General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IM Chattanooga - sign-up today!
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Huh??  The road's are not that bad.  They've re-paved a few areas that were needing resurfacing, otherwise not an issue.  There's a handful of "spotty" areas that have potholes and people would have to know the course well enough to avoid those.

I have biked throughout almost every road in Central PA and I have yet to come across roads like I did at IMWI. Was just my experience. Even IMLP roads were significantly smoother from my experience than IMWI and the LP roads are sig. worse than the ones in Central PA.

Probably a 'relative' thing, but having done IM's at LP, WI an IMMT, I'd score them as 6/10 for LP ,9/10 for IMMT and 1/10 for IMWI. 

Just my *personal* experience. I'm sure I'm 'wrong'

Definitely all relative, but I've done IMWI, IMLOU, Vineman and Redman - IMWI had the BEST roads of all of them!

Won't do Vineman or possibly Redman again due to the awful road conditions. Right in line with the roads at Austin 70.3. Terrible.

/unrelated rant over OMG what is up with this font

Edited by lisac957 2013-09-05 3:25 PM

2013-09-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Fred D Using total gain of elevation is fraught with problems. Depends how they measure it and technical nature of the course etc.

Yep.

On another note, I heard Tahoe was like 25,000 feet. Laughing

. No, no Tahoe has a climb that goes to 25,000'....

I don't believe there are any peaks in Co that are that high. I think the tallest peaks are just over 14,000 ft
2013-09-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: pschriver

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-05 3:32 PM
2013-09-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Master
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by austhokie might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots
For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else. ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!
why? I don't train with a club, but I have no issues with them being given pre-reg...I know the USAT offers pre-reg to certain races (like the nations tri) - do ppl complain about those? (those races seem to sell out quickly)
Why should they? All it will do is drive up costs by causing people to have to pay club dues so they can pre-register. Think of all the people who got shut out of this race this year. If they want to do it next year, they will need to join a club.....for no other reason than to move to the head the the line. Cha-ching!
not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot... I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else) whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair

why would they want to spend any extra time or effort "fixing" this?  on their end its going great, the race sold out instantly.  

And on the flip side, the frenzied fast sellout (aided by the server crash) may have led to a lot of the "Foundation Entry" sales
2013-09-05 3:38 PM

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by pschriver

Originally posted by austhokie might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots
For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else. ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!
why? I don't train with a club, but I have no issues with them being given pre-reg...I know the USAT offers pre-reg to certain races (like the nations tri) - do ppl complain about those? (those races seem to sell out quickly)
Why should they? All it will do is drive up costs by causing people to have to pay club dues so they can pre-register. Think of all the people who got shut out of this race this year. If they want to do it next year, they will need to join a club.....for no other reason than to move to the head the the line. Cha-ching!
not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot... I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else) whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair

why would they want to spend any extra time or effort "fixing" this?  on their end its going great, the race sold out instantly.  

And on the flip side, the frenzied fast sellout (aided by the server crash) may have led to a lot of the "Foundation Entry" sales

You are onto their diabolic plan.....

2013-09-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Champion
Alabama
2013-09-05 6:13 PM

2013-09-05 6:19 PM

Pro
I heard the roads at Lake Tahoe are so bad they have lost 3 riders, and their bikes, in some of the larger potholes.
2013-09-05 6:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Originally posted by pschriver

On another note, I heard Tahoe was like 25,000 feet. Laughing

. No, no Tahoe has a climb that goes to 25,000'....
I don't believe there are any peaks in Co that are that high. I think the tallest peaks are just over 14,000 ft

No, no, no. For this race they found a 25,000'er. Just for this race.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any peaks in CA that top out at 25,000 either Laughing

2013-09-05 7:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Huh??  The road's are not that bad.  They've re-paved a few areas that were needing resurfacing, otherwise not an issue.  There's a handful of "spotty" areas that have potholes and people would have to know the course well enough to avoid those.

I have biked throughout almost every road in Central PA and I have yet to come across roads like I did at IMWI. Was just my experience. Even IMLP roads were significantly smoother from my experience than IMWI and the LP roads are sig. worse than the ones in Central PA.

Probably a 'relative' thing, but having done IM's at LP, WI an IMMT, I'd score them as 6/10 for LP ,9/10 for IMMT and 1/10 for IMWI. 

Just my *personal* experience. I'm sure I'm 'wrong'

Definitely all relative, but I've done IMWI, IMLOU, Vineman and Redman - IMWI had the BEST roads of all of them!

Won't do Vineman or possibly Redman again due to the awful road conditions. Right in line with the roads at Austin 70.3. Terrible.

/unrelated rant over OMG what is up with this font

Agree, all relative.

All these bad roads are messing up the font on our computers!

Could have been just that year as well. The road conditions of the IMWI course and area around it are fairly similar to what I ride on all the time, just more hilly. Any time I travel somewhere the roads seem rather nice to fantastic.

Sorry, not enough time to fix the font entirely.

