General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing aero bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 10:59 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Subject: Choosing aero bars
How does one go about choosing the correct areo bar. As far as the style or shape i would like them with the bend on the end so i can comfortably grip them. My question is what about length? Aside from trial and error is there a way to get the right ones with out much trouble. If it helps I ride a 58cm specialized roubaix, I am 6'2".

2013-09-05 5:20 AM
in reply to: comet the dog

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Choosing aero bars
to find the perfect ones... it's going to be trial and error.

On a road bike I like for most people to be on a set of shorty bars. Profile Design and Vision both make some nice clip on sets, among others.

The best way to "estimate" length (sight unseen) is to ride with your forearms on top of your drop bars, and measure *about* how much of your arm sticks out.
2013-09-05 5:48 AM
in reply to: comet the dog

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Choosing aero bars
You should aero bars based on two criteria. First, your bike set up. In your case, I would highly recommend ITU (aka. Shortie) bars, which allows you to maintain your road position, while still get the benefit of slotting in to an aero position. You want to maintain the balance of the bike by keeping your saddle set back (once you fix that position, don't mock with it). Second criteria is your reach, specifically your lower arm length. The elbow pad should be slightly ahead of your elbow on your forearm. If you make a fist and then measure from your elbow to your grip in the middle of the fist, then you have a good idea of what length you will need. This formula won't work too well with ITU bars since you will be riding those further down on your forearm.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing aero bars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 3061 Posts: 5

2009-01-02 12:46 PM caelric

Handle bar + Aero bars for a tri bike

Started by Plissken74
Views: 928 Posts: 3

2008-05-31 11:02 AM newbz

Aluminum Base Bar and Aero Bar Suggestions

Started by ipull400watts
Views: 884 Posts: 3

2008-04-24 10:11 PM newbz

aero bars + bar tape question

Started by tkbslc
Views: 641 Posts: 2

2007-04-03 5:13 PM runpuddrun

profile century bar aero bar?

Started by autumn
Views: 988 Posts: 3

2004-09-23 9:53 PM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : August 7, 2009
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.