it's much better than it sounds) and soymilk for breakfast or late-night snack. Plus anything with Yunnan chilies or chili sauce or that has the word "mala" ) hot and spicy) in it. Soooo good!

As for Western food, my latest obsession is Greek yogurt. We've just managed to find it nearby (imported from Australia for a hefty $10/kilo tub, but then a kilo's a lot of yogurt!). I don't know if it's filling a need for fat, protein, or just calories (Vietnamese food's not calorie dense), but boy does it hit the spot! Have been putting it on pretty much everything--fruit, cereal, even a piece of dark chocolate!

i've just discovered the joy of greek yoghurt - I'm actually goign to try my hand at making some...if you can't buy it locally produced, maybe you can get a starter - then its just milk and a spoonful of ready made yoghurt (if you can save that much )
2013-09-03 7:27 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Hot RunnerBleh--now I remember why I never liked breakfast in Beijing.... There were a few decent items, though. Ever had a "jianbing" (fried egg with chives and some kind of Chinese crispy dough thingy wrapped in a pancake with soy and chili sauce)? They weren't bad. The vendor at the university where I was working at the time taught me how to make them and sometimes I'd take over her cart for a while--people would line up to get "laowai jianbing" (foreigner pancakes). Just returned from a conference in Shanghai so I did get to pursue some long-denied cravings for Chinese food--Lanzhou beef noodles, cong you bing (it translates as "onion oil pancake", but it's much better than it sounds) and soymilk for breakfast or late-night snack. Plus anything with Yunnan chilies or chili sauce or that has the word "mala" ) hot and spicy) in it. Soooo good!As for Western food, my latest obsession is Greek yogurt. We've just managed to find it nearby (imported from Australia for a hefty $10/kilo tub, but then a kilo's a lot of yogurt!). I don't know if it's filling a need for fat, protein, or just calories (Vietnamese food's not calorie dense), but boy does it hit the spot! Have been putting it on pretty much everything--fruit, cereal, even a piece of dark chocolate!
i've just discovered the joy of greek yoghurt - I'm actually goign to try my hand at making some...if you can't buy it locally produced, maybe you can get a starter - then its just milk and a spoonful of ready made yoghurt (if you can save that much )
Do you still need a starter? I thought the spoonful of yogurt served as the starter as it contains the culture.
2013-09-03 7:51 AM

Originally posted by Hot RunnerBleh--now I remember why I never liked breakfast in Beijing.... There were a few decent items, though. Ever had a "jianbing" (fried egg with chives and some kind of Chinese crispy dough thingy wrapped in a pancake with soy and chili sauce)? They weren't bad. The vendor at the university where I was working at the time taught me how to make them and sometimes I'd take over her cart for a while--people would line up to get "laowai jianbing" (foreigner pancakes). Just returned from a conference in Shanghai so I did get to pursue some long-denied cravings for Chinese food--Lanzhou beef noodles, cong you bing (it translates as "onion oil pancake", but it's much better than it sounds) and soymilk for breakfast or late-night snack. Plus anything with Yunnan chilies or chili sauce or that has the word "mala" ) hot and spicy) in it. Soooo good!As for Western food, my latest obsession is Greek yogurt. We've just managed to find it nearby (imported from Australia for a hefty $10/kilo tub, but then a kilo's a lot of yogurt!). I don't know if it's filling a need for fat, protein, or just calories (Vietnamese food's not calorie dense), but boy does it hit the spot! Have been putting it on pretty much everything--fruit, cereal, even a piece of dark chocolate!
Do you still need a starter? I thought the spoonful of yogurt served as the starter as it contains the culture.

the one I have, says a spoonful - but I shall report back on my experiments

2013-09-03 8:17 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Pho
2013-09-03 11:57 AM

Get regular, fat-free yogurt (buy it or make your own), strain it with a coffee filter, you've got Greek yogurt. Vary the strain time to suit your consistency likes/dislikes.