2013-09-05 8:23 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Regular
I rode part of the proposed course last weekend. I started downtown near the riverfront, travelled south on Broad st through st elmo, then all the way down 193 and back. The southbound trip down 193 is VERY reminiscent of Louisville. It is a net uphill runout of 2-3% (not bad), there are many rollers that have 8-12% grades based on my Garmin 910xt. I had to get out of the saddle quite a few times. I just came back the same way (on 193). The way back was very fast and I was aero almost the whole time.
For those that are going to ride the route as practice, 193 south of st elmo has rumble strips taking up the entire shoulder. You ride in the lane or on the white line, but there is no safety to right of white line. I guess they have a lot of people in walker co. georgia that fall asleep at the wheel. I didn't feel that this was a very safe road for single riders because of this.
FWIW, there was an article in our local newspaper about the open water swim club (COWS - chattanooga open water swimmer) trying to create a swim lane in the river. Doubt it will happen but pretty cool that they are trying to get some protected water for them and the Ironman folks to practice.
2013-09-05 9:03 PM

Master
As I am sure you are fully aware, there was an issue with our registration system that resulted in a number of athletes like yourself being unaware that the race was sold out and unable to complete your registration. We are aware of the frustration and disappointment that this has caused and are sorry.

The inaugural IRONMAN Chattanooga sold out in record time yesterday. We initially believed that the race sold out in three minutes. In reality, the race sold out in less than a minute.

Due to the registration system issues, we are opening additional slots to the 2014 IRONMAN Chattanooga. These slots will be offered to athletes in the order that they logged in to Active.com yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not enough capacity this year at IRONMAN Chattanooga so if we cannot place you into IRONMAN Chattanooga, you will have the option to reserve a slot at one of the following 2014 events based on log-in time and availability: IRONMAN Florida, IRONMAN Arizona or IRONMAN Lake Tahoe.

We will communicate the details of this program to you no later than Wednesday, September 11 2013.

Again, please accept our apologies for this situation

Wonder if this means I still have a chance.
2013-09-05 9:08 PM

Expert
Greenville, SC

wow, what a cluster f'k. offering pre registration slots to other races now? they must be pretty worried about the backlash from this.

honestly the whole window of opportunity thing has completely turned me away from IM for my first full, and it didn't take IMChooChoo to do it.

2013-09-05 9:42 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Saw this on facebook today

2013-09-05 9:49 PM

wow, what a cluster f'k. offering pre registration slots to other races now? they must be pretty worried about the backlash from this.

honestly the whole window of opportunity thing has completely turned me away from IM for my first full, and it didn't take IMChooChoo to do it.

I don't know how many times I've seen someone post something like this over the past 4 years.  For whatever reason that the WTC seemed to fail.  Yet races are still selling out in less than a minute.  They must be doing something right to make up for all the wrongs.

2013-09-06 6:38 AM
in reply to: Jason N

2013-09-06 8:21 AM

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by pschriver As I am sure you are fully aware, there was an issue with our registration system that resulted in a number of athletes like yourself being unaware that the race was sold out and unable to complete your registration. We are aware of the frustration and disappointment that this has caused and are sorry. The inaugural IRONMAN Chattanooga sold out in record time yesterday. We initially believed that the race sold out in three minutes. In reality, the race sold out in less than a minute. Due to the registration system issues, we are opening additional slots to the 2014 IRONMAN Chattanooga. These slots will be offered to athletes in the order that they logged in to Active.com yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not enough capacity this year at IRONMAN Chattanooga so if we cannot place you into IRONMAN Chattanooga, you will have the option to reserve a slot at one of the following 2014 events based on log-in time and availability: IRONMAN Florida, IRONMAN Arizona or IRONMAN Lake Tahoe. We will communicate the details of this program to you no later than Wednesday, September 11 2013. Again, please accept our apologies for this situation Wonder if this means I still have a chance.

Wow, everyone will look at things differently, but man now I almost wish I didn't get in.  I would have loved to do FL or AZ.  I have friends doing both and friends that live at both sites that I could stay with.  Both were higher on my list, I just didn't want to have to deal with the two trip volunteer route just to get in.

2013-09-06 8:35 AM
in reply to: Sous

I don't think its the first time they've done a roll-over into another race because of quick sell out...i'll have to check with a friend, but I think she got one into IMFL this year from another race that sold out super-quick...
2013-09-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Pro
I heard they are expecting Tahoe to sell out in 12 seconds for 2014.
2013-09-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I heard they are expecting Tahoe to sell out in 12 seconds for 2014.

I think the Chattanooga CF was Active.com's fault not WTC. The server crashing is something that should never have happened. WTC pre-selling slots had nothing to do with the server crashing. In fact, that actually meant there were fewer hits on the server than there would have been.

But it the server didn't crash, and a race is expected to sell out in 12 seconds, it seems like a pretty arbitrary way to select 3k participants out the 8k that want to race as it comes down to who has the fastest ISP and can type the fastest.

I propose a new WTC rule - priority goes to first time IMers....then to people who have not done that race previously.....then to people who have only done it once.....then to 3 timers.

Just a thought.

2013-09-06 9:12 AM

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Left Brain I heard they are expecting Tahoe to sell out in 12 seconds for 2014.

come on guys, i think the tri community can beat that by at least 3 seconds.

2013-09-06 9:38 AM

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Left Brain I heard they are expecting Tahoe to sell out in 12 seconds for 2014.

come on guys, i think the tri community can beat that by at least 3 seconds.

so long as you've got a good position in your desk chair and your aero lid on.

2013-09-06 9:40 AM

2013-09-06 9:43 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Pardon me boys.....Chattanooga Choo-Choo IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 4998 Posts: 41

2013-08-30 2:24 PM blueyedbikergirl

Tahoe v. Chattanooga IM

Started by Six13
Views: 1539 Posts: 10

2013-08-22 3:37 PM Left Brain

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1851 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

Look what UPS brought me today!

Started by DRM
Views: 2204 Posts: 19

2006-01-11 9:07 PM vortmax

Timberman and Mooseman Signup Today! Pages: 1 2

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 2098 Posts: 32

2004-11-19 7:33 AM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.