General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kerrville Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-02 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: Kerrville Tri
Congratulations to all those who participated in the Tri Rock in Austin today. It was hot. I was a volunteer at the Beefteam station today, we handed out and dumped water on a all the participants. Even with the heat I was wanting to get into the race. Everyone looked like they were having a great time.

I am in the Kerrville Tri. Who else is in? DJ man, Gomesbolt, Rachael, chiqata,

2013-09-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Kerrville Tri
Hey, awesome job volunteering Dwight! Did you hang out with Macca?

I won't be at Kerrville this year. 2 marathons this month then I'm taking a little break until Du season.

You guys have fun!
2013-09-03 9:55 AM

User image

Austin

Ill be there, and thanks for the water. Was your water stop the one at the start or at jack and adams or before the bridge?

That was one heck of a hot run, but not as bad for me as it was last year. But hot enough to decide to not do it again next year.

Kerrville will be fantastic though. I can't wait its one of the "Prettiest" places for a tri in the central Texas area, that and for a 70.3 its one of the easier courses.

2013-09-03 3:58 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I'll be there for the 70.3. First ever at that distance.
2013-09-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Austin

Originally posted by toodamnbroke I'll be there for the 70.3. First ever at that distance.

Well you picked a great one to do that distance at.

I did it as my first 70.3 last year and it was amazing. Then I did Buffalo Springs 70.3 this year and it was good but rough. So looking forward to smashing last years time.

Oh and they changed up the run course just a few days ago and took out all the trail portion. So the run speeds this year should be quite a bit faster than the last few.

Good luck and have a great race!

2013-09-13 1:57 PM

User image

New user
I'll be there too, and I am jumping for joy over the new, changed run course (all roads, flatter). Only thing that could have been nicer is less loops, but no biggie!

TXWildCat, thanks for volunteering! That race was rough... I was sick the week before that and the heat did me in on that run (I finished, but really sloooow). Hope to see you at Kerrville, love that race!

2013-09-13 4:07 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
My buddy and his wife are doing this, they talked me into it over the new course at Onalaska this year. That and I wanted a few more weeks for the weather to cool down. Many thanks for the heads up on the run course change. I'd been studying the old map and hadn't really looked at the site again to see its changed, but I see it now!!!

Good luck to everyone participating!!!

Justin
2013-09-14 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I am looking forward to this race. I have been injured and sick the last 4 months, so I am ready. The Austin Tri volunteering was a great prep.
The beefteam water station was accross from the finish line. We tried to have water, ice, and gels ready for everyone. I hope to see everyone in Kerrville,
2013-09-15 10:06 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by TXwildcat

I am looking forward to this race. I have been injured and sick the last 4 months, so I am ready. The Austin Tri volunteering was a great prep.
The beefteam water station was accross from the finish line. We tried to have water, ice, and gels ready for everyone. I hope to see everyone in Kerrville,

How fast does registration closes?
2013-09-16 10:45 AM

User image

Austin

Originally posted by TXwildcat I am looking forward to this race. I have been injured and sick the last 4 months, so I am ready. The Austin Tri volunteering was a great prep. The beefteam water station was accross from the finish line. We tried to have water, ice, and gels ready for everyone. I hope to see everyone in Kerrville,

That last water stop on mile 5 was what made my day. I got to fill my handheld bottle with ice water, and the whole way up the bridge I just poured it on myself. So if you were the one who helped me fill my bottle with ice, thanks! and even if you weren't thanks for volunteering!

2013-09-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Austin

Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by TXwildcat I am looking forward to this race. I have been injured and sick the last 4 months, so I am ready. The Austin Tri volunteering was a great prep. The beefteam water station was accross from the finish line. We tried to have water, ice, and gels ready for everyone. I hope to see everyone in Kerrville,

It sold out the last 2 years a few weeks before the race, for the half distance at least. I am not sure if the sprint or the oly sell out.

But don't think too hard about it, just sign up! Its a great race.

2013-09-16 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm in doing the quarter distance - still hoping for a clean race where I don't take in too many gels and induce stomach cramps. So I'm basically eating a peanut butter bagel before the race and shutting it down from there.

Any way to find any of you folks out there?

twomarks
2013-09-16 5:39 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by jetsers

It sold out the last 2 years a few weeks before the race, for the half distance at least. I am not sure if the sprint or the oly sell out.

Done!!
2013-09-17 9:24 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas

Done!!

Awesome!!
2013-09-19 9:40 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Yo Man!!!

Can you help with few recon intel. Please

1.) I believe there's 2 Transitions. Are both transitions at walking distance from host hotel parking lot?

2.)Which is preferred set up transition the day before or early raceday am? I never left my bike outdoors i am paranoid about the safety?

3.) Can you walk me through how does the race goes going from transition to transition?

Thanks

Carl

2013-09-20 9:36 AM

User image

Austin

Sure thing.

When you pick up your packet for this race they also give you a few logo'd plastic bags.