Been doing this for about 20 years. Now that GY is easily available, I buy it, but back when it was a hard-to-find item in the US, I made it the same way people have for hundreds of years.

the one I have, says a spoonful - but I shall report back on my experiments
2013-09-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: danimal123

Master
Livonia, MI

HUMMUS.  I've been into this for years and eat, honestly, almost daily.  My husband hear something on the radio about hummus manufacturers doing consumption studies placing hummus eaters into three categories:

1) occasional users--using it mostly as a dip;

2) frequent users--using it mostly as a condiment;

3) their favorite, the daily user--using it mostly as a side dish Laughing 

Yep, I'm #3 fo' sho'!

Also love kale, as someone mentioned.  So delicious in stews.

Lastly, after finding out I had a bean intolerance recently, we were trying to figure out what to use in their place for our frequent chili making.  We discovered a recipe online using jicama in place of beans.  WOW, is it delicious.  It really holds its crispy crunch in the chili, even days later.

2013-09-03 7:14 PM
in reply to: danimal123

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The issue is not fat-free, but finding unflavored yogurt without added sugar--pretty much impossible most of the time. Local brands are all heavily sugared except for one brand which is only sporadically available in very small batches, and there have been serious quality issues with it--i.e. the second day it's in your fridge, it grows a green fuzz. I have friends who make yogurt but it's a more delicate process here owing to the heat.
2013-09-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Hot Runner Bleh--now I remember why I never liked breakfast in Beijing.... There were a few decent items, though. Ever had a "jianbing" (fried egg with chives and some kind of Chinese crispy dough thingy wrapped in a pancake with soy and chili sauce)? They weren't bad. The vendor at the university where I was working at the time taught me how to make them and sometimes I'd take over her cart for a while--people would line up to get "laowai jianbing" (foreigner pancakes). Just returned from a conference in Shanghai so I did get to pursue some long-denied cravings for Chinese food--Lanzhou beef noodles, cong you bing (it translates as "onion oil pancake", but it's much better than it sounds) and soymilk for breakfast or late-night snack. Plus anything with Yunnan chilies or chili sauce or that has the word "mala" ) hot and spicy) in it. Soooo good! As for Western food, my latest obsession is Greek yogurt. We've just managed to find it nearby (imported from Australia for a hefty $10/kilo tub, but then a kilo's a lot of yogurt!). I don't know if it's filling a need for fat, protein, or just calories (Vietnamese food's not calorie dense), but boy does it hit the spot! Have been putting it on pretty much everything--fruit, cereal, even a piece of dark chocolate!

My wife is a big fan of the Jian Bing.  They're a little too "mushy" for my taste but when you can get them hot off the griddle they are good.   She gets the "expensive" ones made at BHG in the Solana for about 8 kuai because she trusts the ingredients.

That's AWESOME that you got to make them!

They don't have the Cong You Bing up here.   I agree on the Yunnan food!  There's a Yunnan restaurant in the Fang Jia hutong called "Aimo Town" and it is VERY good.  It's one of our favorite places to go.

2013-09-03 9:17 PM

Veteran
Austin
peanut butter -- it goes on my sandwiches, my fruits, my smoothies, EVERYTHING.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Food item you're really into these days... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Faith and Food (Earth Day Sermon)

Started by possum
Views: 1225 Posts: 10

2008-04-15 5:29 PM kimj81

foods you're curious to try.... Pages: 1 2

Started by akustix
Views: 1756 Posts: 37

2008-02-08 3:10 PM JChristoff

One of my co-workers is really, really, really evil

Started by Spokes
Views: 814 Posts: 8

2007-08-15 5:50 PM coachese

You know you're REALLY single when... Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 1260 Posts: 32

2007-06-15 9:17 AM hangloose

The "You Know You're Really In California When" Thread

Started by Spokes
Views: 432 Posts: 6

2007-04-24 3:19 PM WaterDog66
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
comments : 1
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.