General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just moved to Huntington Beach - fill me in on tri scene! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 9:47 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: Just moved to Huntington Beach - fill me in on tri scene!
Feeling a bit overwhelmed on where to turn. But know you all are out there! Looking for a fun, welcoming group. I've done a few IM's and run the gamut but taken a long hiatus. And this whole "ocean" aspect is a whole new ballgame!

So what are the best races AND who/ what/ where do you all train!

Nice to meet everyone!!

2013-09-05 11:18 PM
in reply to: sportyj

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Just moved to Huntington Beach - fill me in on tri scene!
Welcome! Tons of triathletes in the area. Great race going on this weekend...pacific coast tri. Where did you move here from? Bike: Typically I will head south from HB since that's where the hills are. Pretty flat in HB and Long Beach. Run: depends what you are looking for. Killer hills and trail running at el morro state park. Nice flat but pretty loop (10 miles) in Newport at the Back bay nature reserve. Great group of triathletes meet for a ride at Bonita creek park on Saturdays at 730am. That is about a 10 min drive from HB (off the 73 and University)
2013-09-08 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
Hello and Welcome to HB. HB has been my home for the last 24 years.
Like Anne-Marie stated there are lotsa Triathletes in the area.
I train alone for the most part but there is a local club called OC-Tri Club. I see them at various races.
We have a decent mix of training profiles here. The Santa Ana River trail is a flat, non-stop 30 mile one way trail that starts at PCH and ends at Green River Drive in Corona.
Head into Newport Coast for some decent climbing and from HB into Irvine to Lake Forest for some rolling hills (Santiago Canyon).
Swimming choices are pretty wide open. Corona Del Mar is a common place for triathlete as is Belmont Shore, in Long Beach.
Running is the same as biking. Hit the Beach Boardwalk for flats and Newport Coast for hills.
If want more options send me a PM and I will give you my number and can tell you what I know.
And for races look at TRIFIND.COM there are races for each state on that site.
Mark
2013-09-08 11:18 PM

User image

sportyj from AZ?   You may remember walking with me at IMAZ in 2008, i remember that like it was yesterday.  I am a little north in Torrance, but we get down to Seal Beach - about half way between - and ride the San Gabriel River trail to the dam and back, about 60 miles. 
2013-09-15 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Also check out Tri-Zone, in Los Alamitos. They have weekly rides on Saturdays, a great group of people. They also have a group that rides from various locations on Sundays as well, and a Wednesday evening spin class (bring your own bike & trainer, if you have one).
2013-09-15 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
On the weekend head out to Bayshore in Long Beach in the early morning. You'll meet loads of triathletes swimming out there at sun up.
There are a lot of local clubs Tribe of Long Beach, OC Tri club plus a lot of smaller clubs as well.
For rides you can stay flat by the coast or for hills head north to Glendora Mountain Road. If you want to stay in OC check out Santiago Canyon area.
In OC I can only think of two tri specific shops, Tri Zone in Los Al, and One Tri in Irvine, lots of great bike shops though.
Outspoken in HB is a great group.
Open water swimming check out Corona Del Mar off Marguerite and PCH or Bayshore in LB.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just moved to Huntington Beach - fill me in on tri scene! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Huntington Beach Event - Beach Derby

Started by tjh
Views: 1148 Posts: 2

2011-08-01 1:27 PM Rancid13

huntington beach tri training

Started by tri714
Views: 1680 Posts: 7

2010-09-02 9:15 PM tri714

Huntington Beach Distance Derby

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 1357 Posts: 2

2008-05-27 3:40 PM WaterDog66

Huntington Beach...here we come!

Started by hundoracer
Views: 745 Posts: 3

2007-05-07 9:19 AM TheWookie

Huntington Beach Ca.

Started by recon110
Views: 984 Posts: 10

2007-02-28 7:39 AM recon110
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.