A. For Dry Clothes (You hand this in before they close T1. It holds all your warm clothes and things that you don't NEED at transition)

B. For Things you need to Leave in T1 (Wet Suit, Goggles, swim cap, sandals. These things go in the wet bag. EVERYTHING needs to be in this bag as you leave T1, or they donate it to charity.)

C. T2 bag, you drop this bag off at T2 the night before the race. It needs to have your shoes, hat, number belt, socks if you need, nutrition and glide or what ever. (The day before you go put this bag on the rack where you will rack your bike at the end of your ride. Best to make sure you sinch it down tight and make it as water proof as possible since it will be out over night.)

1.) I believe there's 2 Transitions. Are both transitions at walking distance from host hotel parking lot?

You "CAN" walk from T2 back to the host hotel, but it isn't a very nice walk. You have many streets to cross and lots of traffic to deal with. You will be taking your bike and all 3 of your gear bags with you, it makes for a frustrating time if you attempt to do this solo.

From the Host Hotel Parking lot you have about .1 to .25 miles to get to swim start and T1.

From the finish its 1 to 2 miles depending on what roads you take to get back to the host hotel.

2.)Which is preferred set up transition the day before or early race day am? I never left my bike outdoors i am paranoid about the safety?

The day before you will go to T1 and drop off your bike only. You will need to bring the rest of your T1 needs to the race the morning of. (Lot's of races have you drop off the day before. I personally like it. It takes some of the stress out of the morning. Just please don't be like some people. where they get worried that the moisture over night has caused damage so they get to t1 and then re lube scrub and re do their whole set up. Its just annoying and UN-needed. you should have done that a few days before and I think that stuff lasts a little bit.)

Also the day before you will go to T2 with everything you need for your T2 already packing into the bag they will give you and you will attach it to the rack in the place that you will rack your bike after the race. (A tip here, that's a big set up of racks and lots of white plastic bags hanging from it. Last year I tied a green band around my bag so it was easier to find. This year I was going to take some reflective tape and put it around the bag so it stands out more. Not that I should be worried, I am so slow there wont be many bags left compared to bikes.

3.) Can you walk me through how does the race goes going from transition to transition?

Night before drop off bike at t1 and T2 bag at T2.

Morning of Get to T1 with the stuff you need (If not staying at the host hotel, park at the finish way early and they have a free shuttle taking you to T1) (It has been COLD the last 2 years in the morning, bring a jacket.)

Set up your T1, pack all the things that you are not "using in the race" into your dry bag, hand it to the volunteers. (you now have to give your jacket up)

Swim start is from wading. Do your swim get out and run up the hill to T1.

In T1 pack Everything you won't be taking with you on the bike into the T1 bag.

Get on bike and ride like the wind! The first 10 miles are down hill!

Once you arrive to T2 be-careful the dismount line comes up fast when you make the last turn. After that you walk with your bike down what can be a muddy and steep hill into T2. Find your T2 bag and rack location drop bag contents on ground, rack bike, change from riding to running shoes, race number hat etc. Toss helmet in bag leave next to bike, run out of T2

Run your heart off. Lucky for us this year the trail portion is gone so you don't have the 180 degree turn into the steep rocky path.

Finish strong and have the awesome announcer from big mouth call your name out.

Go to T2 and pick up bike and T2 bag, on the way out of T2 a volunteer will bring you your dry bag and T1 bag. Then get to your car or walk to the host hotel.

That is how the day goes at this race, at least for me.

2013-09-20 10:08 AM

User image

Austin

Also

Quick update on whether wetsuits will be legal next weekend: Right now, the water temp is in the low 80s. Colder temperatures are in the forecast, so we think there is a decent chance that it will be wetsuit legal. This is similar to the pattern last year, when the race was wetsuit legal. We'll keep you updated!

2013-09-20 11:02 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Very helpful!!!! This was an awesome write up for us newbies!

Sure thing.

When you pick up your packet for this race they also give you a few logo'd plastic bags.

A. For Dry Clothes (You hand this in before they close T1. It holds all your warm clothes and things that you don't NEED at transition)

B. For Things you need to Leave in T1 (Wet Suit, Goggles, swim cap, sandals. These things go in the wet bag. EVERYTHING needs to be in this bag as you leave T1, or they donate it to charity.)

C. T2 bag, you drop this bag off at T2 the night before the race. It needs to have your shoes, hat, number belt, socks if you need, nutrition and glide or what ever. (The day before you go put this bag on the rack where you will rack your bike at the end of your ride. Best to make sure you sinch it down tight and make it as water proof as possible since it will be out over night.)

You "CAN" walk from T2 back to the host hotel, but it isn't a very nice walk. You have many streets to cross and lots of traffic to deal with. You will be taking your bike and all 3 of your gear bags with you, it makes for a frustrating time if you attempt to do this solo.

From the Host Hotel Parking lot you have about .1 to .25 miles to get to swim start and T1.

