General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food making me nauseous Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 12:38 PM

Regular
Subject: Food making me nauseous
Last year when I trained for B2B half, I remember that I lost my appetite and had to make myself eat. This year training for Augusta, food is making me nauseous. When I force myself to eat, I have a "sinking" feeling and get slightly dizzy like I'm really hungover. I'm eating less than I normally do when training 8-9 hrs wk....now doing 11-12.

I'm pushing harder in my workouts this year but feel strong before, during and after. If it was going too hard, I would expect my workouts to reflect that.

Urinating normally, so don't think hydration is an issue. I certainly can stand to loose another 5 lbs but this just isn't right. I usually have a VERY good appetite. Any ideas?

2013-09-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Subject: RE: Food making me nauseous
could it be something you are eating when you do eat that is causing issues? or maybe lacking in some kind of vitamin defincidncy that is causing it?
2013-09-04 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So when you eat, you're making others sick;P

2013-09-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
One thing I can think of is a blood sugar issue. Maybe you're training so hard on insufficient fuel that you're starting with really low levels, and then eating a lot of stuff with a high glycemic index which causes your blood sugar to spike? For someone prone to swings, that can be a shock to the system. I know I can't start after a hard workout with something really sweet like a dessert or I will get nauseous. Usually something with a mix of simple and complex carbs, some protein and healthy fat, like a bowl of muesli/granola with nuts, fruit, and plain yogurt, or peanut butter and bananas on whole wheat toast, goes down well.

Another possibility is that you're just eating too much too soon, especially if it's hot. Sometimes after a hard effort, especially in cool weather, I need to cool down and rest a while first before I want to think about eating. It's particularly true with running in the heat.

Finally, maybe it's your body's way of telling you you're overtraining? Everyone responds to training stress differently--when I was running at a high level I rarely got the typical signs like soreness, elevated heart rate, struggling with workouts; I'd just suddenly get violent chills, sometimes hours after the workout. It's always been how my body says, "Enough, already! We need a break!" Maybe the nausea and loss of appetite is yours.

One last possibility, if you're female. Could you be pregnant??? I've had running friends who reported similar stuff very early on.....

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-09-05 7:40 AM
2013-09-05 8:00 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Do you log your food so you know what your caloric intake actually is? Perhaps it is not as low as you assume? Are you trying to eat a full meal right after your workout?

If I have a particularly intense training day, or even just a steady slow pace but high volume day, I won't have an appetite to eat afterwards. In general, my stomach doesn't feel ready to absorb food so I'll only eat something small like a banana or cliff bar right after a workout. At some point later (usually 45-60min) I'll start to feel hungry and at that time is when I'll eat my meal.
2013-09-05 9:23 AM

User image

i'm reading the Paleo Diet for Athletes right now and he actually addresses nausea in one of the early chapters...while his focus is on during exercise - he mentions 5 possible causes, plus a catch all

Poor Pacing - going too fast/hard during your workouts and taking in food - so your digestive track can't process what it has taken in
Excessive Fluids
Excessive Nutrients - more nutrients, longer it takes to process
Dehydration
Saltwater Ingestion
or None of the above (aka, the catch all)

i can try to copy/scan these pages and send to you if you want to read

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food making me nauseous Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Favorite "junk food" meal vs good food meal

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2173 Posts: 24

2012-05-20 8:50 PM texasgrrl

What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by 2453V
Views: 6477 Posts: 84

2011-12-23 5:05 PM guppie58

Nauseous during swim today

Started by wrmeyer08
Views: 1036 Posts: 8

2010-07-19 7:52 AM LisaWeehawken

food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Pages: 1 2

Started by montyb49
Views: 3067 Posts: 30

2006-11-16 9:19 AM tkbslc

Food & Hydration Strategy Help Needed! - Olympic

Started by Eightman
Views: 1080 Posts: 6

2004-04-05 7:57 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : February 13, 2005
Wiser athletes treat food as fuel; they knowledgeably fuel before, during and after exercise. They get more out of their workouts and prevent needless fatigue.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : January 24, 2005
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.

date : January 10, 2005
Eating for Endurance: Strategies for Extraordinary Athletes