From the finish its 1 to 2 miles depending on what roads you take to get back to the host hotel.

2.)Which is preferred set up transition the day before or early race day am? I never left my bike outdoors i am paranoid about the safety?

The day before you will go to T1 and drop off your bike only. You will need to bring the rest of your T1 needs to the race the morning of. (Lot's of races have you drop off the day before. I personally like it. It takes some of the stress out of the morning. Just please don't be like some people. where they get worried that the moisture over night has caused damage so they get to t1 and then re lube scrub and re do their whole set up. Its just annoying and UN-needed. you should have done that a few days before and I think that stuff lasts a little bit.)

Also the day before you will go to T2 with everything you need for your T2 already packing into the bag they will give you and you will attach it to the rack in the place that you will rack your bike after the race. (A tip here, that's a big set up of racks and lots of white plastic bags hanging from it. Last year I tied a green band around my bag so it was easier to find. This year I was going to take some reflective tape and put it around the bag so it stands out more. Not that I should be worried, I am so slow there wont be many bags left compared to bikes.

Night before drop off bike at t1 and T2 bag at T2.

Morning of Get to T1 with the stuff you need (If not staying at the host hotel, park at the finish way early and they have a free shuttle taking you to T1) (It has been COLD the last 2 years in the morning, bring a jacket.)

Set up your T1, pack all the things that you are not "using in the race" into your dry bag, hand it to the volunteers. (you now have to give your jacket up)

Swim start is from wading. Do your swim get out and run up the hill to T1.

In T1 pack Everything you won't be taking with you on the bike into the T1 bag.

Get on bike and ride like the wind! The first 10 miles are down hill!

Once you arrive to T2 be-careful the dismount line comes up fast when you make the last turn. After that you walk with your bike down what can be a muddy and steep hill into T2. Find your T2 bag and rack location drop bag contents on ground, rack bike, change from riding to running shoes, race number hat etc. Toss helmet in bag leave next to bike, run out of T2

Run your heart off. Lucky for us this year the trail portion is gone so you don't have the 180 degree turn into the steep rocky path.

Finish strong and have the awesome announcer from big mouth call your name out.

Go to T2 and pick up bike and T2 bag, on the way out of T2 a volunteer will bring you your dry bag and T1 bag. Then get to your car or walk to the host hotel.

That is how the day goes at this race, at least for me.

2013-09-20 11:22 PM

User image

Austin

i had the swim start wrong up there its a deep start. you get to tread water for a while. its not bad at all though.

2013-09-20 11:40 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

i had the swim start wrong up there its a deep start. you get to tread water for a while. its not bad at all though.

Thanks Joel
2013-09-21 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I ran a nice 10k today. Great weather.

I will be in Beefteam Tri Suit. I will wear a white tennis Visor with SPICEWOOD DEMOLITION DERBY on it. This is the high social event of the summer season in the Hill Country. I am doing the quarter on Sunday. I ride a CAAD 10.

On Saturday I will wear my red longsleave Beefteam shirt. Please say hello if you see me. I am looking forward to the event.

Good luck to everyone.

The beginning of the bike is flat, slightly down hill and smooth. Make good time because some of the bike is rough with chip seal. Not that bad though.

2013-09-22 8:48 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Joel

One last thing i noticed the bike number is placed at the bike top bar as shown in the pic . I experienced this before and it
flaps between my legs and can be bothersome in 3+ hrs bike ride. Any ideas?

Thanks

Carl

(kerrville bike number.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
kerrville bike number.JPG (25KB - 10 downloads)
2013-09-22 12:01 PM

User image

Austin
Yeah thats the way the numbers were the last 2 years, they are just big stickers, you can always put them further up the tube. I have seen some people put them on their seat post. Its annoying but only for 56 miles
2013-09-23 8:44 AM

Austin Texas
Saw on the Kerrville TRI website that the run has changed. It will not run through the dirt/grassy area as they are building a new path. It will all be run on pavement. That's cool as the off road part was a bit rough in some spots.
2013-09-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: poodleboy

User image

New user
I'm on Kerrville weather watch . Currently - 59 low, 83 high, 30% chance of isolated t-storms, 7 mph wind. As long as the thunderstorms don't affect the race going off, doesn't seem like too bad of a forecast!

Can't believe it's this weekend! I'm getting excited!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kerrville Tri Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Carpool from The Woodlands for Kerrville tri 9/28

Started by pmcroome
Views: 758 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 4:34 PM pmcroome

Kerrville Tri Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GomesBolt
Views: 7041 Posts: 73

2012-10-03 10:15 PM ironultrared

Kerrville Tri Festival

Started by jruns
Views: 2768 Posts: 10

2012-05-25 12:20 PM TriPatrick

Kerrville Tri, Sprints in Central TX

Started by TXwildcat
Views: 2581 Posts: 16

2011-10-04 2:56 PM PLMsbr

Kerrville Folk Festival

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 929 Posts: 1

2011-06-07 12:51 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.